Forums > Windsurfing General

Lord Howe Island Winter Windsurf Trip

Created by lordhowe > 9 months ago, 27 Mar 2008
lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
27 Mar 2008 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Just wondering if anyone is interested in coming to Lord Howe for a week this winter. Dates 10/8/08-17/8/08. I will be organising it on a for cost basis.
Conditions this time of year are strong SW, perfect for blasting on the azure waters of the lagoon.Lord Howe is a spectacular place to sail. There is a reef break as well for anyone who is inclined. I have 2 x 2bdrm apts & 2 x 1bdrm apts at my disposal. At this stage I'm just trying to ascertain whether there is any interest.
I would help organise to get gear over to the island. Please pm me for further information. I hope noone minds me posting this here but as I said I am doing this just to get some more people to experience this unreal destination, not to make any money.

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
27 Mar 2008 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

tell us more about the reef break, even though I have flat water gear I'm not really into traveling with it but if there is good surf I could be very interested.

DavMen
NSW, 1458 posts
27 Mar 2008 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds really cool?

I can't go anywhere this winter - to busy at work - maybe next year.

mineral1
WA, 4461 posts
27 Mar 2008 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

lordhowe said...

Just wondering if anyone is interested in coming to Lord Howe for a week this winter. Dates 10/8/08-17/8/08. I will be organising it on a for cost basis.
Conditions this time of year are strong SW, perfect for blasting on the azure waters of the lagoon.Lord Howe is a spectacular place to sail. There is a reef break as well for anyone who is inclined. I have 2 x 2bdrm apts & 2 x 1bdrm apts at my disposal. At this stage I'm just trying to ascertain whether there is any interest.
I would help organise to get gear over to the island. Please pm me for further information. I hope noone minds me posting this here but as I said I am doing this just to get some more people to experience this unreal destination, not to make any money.

Great to here your still posting, and reckon a few might take you up on that offer.
Anyway, besides that, you keen to join the GTC as part of FNQ team ( fireibob)He is looking for a team mate, and you dont have to be in same place to be a team.
No cost (except a GPS) and your part of a team that competes Australia wide. Not only that a few get to know you better, and thus the exposure your looking for.
Here is the link to register, we would be real happy to have you on board.
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28011

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
28 Mar 2008 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

Mineral, I have just bought a Navi and am waiting for sam to send me an aquapac & a few other things to get started. I'm keen but have to get organised...will keep you posted.
aus301, there are several breaks on the reef, all work on high tide. haven't sailed them myself because I;m more into flat water /B&Jbut have spoken to guys that have and apparently they are good at this time of year.
I suppose the other good thing about Lord Howe is that it has so much else to offer, amazing snorkeling, walks, fishing. So on the off chance that the wind isn't blowing there arte plenty of good things to do.

mineral1
WA, 4461 posts
27 Mar 2008 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

lordhowe said...

Mineral, I have just bought a Navi and am waiting for sam to send me an aquapac & a few other things to get started. I'm keen but have to get organised...will keep you posted.

X-man
WA, 325 posts
28 Mar 2008 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

Looks awesome from google earth!!! How much are we talking about to get there from WA? Might not be possible this winter but I'll see what happens with work

greenleader
QLD, 5214 posts
28 Mar 2008 1:54AM
Thumbs Up

would love to get back there again, such a great spot.

does the freighter still leave from yamba with your gear?

swoosh
QLD, 1650 posts
28 Mar 2008 3:20AM
Thumbs Up

greenleader said...

would love to get back there again, such a great spot.

does the freighter still leave from yamba with your gear?

i almost got run over by that freighter in yamba 2 summers back when i was learning to sail haha.

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
28 Mar 2008 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

gear would go to Yamba to come over on the ship which goes every fortnight or every 3 wks in winter periods

Wineman
NSW, 1364 posts
28 Mar 2008 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

mineral1 said...

Anyway, besides that, you keen to join the GTC as part of FNQ team ( fireibob)He is looking for a team mate, and you dont have to be in same place to be a team.

Yeah, well Fireibob is usually sailing that far off the coast he'd qualify for the mid-pacific team

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
29 Mar 2008 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

just thought I'd post some photos of the spot in photos- under Lord Howe.
I'm not sure how to do that but I have uploaded them to the photos section. If someone could tell me how to do that it would be great.

mineral1
WA, 4461 posts
29 Mar 2008 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

lordhowe said...

just thought I'd post some photos of the spot in photos- under Lord Howe.
I'm not sure how to do that but I have uploaded them to the photos section. If someone could tell me how to do that it would be great.

The pale green part in the first photo, that the flat water strip?

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
29 Mar 2008 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

yep that's right...just you, the turtles & the mountains

mineral1
WA, 4461 posts
29 Mar 2008 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

DavMen
NSW, 1458 posts
29 Mar 2008 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

What's the climate and water temp like during August?

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
29 Mar 2008 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

it is winter, LHI is a temperate climate so not tropical. Air temps from 14 - 23deg, water temp= steamer, but not really that cold, I'll get the exact figure for you. The last 5 years I have sailed all winter and you never think- i'm not sailing cause it's too cold. wack the steamer on and you are quite comfortable in the water.

