Forums > Windsurfing General

Bic techno 160D vs JP Funster 160

Created by BarryDazz Two weeks ago, 19 Nov 2019
BarryDazz
6 posts
19 Nov 2019 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if anyone can compare these two boards and advise on suitability for 100kg old dog moving down from long board. I am going pretty good on the longboard, scratchy gybes, tacks and planning in strong winds.

Which do you think would be a "Keeper" ie one to hold onto longest?

thanks,
Barry

AusMoz
QLD, 1112 posts
19 Nov 2019 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Techno by far!!!

mineral1
WA, 4483 posts
19 Nov 2019 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Techno will take an absolute smashing with little impact to the structure.

Grantmac
80 posts
20 Nov 2019 1:54AM
Thumbs Up

Personally I'd be looking for something a bit higher performance. I think those would get boring quickly.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1028 posts
20 Nov 2019 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Riden both of them. Own the funster and ridden mates 160d. Around similar weight and always the keen beginner ??

hands down the Bic is the more versatile board and will take you further

both have centre board (Bic removable with insert available)

bic gets up and planes much like a purpose built lightwind board always felt with the Funster was working hard. That's probably down to fins.
That is the deal breaker. The Bic takes Tuttle and easier to get some serious fin in for light wind stuff

Both similar width. Funster has soft deck which is nice

however I'm a bit with the previous poster. Given your progress on the longboard maybe try something a little smaller

me I would try some different boards

if it was down to the 2 mentioned and one had to be a personal keeper than the Bic. However if you have kids the Jp is more family friendly ( soft deck)

do you have some big sails to get these boards going. Was wondering if that has been cinsidered

with the longboard light winds are covered.
what wind strengths are you aiming at as this also influences the choice

initialky I used a longboard and an old Bic 283 techno (narrower) as my quiver. Was able to do this as I learnt waterstart on longboard

cherrs Jeff

BarryDazz
6 posts
20 Nov 2019 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..
Riden both of them. Own the funster and ridden mates 160d. Around similar weight and always the keen beginner ??

hands down the Bic is the more versatile board and will take you further

both have centre board (Bic removable with insert available)

bic gets up and planes much like a purpose built lightwind board always felt with the Funster was working hard. That's probably down to fins.
That is the deal breaker. The Bic takes Tuttle and easier to get some serious fin in for light wind stuff

Both similar width. Funster has soft deck which is nice

however I'm a bit with the previous poster. Given your progress on the longboard maybe try something a little smaller

me I would try some different boards

if it was down to the 2 mentioned and one had to be a personal keeper than the Bic. However if you have kids the Jp is more family friendly ( soft deck)

do you have some big sails to get these boards going. Was wondering if that has been cinsidered

with the longboard light winds are covered.
what wind strengths are you aiming at as this also influences the choice

initialky I used a longboard and an old Bic 283 techno (narrower) as my quiver. Was able to do this as I learnt waterstart on longboard

cherrs Jeff

Have also been looking at the Gecko 146....I live in Sydney, sail at Botany Bay - 15-20 knots seems to be quite common over summer. I also will be sailing in Jervis Bay further south which gets a lot of 25-30+ knot days. I have a 4, 5 and 6 at the moment and plan to get an 8. As I am already fairly old and not particularly into adrenaline sports I may end up being happy with a longish board with a dagger board to cruise around on. Maybe even a Kona one or Bic techno 283 would suit? What are you sailing at the moment?

thanks for the help

jirvin4505
QLD, 1028 posts
20 Nov 2019 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Old and slow myself

in my group we have had no fun on the bigger Geckos. Some been bought and quickly sold often for older slalom type boards ie starboard futuras and carves or equivalent in other brands.

what do I ride.... too many boards too little time????

Last season it was Wally Lt and starboard futura 150 around 2010 model.

main sails 8.5 and 7.5 covers up general wind ranges mentioned

also spent a great season on the Kona early on but it got relegated once I found the magic of longboards for light winds

cherrs Jeff

Grantmac
80 posts
21 Nov 2019 1:42AM
Thumbs Up

Which longboard do you currently have?

BarryDazz
6 posts
21 Nov 2019 3:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Grantmac said..
Which longboard do you currently have?

Bic windsup 11 6, its pretty cool

Grantmac
80 posts
21 Nov 2019 4:34AM
Thumbs Up

Look for a cheap used Kona if you want mellow with some progression available.

Or else a 140-160L freeride without a centerboard and preferably a foil box if you want to future proof the purchase.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Bic techno 160D vs JP Funster 160" started by BarryDazz