Forums > Windsurfing General

DEMO WEEKEND SA

Created by tino > 9 months ago, 27 Nov 2007
tino
443 posts
27 Nov 2007 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Glascraft are holding a Demo Weekend on the 8th and 9th of December at Goolwa Aquatic Centre.

We will be putting on a BBQ and drinks. Range of Starboard and MauiSails on offer.

11am til 4pm

Team will be on hand for technical questions, rigging advice and technique.

Grass rigging area, playground and shops near by. Bring the family and friends.

bubs
SA, 924 posts
27 Nov 2007 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds good will be there. I've finished all my exams by then and will be only holidays .......... FINALLY!!!

Cheers
Bubs

tino
443 posts
27 Nov 2007 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Should be a good weekend, and a great opportunity to mingle with the windsurfers of SA. Not enough events out there to bring everyone together.

Happy days

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
28 Nov 2007 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

We will be there!

Susie
SA, 837 posts
28 Nov 2007 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Ask the barrage man to open the gates I'll bring the beer Divaldo

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
28 Nov 2007 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

I like beer........

This should be good guys.....maybe Glascraft should bring some spare fins though! Pretty shallow down there at the moment

prokiterUK
136 posts
28 Nov 2007 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Been told there is enough water.... lets hope.

reiffo
SA, 147 posts
28 Nov 2007 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

This ties in nicely with the KA Sails SA Summer of Speed - Round 2, which will be held at the Murray Mouth on this weekend. It will be a giant slalom course with plenty of vantage points. Round 1 was held last weekend at Boggy Lake.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32521

Let me know if you need any further details.

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
28 Nov 2007 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

reiffo said...

This ties in nicely with the KA Sails SA Summer of Speed - Round 2, which will be held at the Murray Mouth on this weekend. It will be a giant slalom course with plenty of vantage points. Round 1 was held last weekend at Boggy Lake.

I cant believe we missed the first one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Muzza12
NSW, 546 posts
28 Nov 2007 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Reiffo,
Let us know where's the best places for spectators and directions from the Aquatic centre and it'd be great to tie in with you guys.
I'll let everyone know at the demo days.
It'd be great, especially for the newer windsurfers (which we've got plenty of this year already) to see what they can progress towards (At least in the flat water side of things).
Look forward to seeing you there if you have the time, otherwise I'm sure I'll catch you and the other gps speed guys in the shop at some stage.

Cheers
Muzza
Glascraft

WindRyder
SA, 7 posts
28 Nov 2007 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a great idea Muzza. Chris D has done some maps with directions so we will make sure you get some. The comp is about participation with the major prizes being raffled off on the last event so everyone is welcome and the more sails on the water the better the exposure.

Susie
SA, 837 posts
4 Dec 2007 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hope you are putting some small fins on the boards........

Muzza12
NSW, 546 posts
5 Dec 2007 12:55AM
Thumbs Up

*DEMO DAY UPDATE*

Due to the water level at Goolwa and the weather forecast we are moving the Demo days to Milang. (near the caravan park and boat ramp).
Milang has shops, pub, toilets and playgrounds so still bring the family along and make a day of it.
Look forward to seeing everyone there.
Sorry if the move has caused any inconvenience.

Cheers
Glascraft

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
5 Dec 2007 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Bugga!

WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
5 Dec 2007 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone been out at Goolwa of late ?
How much water is actually there ?

Also keen to find out if anyone sails the little reef off Port Elliot... can it be done... does it work in summer seabreeze pattern... has it been done ?

Susie
SA, 837 posts
5 Dec 2007 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

I sailed there on Monday for 2 and half hours. I think it was North West. It was hard to find water. South West is ok cos you can stay in the channel and get some really long runs once you figure out exactly where the channel is located. Its a fine line between pleasure and pain. My back is still killing me from running aground and being catapaulted. More than once. And I have a small fin. The water is really salty but also tastes wierd. The depth in the middle of the lake is about halfway between ankle and knee. Sometimes less. You can lie down on the bottom and still breathe.

