Forums > Windsurfing General

Maui Aloha Clinics or Surfari Lodge Fiji - Advice

Created by Searcher > 9 months ago, 17 Jul 2014
Searcher
12 posts
17 Jul 2014 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

I was looking into a holiday around October time and heard about Aloha Clinics in Maui and Surfari Lodge in Fiji.

I've read a couple of threads about the Maui clinic (all positive) but not much on Surfari lodge.

I am looking to improve as much as possible in 1 or 2 weeks as I can't find any credible windsurf courses / instructors here in Sydney (I'm based in Mascot).

Firstly where is better for wind in October? (I could go in September but would miss the Aloha Clinic) last thing I want to do is fork out all that money to get skunked with no wind (happened with waves on 2 trips to Fiji !!).

Is anyone thinking of going to the October Aloha Clinic?

Which option would be best for improving as quick as possible, Aloha Clinic or lessons at Surfari Lodge?

Does anyone know how good the equipment is at Surfari lodge? (I don't think it'll be a problem getting any in Maui).

Has anyone got any advice / tips for either?

Or any other options which won't send me too broke......

Really appreciate any help I can get, I've been saving up for this for some time and don't want to make a bad decision.....

Thanks,

Tim

gregob
NSW, 264 posts
17 Jul 2014 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

I have never been there but I don't think a review from 7 years ago is very useful. Have you been there recently?

Searcher
12 posts
17 Jul 2014 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Although I appreciate the response ka43, I do agree a lot can and does happen in 7yrs......

It'd be great to hear from someone who had been there recently?

Really keen to hear about the Aloha Clinics as well.

ka43
NSW, 3062 posts
17 Jul 2014 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Nah never been there. It was sent to me yesterday, didn't even read it. Thought it might be relevant, if not sorry.

FormulaNova
WA, 14044 posts
17 Jul 2014 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

How hit and miss is the weather in Hawaii? I went to Fiji twice and the wind seemed to go for a few days, then nothing for a few days, and then back again. I figured this is probably the normal pattern, but I can't say for sure.

Is Hawaii more consistent?

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
17 Jul 2014 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Depending on your current skill level?

if you are on the beginner side then Fiji would be a friendlier place to learn, water is flat.

i haven't stayed at Safari lodge but I have sailed from the beach they operate on. When I was there, quite a few years back, their gear looked decent. Best to get in touch with them and check.

As far as picking the weather I think the odds are better for Maui, I've been there 8 or so times and had good wind for majority of the time, but not all the time. However, You are going a bit late in the season, June to sept is usually the best for winds, later in the year better for waves.

Searcher
12 posts
17 Jul 2014 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not a beginner, more a low level intermediate (if there's such a thing).

Just after good instruction from people who know their stuff somewhere where I have the most chance of wind (and a tan).

Be great to hear from someone who's been to Safari Lodge even better both!

Always fancied going to Maui though....

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
18 Jul 2014 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

i did the clinic with mat and shawna in June and it was a blast.
They are both great instructors and will help your sailing a lot.

Maui is always awesome place to go - that time of year the wind will be less consistant but you will get better wave riding conditions which is what the clinic is all about.

Gear hire there is awesome - can try out all the latest gear.

Would be at the top of my list for sailing in the pacific.

Yuppy
VIC, 663 posts
18 Jul 2014 2:31AM
Thumbs Up

I went in October last year. Best trip ever. Matt and Shawna rock.

Check out my review. I'll dig out the link.

i had massive advances in my skill level.

loved it so much I took the family back in April and had some one on one lessons with Matt. He taught me to forward loop.

going back again for another aloha clinic.

if y are wondering what the wind is like in October check out internationalwindsurfingtour.com/

Some me answers below that hoody asked me. Hope this helps:

I'm considering going in October on my own and as it's not cheap I want to be sure it's worth it.
Definitely worth it. Especially if you have a day job, kids, work stress. It's a holiday by yourself to treat yourself.How did you find it?
Awesome. First trip introduced me to wave sailing. Second trip taught me the forward loop. This trip is the duck jibeHow were the rest of the group?
40 to 60 year olds. Mainly solo people. Some couples. A variety of skill levels.If you don't mind me asking what were the costs associated with the trip? Clinic, accommodation, rental etc? Basically what should I budget for all up for the 7 days including food etc?
Email Matt and Shawna for a quote. They are responsive. Is it good value for money or would going and booking in 6 or 8hrs of 1 on 1's with Matt be better?
Clinic is better. It's more structured and you learn a truckload from other sailers and hearing the tips they get.Did you rent kit through Matt direct or Vela? Their quote seems more expensive than Matt's advertised one and he provides 3 sails?
I rented through vela. Great kit. They give you what ever you want. We chopped and changed heaps.Is there anything you'd do differently?
Go more often.Any tips you can give me?
Wear gloves.
Do lots of chin ups.Cheers mate, I'd really appreciate any advice you could throw my way. Cheers,

Searcher
12 posts
18 Jul 2014 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that Yuppy,

Seems to be a bit of interest from Aus for the October clinic if Hoody? is asking also.

