Forums > Windsurfing General

NSW South coast spots

Created by Fast Eddy > 9 months ago, 7 Dec 2007
Fast Eddy
NSW, 174 posts
7 Dec 2007 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Planning a trip from sydney down to Melbourne for the Holidays, any south coast recomendations?
Sailed at Durras last year had alot of fun on a little reef, there must be other lesser known spots down past Gerroa... Any thoughts

easty
TAS, 2213 posts
7 Dec 2007 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Mallacoota - just hang a left at Genoa - got the lot.

Fast Eddy
NSW, 174 posts
7 Dec 2007 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

yeah I've heard of that one, but had forgotten, nice long rides I hear

whyner
NSW, 762 posts
8 Dec 2007 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

I could tell but you may be a kiter dressed in windsurfing clothing. As the saying goes seek and ye she'll find. Good luck it is pretty cool coast to explore.

Fast Eddy
NSW, 174 posts
8 Dec 2007 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

gimme back my mattress whyner!

whyner
NSW, 762 posts
8 Dec 2007 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

That must have been over 10 years ago and I chucked it in my car by mistake. It's gone to mattress heaven now. Havn't seen it for about 9 years

Fast Eddy
NSW, 174 posts
8 Dec 2007 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

that answers the question of me being a kiter or not though, some spots please...

Ian K
WA, 4039 posts
9 Dec 2007 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Broulee 30 minutes further south than Durras. Turn left at Mogo. Closest salt water to Canberra. Noreasters not as reliable as at Gerroa, but it's good for a change.

Launch at the bay north of the "island" (the isthmus built up in recent years) It's exposed to the noreaster so nice and bumpy. A few of the locals (who seem to have gone kiting recently) used to disappear around the back to the SSE side of the island to go wavesailing They talked it up as pretty good. Not a wavesailor myself but I sailed around the island for a look today and there were some pretty big sets breaking over some rock platforms around there. The surfers refer to the breaks as Pink Rocks and Hilaries, not sure which is which, they hike around the island and launch off the rocks.

But beware it's a couple of km downwind from the beach launch to get there, and in a fading noreaster swinging to the north, it can be a bit of a deep sea adventure getting back.

Fast Eddy
NSW, 174 posts
10 Dec 2007 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds interesting thanks for the tip ian

Ian K
WA, 4039 posts
10 Dec 2007 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

I added the google map to the photo section, the SSE corner where I wasn't game to go. You can't see the break from any of the beaches or carparks. I found the surfers' listing,

www.wannasurf.com/spot/Australia_Pacific/Australia/NSW/Far_South/pink_rocks/ One surfer says he will drive 4 hrs from sydney if the forecast is good.

It's cross offshore in a Noreaster, not for me, but I think more experienced wave sailors should check it out. If the kite surfers are out try and find Mark or Paul, they'll tell you what to watch out for.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"NSW South coast spots" started by Fast Eddy