Forums > Windsurfing General

Freeride board for advancing beginner 100+ kgs

Created by mrts A week ago, 14 Sep 2021
mrts
6 posts
14 Sep 2021 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hi. First time poster here... Been searching and reading for hours, but can't quite find what I?m looking for.
Stopped windsurfing 12 yrs ago as progressing beginner, due to moving. At the time I could plane comfortably, start using harness a little, just starting to try gybing+waterstarts and managing a couple so-so ones. All on a GO170 with NCX 8.0 (2006), on a fw lake.

Moving back now I actually dusted off the old rig and figured why not. First 2 minutes on the water I was planing again. The fire was lit. I've ordered some parts to replace old/age-worn stuff (up/out/downhaul, alu boom, mast foot, extension etc. The plan is to use the GO as a LW board+trainer board for my gf.

NOW, I?m 193/102kgs + gear, about same as 12 yrs ago. I?m fit with pretty good balance/coordination. I?m dedicated to spending time on the water, sailing gusty fw lake and sw + coastal waters. Lake is max 0,5m chop, coast is 1.0m. I need to progress from current level and want a new board for myself (GO is for gf). Got some rigs with low end power in sight, and some idea about boards. Due to tests and limited availability I?ve got 2(3) boards that should cover my needs, but have never seen a direct comparison between them in ?my? size..

A) Goya Volar/Volar Pro 145 (only seen test of <130)
B) Severne Fox 140 (have seen the Windsurf test)

1: Has anyone compared/tried these boards in the actual sizes? Thoughts?
2: Do any of these boards definitely fit/don?t fit my level/weight/conditions?
3: Should I consider +/-130l or would that just hinder my progress?
4: Other considerations?
5: Volar vs Volar Pro. Things to consider?

LeeD
3143 posts
15 Sep 2021 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

Stay with 140, you get more good days, won't complain about slogging home, and be able to sail even when you're not "on".

Stick to heavier/stronger construction until you don't fall anymore.
Pair it with a 105-115 liter FSW board for winds 20-35 knots.

Manuel7
666 posts
15 Sep 2021 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

+1 145L+ can take it to 20 knots+.
Eventually 115L when 20-25 knots which will complement well your other board.
145 can go from 7s (maybe high 6s) to 9s sails.

Grantmac
983 posts
15 Sep 2021 3:58AM
Thumbs Up

Whatever you get make sure it can take a foil, you'll get there sooner or later with conditions like that.

Ben1973
642 posts
15 Sep 2021 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

95kg and my fox 140 can be uphauled with a bit of balance, with a 9.2 gets going in 10 to 11knots with a 50cm fin, fun starts at 12knots plus with a 8.6, starts feeling big at 18knots with a 7.8.

im finding my fox 120 get going almost as quick but much harder to get home on if the wind drops. Also if you need to uphaul expect to be knee deep on a very wobbly board.

if your in Canada I can sell you my 140 ??

Sea Lotus
183 posts
15 Sep 2021 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

4: i would recommend you to change your boom to carbon if it is not already, worth the extra, especially at your weight

Obelix
WA, 953 posts
15 Sep 2021 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

+1 what Manuel said.
I'm your size exactly. Used 135L for a while, then replaced it with 145 which is still my main board for up to 23-25 knts winds.
Wouldn't worry about going smaller yet.

Orange Whip
QLD, 915 posts
15 Sep 2021 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ben1973 said..
95kg and my fox 140 can be uphauled with a bit of balance, with a 9.2 gets going in 10 to 11knots with a 50cm fin, fun starts at 12knots plus with a 8.6, starts feeling big at 18knots with a 7.8.

im finding my fox 120 get going almost as quick but much harder to get home on if the wind drops. Also if you need to uphaul expect to be knee deep on a very wobbly board.

Wow, 140 Fox with 95kgs on board planing in 10 knots, that's amazing! Can you post a vid?

aeroegnr
290 posts
15 Sep 2021 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Orange Whip said..

Ben1973 said..

Wow, 140 Fox with 95kgs on board planing in 10 knots, that's amazing! Can you post a vid?

Yeah I'm a little lighter (85kg..ish) on a 145 Blast and I've gotten it going on 9.5/43cm (underfinned) with some pumping, but I think the gusts were closer to 12kts. I bet that 50cm helps quite a bit. My 47 weed fin is huge and is much more suited to light wind with the 9.5 but I just stayed out anyway.

There may have been some stronger gusts but it's hard to say, as the wind station that I use for this is down and this location has a lot of weird patches due to the surrounding land and buildings. I know someone heavier than me that goes out on a goya 160L rigs ~9ish and that seems to plane up pretty early too.

That day, show my first real fin pumping experience right after the intro:

mrts
6 posts
16 Sep 2021 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, guys! Yeah, looks like the 140-145l is about spot on.

The Goya Volar seems (reviews/forums) to be very easy to get planing and for general progression, at 86wide. Looks like a safe bet.

About the FOX 140 and my weight/skill. Is this a good board to progress on? I see divided reviews, some (not all) indicating it may be a board you should only get as an intermediate+. Will I have to wrestle the Fox, or is it a good way to go?

Ben1973
642 posts
16 Sep 2021 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mrts said..
Thanks, guys! Yeah, looks like the 140-145l is about spot on.

The Goya Volar seems (reviews/forums) to be very easy to get planing and for general progression, at 86wide. Looks like a safe bet.

About the FOX 140 and my weight/skill. Is this a good board to progress on? I see divided reviews, some (not all) indicating it may be a board you should only get as an intermediate+. Will I have to wrestle the Fox, or is it a good way to go?

It was one of my first boards when I got back into windsurfing after a 20year break. Had no problems on it, stable and very easy to sail but still quick and fun.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Freeride board for advancing beginner 100+ kgs" started by mrts