I noticed on a US forum that you can stay right on the beach where the clinics are held or wherever else and turn up each day. Which did you do? is it a hassle staying elsewhere to save some $$$?

Someone else in that forum mentioned that you could share the cost of a two bedroom apartment at the beach with another attendee which is more cost effective than a single studio? (This note was made a year or so ago so may not be relevant now).

I always feel I am pretty young to the sport (38!!) but you seem way more competent than I am. I'm just wondering if I need a season more under my belt before I give the clinic a go. I'm planing in the harness & straps (waaaaaaaay out of control), can't jibe or tack except on a bigger board, can beach start & water start if its 20knts+. Do you think I'm up to it yet?

really appreciate you guys taking the time to help...

Cheers

Tim

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
18 Jul 2014 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

I also rate the Aloha clinics, have been on 2 now. The location is fine for your level, there was a couple at similar level at last clinic I was on, and their improvement rate was rapid, they got just as much tuition as the other advanced sailors. Age groups ranged from late twenties to 60's, but you didnt really notice that, everyone in the windsurf group bonded quickly and the ages and levels didnt matter at all.

The beachside accomo is excellent. Most stayed there, a few stayed in other places and drove to the site each day. I would say if you're travelling on your own, there's more social interaction by staying in the beach accomodation.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
18 Jul 2014 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Give New Cal a thought, way closer.... you'll save on the airfare, no clinics (except for stitches) but for a couple of hundred bucks my son will teach you all the tricks....

Searcher
12 posts
18 Jul 2014 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Whats the wind like in New Cal in October time?

Is you son up to date on his PL insurance?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
19 Jul 2014 6:48AM
Thumbs Up

tradewinds kick in at the end of September til April at least. 15/20 knots nearly everyday.

:-)

Yuppy
VIC, 663 posts
19 Jul 2014 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Hey searcher your level is perfect for aloha.

Dezza is spot on with his comment on accom.

Here are some prices I got last week for sprecks per night :

Studio?$255.19
2BR Makani?$396.96?
????
Last week there was one studio and one two bedder left for oct.

Searcher
12 posts
19 Jul 2014 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info Yuppy.

I suppose I could ask Mr Pritchard / Vela to pair me up if there was another solo?

Mate of min stayed at some place called Plantation House, it was about $100+ a night cheaper than beach front and only a min stroll to launch at Sprecks. Could be an option???

Beach front with everyone else would be heaps better though....modern day problems....

Gotta make a decision soon before I miss out or the wife changes her mind and I have to stay put in beautiful Mascot!

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
19 Jul 2014 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Searcher said..
Thanks for the info Yuppy.

I suppose I could ask Mr Pritchard / Vela to pair me up if there was another solo?

Mate of min stayed at some place called Plantation House, it was about $100+ a night cheaper than beach front and only a min stroll to launch at Sprecks. Could be an option???

Beach front with everyone else would be heaps better though....modern day problems....

Gotta make a decision soon before I miss out or the wife changes her mind and I have to stay put in beautiful Mascot!

I'd definitely recommend staying on the beach. It makes for a much more relaxed holiday. Your gear stays rigged and ready to go. The place I stayed on Sprecks also had a nice spa tub right in the edge of the beach, so you could watch the action when too tired to sail. :)

Mastbender
1972 posts
19 Jul 2014 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Not sure about the dates of the Maui clinic, even though I'm familiar with the two principals (Matt and Shawna) both great people.
But, at the end of October is Halloween, and Halloween in Lahaina is a total hoot, it's like the Mardi gras of the Pacific, serious partying with a great parade around sunset. Drinks all around, but it's good if you could stay within stumbling distance of the place.

tomp
NSW, 687 posts
19 Jul 2014 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Try VRBO.com & you can search by zones in Maui. search 'cold and windless' and there are posts from beachfront Maui.

It's about $US 600 p.n. I think.

Searcher
12 posts
20 Jul 2014 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Tomp that's a great tip.

When you guys went there who did you hire your boards and rigs from?

Is it worth shopping around or do you just go to whoever has your chosen brand?

Searcher
12 posts
22 Jul 2014 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

So no one has been to Surfari Lodge in Fiji?

Thinking Aloha Clinic is the go, just gotta try and make it work financially, more expensive when you can't split the accommodation with someone.

Do the clinics start early or at 11:00 when you can get on the water? Or is it a full day for 7 days?

Keen to check out a bit of Maui as well.

Mastbender
1972 posts
22 Jul 2014 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Take a walk along the walk that goes behind all the high end resorts along Kaanapali beach, starting at the Sheraton and working your way south. Jump into their swimming pool, swim across it, then walk down to the next hotel, jump into their pool swim across it, then head to the next one, and then the next one, and the next one, and the next one, and so on. It's a great way to spend an afternoon as well as checking out all the high maintenance babes in bikinis along the way.
You'll get an eyeful.
There's more to Maui than just windsurfing.

Searcher
12 posts
22 Jul 2014 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Probably the best advice yet Mastbender....thanks

MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
22 Jul 2014 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Searcher, check your messages.