DavMen
NSW, 1458 posts
29 Mar 2008 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

lordhowe said...

The last 5 years I have sailed all winter and you never think- i'm not sailing cause it's too cold. wack the steamer on and you are quite comfortable in the water.

Don't really ever think that in Sydney either - just wondering what its like in winter.

Last year I went to Fiji and it was nice to have a break from the cold during mid winter, but I would have sailed Sydney anyway when ever there was any wind (and the misses let me).

Hausey
NSW, 325 posts
30 Mar 2008 3:00AM
Thumbs Up

Lord Howe is a beautiful place! Have kited there a couple of years ago. Had a few days of wind in spring and was awesome - not sure if the wind direction is different in winter though spent some time tacking up and down the reef and it wasn't really a good set-up for wave sailing. Sort of a barrier reef with some deep openings - channels though nothing I saw rated a good wave. Would be enjoyed by people wanting to sail round in the lagoon though. More of a destination for the scenery and an amazing walk up the mountain.

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
30 Mar 2008 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Hausey, I sailed with you one day.I think you borrowed my board . That was SW which is the winter prevailing wind. Apparently there is one break behind Rabbit Island which is good in a SW, but you are right it is more of a blasting/B&J situation. Having said that, if someone was into wave sailing, I am pretty sure they would be able to find something to have a play in.
you should come over for the week.

Willaus0001
QLD, 333 posts
30 Mar 2008 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hey lordhowe,

I have been wanting to go there for ages - friends went about 7years ago and reported back spectacular sailing opportunities.

How much for the week roughly?

very keen.

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
30 Mar 2008 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

If you buy a return ex syd at this time you're looking at $680. I'm still waiting for accom costs. Should know more after tomorrow. Only other cost apart from food will be freight on the gear. To give you an idea, yamba to LHI $390 per cubic metre. Shouldn't be too bad. Bring sails and bits on flight.

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
1 Apr 2008 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone,
Just got quote from Hideaway apts for this period. Cost per person would be $80 per night.
If anyone wants to check out the place, go to www.lordhowe.com and follow links to Hideaway. This is just one of the options but I think it is one of the most reasonable. I am still waiting for the pandanus prices. Of course if you wanted to go totally up market, you can. Again, check website for the full range of accom.
At the moment there are no seats booked on the flight of 10/8(Syd-LHI). Returning from LHI to Syd there are 3 seats booked.(of a possible 32)
Flights qantaslink if you were to book and pay now would be around $680 ret. I would say there would be a few Frequent Flyers available.
Only other cost will be freight on gear, maybe $150-$200 p/p, won't know exactly till I know how much gear.
Other costs will be food & $25 to join the LHIAquatic Club membership and waterfront gear storage.
I suppose now it is just a matter of booking. Let me know what your thoughts are.
Cheers

Mobydisc
NSW, 8580 posts
1 Apr 2008 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

If you were in Sydney, what would be the best way to get your luggage up to Yamba for the trip over?

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
1 Apr 2008 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Take your luggage on the plane, in terms of kit, we'll have a central point where everyone drops their stuff and then i will organise to get it to Yamba and then over on the boat.
By the way, I just checked FF points on qantas and had no trouble getting availability for Syd-lhi on 10/8 & returming on 17/8.

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
1 Apr 2008 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

sorry moby- a central point in Sydney. I would take sails and as much sundry gear on the plane.

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
2 Apr 2008 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone,
Just got quote from Hideaway apts for this period. Cost per person would be $80 per night.
If anyone wants to check out the place, go to www.lordhowe.com and follow links to Hideaway. This is just one of the options but I think it is one of the most reasonable. I am still waiting for the pandanus prices. Of course if you wanted to go totally up market, you can. Again, check website for the full range of accom.
At the moment there are no seats booked on the flight of 10/8(Syd-LHI). Returning from LHI to Syd there are 3 seats booked.(of a possible 32)
Flights qantaslink if you were to book and pay now would be around $680 ret. I would say there would be a few Frequent Flyers available.
Only other cost will be freight on gear, maybe $150-$200 p/p, won't know exactly till I know how much gear.
Other costs will be food & $25 to join the LHIAquatic Club membership and waterfront gear storage.
I suppose now it is just a matter of booking. Let me know what your thoughts are.
Cheers

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
2 Apr 2008 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Just wanted to post in this main thread for this trip that Windsurf n Snow will be organising for 09 JP/Pryde gear to be on the island for demoing.
Very nice...

bigmark100
NSW, 584 posts
28 Apr 2008 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

whats the wind like at this time of the year? ie May...
is it possible to kite?
thanks

lordhowe
NSW, 209 posts
29 Apr 2008 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

at the moment the island is getting lots of wind. May is the start of the strong SW.
check this site to get up to the minute stats:
www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60801/IDN60801.94995.shtml
you can kite, the only thing is you have to check the plane arrivals if you're sailing the lagoon and the planes are approaching from that side.

DavMen
NSW, 1458 posts
29 Apr 2008 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

lordhowe said...

you can kite, the only thing is you have to check the plane arrivals if you're sailing the lagoon and the planes are approaching from that side.

In that case, I imagine that the aviation authorities would make Kiting there a no-no.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Lord Howe Island Winter Windsurf Trip" started by lordhowe