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
5 Dec 2007 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

WindWarrior said...

Anyone been out at Goolwa of late ?
How much water is actually there ?

Also keen to find out if anyone sails the little reef off Port Elliot... can it be done... does it work in summer seabreeze pattern... has it been done ?

The reef you are referring to is Bashams beach, it can be sailed, North Westerly or southerly, big bomby to play around on, this place is also referred to as the chicken run, are you coming over?

On topic - Demo Day! :)

russh
SA, 3023 posts
5 Dec 2007 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Wind Warrrioor said - Also keen to find out if anyone sails the little reef off Port Elliot... can it be done... does it work in summer seabreeze pattern... has it been done ?

In reply to Bashams

There are a couple of guys that rave about Bashams reef when Day street gets too big on a nw/w usually a winter type location due to the land based straight Northerlies we get during summer -a bit too off shore - used to see crew surf there on the odd occaison in a big southerly swell and Northerly winds -

Not sure about a sea breeze as that would be pretty cross on - in a S/SE Kent reserve in Victor is OK if there is a decent swell - backhand waves around the corner heading towards the bluff or out on the back reefs

I still can't understand why no-one sails Waits in a NW.

As Divaldo said - back to demo day

Why not hold a demo at Kent reserve - great spot - salt water, sea breeze and plenty of stuff for the kiddies - with a southerly you get blown into the VH beach if you lose it - why is it that no one seems to hold demo's in the ocean!

Cheers

Russ

Susie
SA, 837 posts
5 Dec 2007 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

russh said...

Why not hold a demo at Kent reserve - great spot - salt water, sea breeze and plenty of stuff for the kiddies - with a southerly you get blown into the VH beach if you lose it - why is it that no one seems to hold demo's in the ocean!

Cheers

Russ

Hell, yeah. That would be great!
Cos I heard the edge of the water at Milang was past the end of the jetty. Is that true?

Arlo
SA, 139 posts
5 Dec 2007 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

russh said...

Where is Kent Reserve

Sorry!

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
5 Dec 2007 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Arlo said...

russh said...

Where is Kent Reserve

Sorry!

Bloody Tourists! Hi Steve!

Victor Harbour, between Granite Island and the mainland (West side of the causeway!)

russh
SA, 3023 posts
5 Dec 2007 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Kent Reserve is in Victor Harbor.

You go through town - turn left at the South Coast Hospital - go to the esplanade round about and turn left. - or you can just load your GPS - if I remember you had one in your car!

You sail between the point and Granite island on a SE or you go up wind to the outer reefs and around the point towards the bluff (not quite that far). You need to be a little careful at low tide - best sailed at the higher ends. It is pretty popular with the tea bags so it can get a little busy - they are a pretty reasonable crew and I havn't had any hassles

It's a great alternative to Goolwa - anything is a great alternative to Goolwa come to think of it.

There's a playground, BBQ's and a great walking path to the Bluff.

Its not bad staying at the caravan park that backs onto the beach

I've only sailed it a half dozen times on fresh s - se and it's been good fun for a blast.

Arlo
SA, 139 posts
5 Dec 2007 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like it will be worth a visit some time.

Muzza12
NSW, 546 posts
5 Dec 2007 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Russ,
The problem with demo days in the ocean is that not everyone will sail in the ocean because of the 'FISH FACTOR' , where as virtually anyone will sail in the lakes etc.
I'd love to hold a demo day at Kent Reserve, if we get enough people down this weekend it might give me a bit of leverage with the boss to organize one early in the new year.
I've had loads of customers coming in this season asking where's there enough water to sail? My simple answer... THE OCEAN! (although it's a bit harder to convince people when you're on crutches with one leg bandaged up!)
We've had an absolute ripper start to the season as far as sales goes, particularly for entry level sailors, so as long as no-one gets 'tasted' this summer I think we will definitely see more windsurfers venturing into the ocean.
Maybe if I can get some feedback on a suitable weekend for everyone, I'll start to work on the next demo day.

