Forums > Windsurfing General

Maui Advice

Created by Corkers > 9 months ago, 28 Apr 2008
Corkers
NSW, 154 posts
28 Apr 2008 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Thinking about a trip to Maui in late October/November. Anyone know what the wind would be like around this time? Would it be worth going there to do some windsurfing at this time of year?? Is there plenty of flat water sailing locations?? Any advice appreciated

divaldo
SA, 2846 posts
28 Apr 2008 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

geez, dont get me started on this topic,

You will be OK with wind, might get some swell around this time as well. best time for wind is May - August (we are going in July this year). There are plenty of places for sailing, Kanaha is probably the best and most accesable, then there is camp one, spreckelsville, and if you get a Kona wind you can sail at Kihei (good flat water)

Try and go for at least two weeks, gives you a good window of opportunity, plenty of hire gear, eben for the day, but better rates for longer of course,

Anything else?

Corkers
NSW, 154 posts
28 Apr 2008 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Divaldo, Any ideas what the temperature is like, does it ever get cold in Maui?? Is Kanaha good for flat water?

divaldo
SA, 2846 posts
28 Apr 2008 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure of temperature in Oct Nov, but June is around the 28-29 degrees all day, balmy nights yadda yadda, Kanaha has flat water on the inside, some waves out the back (about 300 metres out there are reefs that you can muck around on)

June July there is little swell making it a good spot to have flat water sailing, but get a bit of swell over the reefs and it jacks up a bit.

If you want flat water go in June July.

timford
NSW, 509 posts
29 Apr 2008 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

Hey there, don’t go in Feb whatever you do, we went for 2 weeks with very little wind. However Kanaha is a great spot as divaldo said. We thought Kihei was greatly underrated by the local's as we had a couple of good days there when there was nothing at Kanaha. There is a good spot just past Paia before Mama's Fish house Kuau. Kanaha is the pick of the bunch when the wind is up unless you are a wave guru.
Hire a van with gear racks (Al West), it saves so much mucking about and you can hire pretty much any/as much gear as you want. Hi Tech have bigger freeride boards but the Naish gear was pretty dam slick. What ever you do dont waste time taking your own gear.
Basically the place blows your mind with windsurfing and water sports, its mega chilled out, just stay away from the Lahaina and that side of the island (where the US tourists go).
Have a blast we will head back every 2 years or so from now on (not in Feb)

Azz
VIC, 44 posts
29 Apr 2008 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Corkers

I was there last year from late October to mid November. I sailed about 17 out of 21 days. Boardshorts only, so no need for a wetsuit. I only sailed Hookipa, but there where heaps out at spreks and Kanaha. Kanaha is usually the favoured flat water spot. But it can also be fun on the other side of the island at Kihei, flat water at that time of the year.

Herbylyn
QLD, 214 posts
29 Apr 2008 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, we went in June and had all July and a bit of August...we were there for 42 days and sailed on 41 of them using 4.0 and 4.5. The wind was in just all day. Great time.

divaldo
SA, 2846 posts
29 Apr 2008 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Herbylyn said...

Yeah, we went in June and had all July and a bit of August...we were there for 42 days and sailed on 41 of them using 4.0 and 4.5. The wind was in just all day. Great time.

Amen!

NR
WA, 507 posts
29 Apr 2008 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Thats usually a good time for waves. Chances are there will still be wind the majority of the time, but more like 4.7 to 5.5 wind. Boardies are enough most days. Some of the locals will think its getting chilly.

For flat water, kanaha is the best pick. Kihei is an option.

By the way, when people say kanaha is the flat water spot. What is meant is that there is a reef 400-500 meters out that blocks all the waves. The inside is very flat and is where they even hold slalom races. The reefs can get good waves but if you didn't want to, you don't have to go anywhere near them. Upper Kanaha has a larger inside section and if you want to blast around, you can work your way up wind and sail around to your hearts content without having to go in waves.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
29 Apr 2008 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Cool...I'm thinking of going next year in April or May, for a couple of months... so many questions...what's the cheapest way to stay long-term? Get a room in a share house with uni students, or are there campsites etc where you can stay for a reasonable price? How about transport for non-drivers? Maybe a bike trailer would be the go???

