Forums > Windsurfing General

Gaastra Vapor 7.9 2012

Created by pimalu > 9 months ago, 27 Apr 2021
pimalu
49 posts
27 Apr 2021 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

I bought a Gaastra Vapor 7.9 2012 a week ago. Does somebody has one of them or any of the 2012 Vapors?

It's VERY HARD to put the 2/3 lower cams. I have to replace the two lower battens rods because looks like the previous owner didn't figure out how to put the cams correctly. I think the 3st it's broken too :(

I pull the downhaul until 6cm from the bottom, pull the outhaul, I TRY HARD TO PUT THE CAMS and then full downhaul. There are no spacers on the cams.

Are those sails a "mast killers"?

Thank you in advance

mathew
QLD, 2019 posts
28 Apr 2021 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Try to put on the max outhaul, then completely release the download... try the cams. If that doesn't work, release the outhaul just a little at a time, trying the cams.

If it still doesn't work, ask someone else to give it a try

pimalu
49 posts
29 Apr 2021 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mathew said..
Try to put on the max outhaul, then completely release the download... try the cams. If that doesn't work, release the outhaul just a little at a time, trying the cams.

I didn't release completely the downhaul in any of my sails previously, that's a good idea!!!

I'm the only one who use slalom or racing sails (Formula or Foil)... the others have 3 gears equipment....they fear speed :D :D :D

powersloshin
NSW, 1653 posts
29 Apr 2021 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

I have a gaastra swift 8.3, need to insert the mast in the cams first, before giving it any downhaul or outhaul

muz720
NSW, 81 posts
29 Apr 2021 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Try doing 90% down haul, with out haul on
push cam down from windward side
and push with your knee the underside of the cam
these two opposing forces should pop it on.
think there is a north sails video demonstrating on YouTube

choco
SA, 3995 posts
29 Apr 2021 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Do you have the right mast?

mkseven
QLD, 2309 posts
30 Apr 2021 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Just gotta play with outhaul & downhaul til find point they will go on, often have to drop outhaul off a bit, too much pulls the luff sides tight. Yes the gaastras for some reason were quite painful to get cams on.

Battens snap through use or not popping cams off when derigging.

Not any harder on masts than other sails around that time. Some of the gaastras around then had heavy kevlar load strip in luff (more than most other sails) maybe seemed to make downhaul a bit harder.

pimalu
49 posts
30 Apr 2021 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..
Do you have the right mast?

No, I do use a softer mast

pimalu
49 posts
2 May 2021 5:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mathew said..

That worked flawlessly!! Thank you so much!

choco
SA, 3995 posts
2 May 2021 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pimalu said..

mathew said..

That worked flawlessly!! Thank you so much!

Does the sail rotate? that's why I asked if you had the right mast the diameter may be larger causing the problem.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Gaastra Vapor 7.9 2012" started by pimalu