Searcher
12 posts
23 Jul 2014 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Just did.

Check yours

sunday
QLD, 11 posts
25 Jul 2014 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Searcher said..
Just did.

Check yours

Select to expand quote
Searcher said..
Hi Guys,

I was looking into a holiday around October time and heard about Aloha Clinics in Maui and Surfari Lodge in Fiji.

I've read a couple of threads about the Maui clinic (all positive) but not much on Surfari lodge.

I am looking to improve as much as possible in 1 or 2 weeks as I can't find any credible windsurf courses / instructors here in Sydney (I'm based in Mascot).

Firstly where is better for wind in October? (I could go in September but would miss the Aloha Clinic) last thing I want to do is fork out all that money to get skunked with no wind (happened with waves on 2 trips to Fiji !!).

Is anyone thinking of going to the October Aloha Clinic?

Which option would be best for improving as quick as possible, Aloha Clinic or lessons at Surfari Lodge?

Does anyone know how good the equipment is at Surfari lodge? (I don't think it'll be a problem getting any in Maui).

Has anyone got any advice / tips for either?

Or any other options which won't send me too broke......

Really appreciate any help I can get, I've been saving up for this for some time and don't want to make a bad decision.....

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Probably too late for you but I just stayed at Safari Lodge and wouldn't go back. Overpriced, overrated, all the kiting is in ocean chop and unless you're pretty good you can't launch and land yourself because there is no beach only coconut trees and reef. You have to rely on the boat and wait for everyone else to be ready.

As far as I could see everyone took their own gear so I don't know how good the gear is but the prices for lessons were way more than Australia, and that was on top of the "kitesurfing package" prices which were already steep if not ridiculous.

Hope you booked Maui.

Yuppy
VIC, 663 posts
26 Jul 2014 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Searcher said...
So no one has been to Surfari Lodge in Fiji?

Thinking Aloha Clinic is the go, just gotta try and make it work financially, more expensive when you can't split the accommodation with someone.

Do the clinics start early or at 11:00 when you can get on the water? Or is it a full day for 7 days?

Keen to check out a bit of Maui as well.

The clinics start about 11. There is no time restriction at spreaks (unlike hookipa) it's just that the wind is not usually up until 11. A couple of mornings you might surf on sups.

Also. You will be Rodgered after about three days. Learning to ride waves is very exhausting

The mornings are spent reviewing videos and on land tuition. .

Searcher
12 posts
28 Jul 2014 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Sunday,

I appreciate your input.

I don't suppose you got to check out the windsurfing kit whilst you were there did you?

As I am going there purely to sail (not kite) the launch issues won't effect me, I hope!!

That said and assuming I wouldn't be kiting, would you still advise against going there?

Cheers.

FormulaNova
WA, 14044 posts
28 Jul 2014 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Searcher said..
Cheers Sunday,

I appreciate your input.

I don't suppose you got to check out the windsurfing kit whilst you were there did you?

As I am going there purely to sail (not kite) the launch issues won't effect me, I hope!!

That said and assuming I wouldn't be kiting, would you still advise against going there?

Cheers.

Searcher, to give you my unbiased advice for that location, the problem is with the coral. At low tides, its fine as you know exactly where the coral heads are and you just have to walk a bit to get past them. At high tide, you clear them easily. Its in between where a person new to that spot is unsure about how deep they are, and if you are like me and my companions on the trip, you break fins on the reef. At least they were powerbox so the fins broke instead of the board. I wouldn't try the same with a tuttle box fin.

I know Ral Inn runs kiting trips there, as do a number of other groups. It sounds like for kiting, the boat trip is needed, obviously not for windsurfing.

sunday
QLD, 11 posts
28 Jul 2014 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Searcher said..
Cheers Sunday,

I appreciate your input.

Cheers.

FormulaNova said most of it but I did ask the windsurfers why they walked out so far at low tide and they said they had to get through "keyhole" in the reef. It seemed a bit of a trek to me especially carting a bloody great board and sail over coral (everyone had booties). I agree with the half tide bit being the hardest, I saw a few broken windsurfer fins when I was there and some nasty dents in boards where they hit the coral.

If you are using Safari Lodge's gear I'd definitely check out his policy on what you have to pay for damage, I'm sure he would make it up as he went along and it wouldn't be in your favour.

Bear in mind it is a backpackers so don't go paying the resort prices Warren likes to ask. That was my biggest problem with the whole place, he will rip you off as soon as look at you and it gets a bit tiring when you're supposed to be on holiday. No hot water (and don't believe any rubbish he gives you) and $20AU per day for internet.

Nice island though, Macdonalds and Bethams are only a short walk and a quarter the price (probably not for a single), you can still hire gear from Safari and only pay for the windy days.

I personally wouldn't go back but a guy that turned up on the jetty and paid $20Fiji per night was ok with it. I caught the plane out at the same time as a windsurfer from NZ and he wouldn't go back either, too much of a rip off and just no communication from Warren.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Maui Aloha Clinics or Surfari Lodge Fiji - Advice" started by Searcher