NR
WA, 507 posts
29 Apr 2008 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

April/May is similiar to Sep/Oct. In that its not as windy as July, but you should still be out the majority if not all days, and there are chances that you can get swell. Less 4.0 days and more 5.0 or 5.3 days.

Unfortunatly public transport is virtually non existent and there isn't really anywhere you can stay where you don't have to travel. The only real options for this is staying at camp1 and sailing straight out the front, which is pretty expensive as you can imagine or staying at kuau and sailing there, where you could easily then sail up past lanes to hookipa. Thiss expensive too. It would actually be cheaper to stay somewhere else and get a car. You don't see many bike trailers around and it may not be that safe riding around with them anyway. The roads aren't exactly bike friendly.

They are actually clamping down on unofficial holiday rentals so all thats up in the air at the moment as there are hardly any official rentals on the north shore. And none are that cheap. There are a couple of camping spots. Its ok for a night if you have to, but the ones near the beach are not really for tourists as such and they are not designed for long term, and not really designed for some one with a stash of gear on display. You are suppose to contact the local council to get a permit for the night. Its more for locals wanting to camp out and fish. There is one other campsite at about 6000 feet or something up the volcano which is designed for 1 night stays and thats all I can think of. So nope, no camping.

If you want cheap, and staying there for a few weeks at least or month you may find someone people advertising for rooms to let. There are a few maui windsurf blogs that you can contact, these will be able to give you numbers and emails. This is becoming more difficult now they are clamping down.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
29 Apr 2008 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

NR said...
If you want cheap, and staying there for a few weeks at least or month you may find someone people advertising for rooms to let. There are a few maui windsurf blogs that you can contact, these will be able to give you numbers and emails. This is becoming more difficult now they are clamping down.

That sounds like a go. Why are they "clamping down"? anyway? What's the point of that? It's supposed to be a free country, right?

NR
WA, 507 posts
29 Apr 2008 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

Not really sure why, who knows. But there used to be tons of freely advertised rentals where people rent out a room or two. Last year, loads of these were forced to shut down and only rentals with the right permit allowed to operate. I am not sure if that has been relaxed recently again.

There has been some strange goings on, like the 10 man rule being enforced one day, and nearly approval of the 200 meters within a swimmer rule.

This guy seems to know what is going on mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/

NR
WA, 507 posts
29 Apr 2008 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Not really sure why, who knows. But there used to be tons of freely advertised rentals where people rent out a room or two. Last year, loads of these were forced to shut down and only rentals with the right permit allowed to operate. I am not sure if that has been relaxed recently again.

There has been some strange goings on, like the 10 man rule being enforced one day, and nearly approval of the 200 meters within a swimmer rule.

This guy seems to know what is going on mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/

Azz
VIC, 44 posts
29 Apr 2008 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

It is only legal over there to rent out your house for Holiday rentals, if you have a permit to do so.

It has always been this way, but now they are clamping down on it.

I stay over there with locals, and what can happen is when a house is rented out the "Holiday Renters" make lots of noise, and things in the neighbour hood go missing, and the locals complain to the authorities.

I suppose its the same, as if lots of houses in your street became short term rentals, probably not so peaceful aymore.

Anyway I have stayed at the Kuau Plaza before, basically next to Hookipa. Its clean and next to the beach. I think rates are quite cheap. It has a kitchen ect, and to save $$$ you can have a room with a share kitchen/toilet. You can rig up out the front and swim your stuff out (easy when you have done it once or twice) and sail up to Hookipa, but not recommended if you only sail flat water, then you would drive down to Camp1 or Kanaha.

divaldo
SA, 2846 posts
29 Apr 2008 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Unregistered Holiday rentals are illegal, always have been, just being poilced a bit more these days, Stems from the shortage of rental properties for locals I think, due to investors buying porperties and only using them as holiday rentals, not general rentals for locals.

