Forums > Windsurfing General

Nervous come back after injury

Created by wesdawindat > 9 months ago, 30 Apr 2014
wesdawindat
WA, 133 posts
30 Apr 2014 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Havent sailed all season 13/14...........really missing it and was wondering as i am really nervous at getting close to being able too have another crack after breaking my fibular and chipping my tib and dislocating my left foot, what everyone else's experiences have been getting back on the board again. Ive always just been a free ride kinda guy but still interested in some motivation from anyone who has done something similar..... Have a plate and 5 screws in there now but have been working real hard wiv the physio and made real progress in the last 6 weeks from throwing away my last crutch to now running.

Hungry and Nervous

Mark _australia
WA, 18977 posts
30 Apr 2014 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah it is hard - I was ****ting myself coming back after good injury couple of times
If you can run, go for it you'll be fine

ka43
NSW, 2812 posts
30 Apr 2014 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Did my ACL just after Xmas couple years back and I was really pissed off cause I was a dickhead. Luckily I had a mate who is a ortho surgeon and I missed out on the op. Spent a few weeks icing etc and then got into rehab riding a bike and gently supping. back on water quite a few weeks after and took it VERY VERY slowly and tentative. Have to be very careful of doing **** that compromises any sort of injury or antagonising whats happened.
You are always aware of what has happened especially if you are older as it takes a hell of a lot longer to heal.
Im still very aware of limitations, go slow!!!

shi thouse
WA, 751 posts
30 Apr 2014 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^ thought I was the only dickhead. Did the same thing, tore my ACL in Jan 2011 windsurfing (my fault as I was thinking about having a beer at the time and not concentrating). I went through with the op and the physio and didn't hit the water till October 2011 (on a surf board). Was as nervous as hell and surfed like a muppet as the mental was worse than the physical.

I didn't windsurf till December of that year and was extremely tentative. My interest for the sport fell in a huge way during 2012 and I barely went out as I couldn't get my head around it so I focused on other sports. I didn't expect recovery to be as prolonged with regards to flexibility and stability but by 2013 I was feeling confident again and now I sail whenever I can get out and am loving it all over.

In a nut shell...gradually push your limits and try not to let the head games take over (easier said than done!)

mineral1
WA, 4454 posts
30 Apr 2014 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wesdawindat said..
Havent sailed all season 13/14...........really missing it and was wondering as i am really nervous at getting close to being able too have another crack after breaking my fibular and chipping my tib and dislocating my left foot, what everyone else's experiences have been getting back on the board again. Ive always just been a free ride kinda guy but still interested in some motivation from anyone who has done something similar..... Have a plate and 5 screws in there now but have been working real hard wiv the physio and made real progress in the last 6 weeks from throwing away my last crutch to now running.

Hungry and Nervous

Did same, maybe not as bad, but spiral shattered Fib just above ankle, back 2010. plates and screws still in there. Am lot older than you, and 12 months off water. Well maybe I cheated a bit, it was only 10 months Lucky for me no arthritis in the damage to date. Inside left ankle puffy and wont ever be the same Doc claimed. I can still feel the screw heads with my fingers
You will be cautious, but soon as you settle into a good session, you will forget all about it.
You never forget the break however. I can still recall the shock load coming up my left leg til it hit my groin, I then threw up from the pain. Took me about an hour to get back in dragging behind my board. Went numb at ankle from cold I think, an it was then direct to hospital, rebuild two hours later.
But you?ll be jake. Best of luck

Windxtasy
WA, 3870 posts
30 Apr 2014 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mineral1 said..

wesdawindat said..

Hungry and Nervous

Did same, maybe not as bad, but spiral shattered Fib just above ankle, back 2010. plates and screws still in there. Am lot older than you, and 12 months off water. Well maybe I cheated a bit, it was only 10 months Lucky for me no arthritis in the damage to date. Inside left ankle puffy and wont ever be the same Doc claimed. I can still feel the screw heads with my fingers
You will be cautious, but soon as you settle into a good session, you will forget all about it.
You never forget the break however. I can still recall the shock load coming up my left leg til it hit my groin, I then threw up from the pain. Took me about an hour to get back in dragging behind my board. Went numb at ankle from cold I think, an it was then direct to hospital, rebuild two hours later.
But you?ll be jake. Best of luck

I would venture to say it took you until this year and a nice session in super flat water at Coodanup to get your mojo back, Mineral.
gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2014-02-01&team=12
So I would recommend waiting for a lovely sunny day, some nice consistent wind and flat water. Inviting and good for the confidence. Not too many challenges.

wesdawindat
WA, 133 posts
30 Apr 2014 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Ahhh yeh cool, Thanx guys Your right it is a mental thing as much as the physical capabilities, I am old Windxtasy( ima Poppy lol ) but still reasonably fit so i will chose the right conditions. Love the flat water, reefy clear blue water West Oz stuff so will brush the cobwebs off the gear with a good consistent breeze.
I can be a bit of a boof when sailing though which worries me, in as i tend too relax so much and don't care if i blow a gybe as its usually nice an hot and i love getting wet in the summer months, so maybe it might force me too really concentrate on technique instead of being lazy and get those plaining gybes nailed.
Ive been makin stories up to a few people on actually how i broke my ankle like Absailing in the Andes, or Skydiving but i just smile, but the reality is i fell down some stairs LOL Up in the Kimberlies, so a 2 hr drive too Kunnanara for op to put foot back into position then fly from there to Broome then Broome to Perth then got Operated on there, bit of a treck with a broken ankle. But thanks for your story and quiet common i suppose for strapped in board sports are involved even more with ours as we don't wear boots like Wake boarders or Snowboarders but then they do knees anyway.

Any way a bit more work on my ankles stability and ill give it a crack, I can't wait I know its gunna feel Sooooo Goood

RumChaser
TAS, 600 posts
1 May 2014 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

At least you didn't do it while you were riding. That would really ramp up the nerves. Take your time and pick a nice easy day to start with. Plenty of blokes ride with old injuries you just have to respect your limits. I found out mine with a torn Achilles after the third game of squash on the night. Thought I was bullet proof until then.

ka222
VIC, 633 posts
1 May 2014 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wesdawindat said..

Hungry and Nervous

Nice!! I did all the above exact same injuries, even was on the left side too? weird..
Well I did it over rotating a forward, took me a while to get compfy doing forwards again on that tack

All up, 3 months on crutches, then probably gave it a month after that until I sailed again
I never did any rehab or physio so that probably would have helped

good luck with it

wesdawindat
WA, 133 posts
2 May 2014 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers, Thats not a bad recovery time, and no physio? How is it going now? Any restrictions or Arthritis?

ka222
VIC, 633 posts
5 May 2014 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wesdawindat said..

Cheers, Thats not a bad recovery time, and no physio? How is it going now? Any restrictions or Arthritis?

Nah is all pretty good, doesn't really give me any grief now

barbarian
NSW, 203 posts
5 May 2014 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ka222 said..

wesdawindat said..

Nah is all pretty good, doesn't really give me any grief now

Yep, being 21 will aid that!! Half your luck. Glad to hear it's all better now.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Nervous come back after injury" started by wesdawindat