Forums > Windsurfing General

Funstar/ RRD

Created by Nev350 > 9 months ago, 1 Feb 2015
Nev350
WA, 13 posts
1 Feb 2015 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hello everyone good someone please advise me, I am still a beginner still learning to water start and handle higher wind strengths and I have been up to now sailing on a 145 ltr jp funstar my wife now wants to learn to sail so I am thinking of donating the funstar to her, my question is i have been looking at a RRD evolution 148ltr as another board for myself. I am just a little concerned I a am going backwards in board selection not forward but please correct me if I am wrong. I am about 75 kg if this helps.

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
1 Feb 2015 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

In my opinion you are going backwards. If you're handling the 145 well, then maybe think about something in the 120ltr range. Depends on a few things: how much do you weigh? Do you get the 145ltr planing? Are you in footstraps? Do you use a harness?

If you're 90kg or less and yes to the other questions, you're ready for something smaller. Like everything, its not black and white. But personally, I think go a bit smaller.

Sputnik11
VIC, 972 posts
1 Feb 2015 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sputnik11 said..
In my opinion you are going backwards. If you're handling the 145 well, then maybe think about something in the 120ltr range. Depends on a few things: how much do you weigh? Do you get the 145ltr planing? Are you in footstraps? Do you use a harness?

If you're 90kg or less and yes to the other questions, you're ready for something smaller. Like everything, its not black and white. But personally, I think go a bit smaller.

Sorry - didn't see the last line. I am 75kgs as well. 120 ltrs will work fine for you while you're still learning. You'll be able to uphaul as well as waterstart.

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
1 Feb 2015 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

I agree with sputnik - around 120 lts (max. Imo) would be the next progression, especially as you are able to confiscate the funstar until you nail it on the smaller board.

At 110kgs, I went from 165lt down to 135lt and to 109lt. Inevitably, the 109 as a sinker, was too small for the majority of our winds so I went up to a 116lt Tabou 3S. Very happy with taking those steps to get where I am now.

Motomechanic
WA, 2 posts
1 Feb 2015 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

I learned on the same jp funster 145. I'm 82kg and was planing, footstraps and waterstarting. I got 2 new boards after moving the funster on recently. A jp slalom 112 and a tabou 3s 96. Can rip around on both fine. I love the jp slalom board and can make jybes most of the time, uphaul ok on it and go reely fast
The tabou is great but I defanitely struggle a bit more with it. Can sail it fine but make a lot less turns than on the jp. I can still uphaul on this board as well (just to see if I could) though it is a bit tricky it can be donr regularly with s bit of practice.
Hope this helps.

Nev350
WA, 13 posts
6 Feb 2015 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Thankyou all for your thoughts I really appreciate it. I didn't waste your advise and went and bought a 118ltr Magic ride, just have to wait now for the freight company. Thankyou

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
6 Feb 2015 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

The 118 will be good...It will be tippy though compared to what your use to.. Spend a day learning to water start properly though, That's all it takes and you'll be sweet. Waterstart unlocks so much in windsurfing, You need to sort this.

My 2 cents, Have fun.

Slickmezzie
WA, 18 posts
6 Feb 2015 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

^^ Totally agree with 2703 on water starting - take the time and concentrate on that and the world of windsurfing will open up for you. It won't take long; a couple of days and you should be right - YouTube is your friend!

And good choice on the board; going down to a 118L will challenge you and it won't be too a big a jump to be frustrating.

Have fun!

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
7 Feb 2015 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Good choice! I was about to recommend a free move board as your next choice. Great to jibe, comfortable and stable enough to up haul.

BSN101
WA, 2255 posts
7 Feb 2015 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Nev350,
I have the JP MR 118 and its a great board. I use 5.5, 6.5 (and looking at 7.5) NP Rydes.
Get yourself on flat water to work yourself & the board out quickly and then let the fun begin.
Im 85kg & uphaul fine and waterstarting is a breeze. But I am still getting used to the width having been off the water for 8yrs!
And she flies real nice!
Enjoy

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Funstar/ RRD" started by Nev350