Kuau village is a good choice, right on the highway though, but close to shops, surf, walk to Hookipa etc....

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
29 Apr 2008 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

When you say these places are reasonably "cheap", what do you mean?

divaldo
SA, 2846 posts
29 Apr 2008 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

$100 is cheap

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
29 Apr 2008 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

divaldo said...

$100 is cheap

$100 for what?

With or without boom boom?

divaldo
SA, 2846 posts
29 Apr 2008 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

$100 per night in Maui is cheap, for accomodation!

timford
NSW, 509 posts
29 Apr 2008 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

$100US is piss cheap, even $150US is cheap now with the registration. www.vrbo.com is worth a look.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
30 Apr 2008 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Well, not wanting to argue with those who've been there, but I have a feeling it can be done cheaper than that. My uncle went to the Big Island last year and he said you could stay in a backpacker's dorm for $20 a night. Sure you'd have to put up with a bunch of drunken tourists, but you'd be so stuffed from sailing that you'd sleep through anything, I reckon. But that's the Big Island, not Maui, I know.

I shall do more research! Homeless shelters, crackhouses, bridges... where there's a will there's a way! Ain't nobody getting a hundred bucks a night out of me!! No way Jose!!

NR
WA, 507 posts
30 Apr 2008 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

There are dorms.

There are a couple in wailuku. banana bungaloo is one of them. Thats about 10-15 minutes from kanaha in the working part of the island.

There is a hostel in paia called Rainbow's end. I think about 500 -600 per month. If you are travelling alone, and want to do it on a budget, then this is your best option.

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
30 Apr 2008 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Would anyone be able to name a few places in Maui that have decent/current windsurfing gear for rental. Or preferably a few website links. Thanks.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
30 Apr 2008 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

ejmack said...

Would anyone be able to name a few places in Maui that have decent/current windsurfing gear for rental. Or preferably a few website links. Thanks.

Yeah...and how about rentals at the beach, as opposed to picking gear up and taking it somewhere yourself? How much would one expect to pay per day?
I really AM going to do this without driving, somehow!

timford
NSW, 509 posts
30 Apr 2008 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

I used Hi-Tech (Bigger boards), Naish Centre Maui (hot kit), Neil Pryde Test Centre (heaps of kit) there is also Maui Windsurfing Company, Second Wind, Hawaii Island Surf and Sport - All on Hana highway within 5 mins from each other. Hot Maui Sails is on the road to Kanaha with Simmer Sails in Paia. All really friendly and helpful.
Try this site, I found it tops.
www.mauiwindsurfing.net

timford
NSW, 509 posts
30 Apr 2008 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

One more thing! All the rental places have the latest kit or less than a season or 2 old. Did not try rentals at the beach park as we had a van (a mighty great van)!

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
30 Apr 2008 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

I propose a contest...see who can do Maui the LONGEST and the CHEAPEST, and get the most water time!

The winner gets a seabreeze t-shirt...?

Mobydisc
NSW, 8587 posts
30 Apr 2008 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

The cheapest way would be to buy an old van, something like an American version of a Mitsubishi L300, and live in the back.

It looks like there is plenty of jungle at Maui so camping out in the bush could be the go. I guess you would have to keep on the move to beat the fuzz & getting kicked out of the country for vagrancy.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
30 Apr 2008 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Damn, now I REALLY regret not having gotten my drivers licence 20 years ago. Why was I so slack? If only I'd known I was going to take up windsurfing, and that I would actually need a vehicle for windsurfing at some point!!! Damn damn damn...bugger...drat...poopies...

timford
NSW, 509 posts
30 Apr 2008 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

go to the RTA tomorrow!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Maui Advice" started by Corkers