Cheers,
Muzza
Glascraft

HAIL
SA, 1160 posts
5 Dec 2007 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

YES YES YES ocean would be wwwaaaayyy better! might be worth the boat trip over from the island!!! or could just sail to victor! hahaha NOW then i would be doging "fish". just tell all the friendly freshys to harden up!! and get out to some better spots!! ie. SALT WATER=SURF/SWELL!!!!!!

Muzza12
NSW, 546 posts
6 Dec 2007 1:14AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Chris,
Couldn't agree more!
Let me know when you want to sail across from the island, I've always wanted to do it!
See you at the next demo day.

bubs
SA, 924 posts
6 Dec 2007 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

reiffo said...

Can anyone sail there? i'm just looking to have a sail somwhere where there is water. Wondering if you could give me some directions chris would love to head out. It doesn't sound like theres enough water at goolwa. I would have to use small board, small fin and small sail meaning there has to be quite a lot of wind.

Anyway it would be interesting heading out the the mouth, asuming i can sail there, and if its suitable. I want to go SOMEWHERE this weekend, i have to sail. havn't been out in ages and need to try out the new boards.

Cheers
Bubs

grandfromage
WA, 344 posts
6 Dec 2007 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

hey muzza,

bought a go off you a couple of months ago (pom). demo in the deep blue would be great. going to try to get my "sea legs" off bower road tonight if the wind keeps up. will be there this weekend, can only get there saturday though, looks dubious wind wise doesnt it? do you know anything i dont?

russh
SA, 3023 posts
6 Dec 2007 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Re Muzza - Ocean Demo - I know it would be a big one to organise - I just can't warrant driving off into a snag filled muddy brown water patch to sail gusty flat pooh - Almost as exciting as a fart in a sleeping bag.

For some of us (personal opinion) going fast (I know I know the speed heads are going -do I really know what fast is blah blah) in flat water is fun for the first five minutes - - I don't really think I get a real perspective on a board sail etc until you blast around in the sea, swell chop waves - but I'm severly biased having surfed since my teenage years the river/lake just isn't attractive.

I've always felt that if these freshies dablled in the ocean on a crackin seabreeze they may find that it's actually got a lot going for it and opens so many sailing options from border to border.

Good luck with the demo's-

be great for all SA sailors if a demo showcase could happen with all the brands and both the shops then we can make some real comparisons of gear - a coming together of the windsurfing industry in SA - I'd like to see that -

Cheers,

RH

HAIL
SA, 1160 posts
6 Dec 2007 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Muzza12 said...

Hey Chris,
Couldn't agree more!
Let me know when you want to sail across from the island, I've always wanted to do it!
See you at the next demo day.

yea mate a trip over from jervis to penneshaw would b so cool! the ferry takes about 45mins and i think that it travels around 15 knots??? dont quote me? so i think that we could sail over in about 25-30 mins???? i have thought about it heaps. u just need heaps of windsurfers!!! and mabye a support boat or two? would be a hell adreniline rush! a demo day any time between the 17th of dec and the 6th of jan would suit me perfect!!! im on holidays!!! HOORAY!! it would be sweet to meet some more south aussie windsurfers.

CHEERS, chris.

Muzza12
NSW, 546 posts
6 Dec 2007 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

russh said...

be great for all SA sailors if a demo showcase could happen with all the brands and both the shops then we can make some real comparisons of gear - a coming together of the windsurfing industry in SA - I'd like to see that -

Yeah, I'd like that too, can't see it happening though!
I like your description of 'fresh-water' sailing. Not sure if we should be calling it fresh-water sailing in SA.
Maybe the next gps-speed team should be called the mud-skimmers!

I've started work on the ocean demo day, I might aim for when my broken heal is fixed so I can do some sailing!

Muzza

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"DEMO WEEKEND SA" started by tino