Forums > Windsurfing General

Planning windsurf trip around Oz - few questions

Created by mordka > 9 months ago, 1 Jan 2017
mordka
4 posts
1 Jan 2017 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Happy new year everyone.
I'm in late 20's and planning to drive around Australia with a windsurf gear on the roof rack. My plan is to see as much possible and to sail any nice spots on my way. I'm now in the process of choosing and buying a car, as well as secondhand windsurf stuff. Thus I have few questions to you, my Aussie friends sharing the same passion.
1. Windiness - I know that WA is made for Windsurfing and it's perfect windy most of the time, but how about the other parts of Australia? South and Northern Australia? I was travelling in the east and it looks promising, Victoria seems great as well.
2. Water rules of law - can I sail in the bays where the ferries run? How about national parks?
3. Beach entrance - Can I drive on the beach if there are no signs 'permit holders only'? Can I leave the car in the bush by the road without being fined?
4. Dangers - how safe are the open ocean beaches, shall I watch for sharks or currents? Any jellies or crocodiles up north?
5. Windsurf Spots - where do you check the spots info, like underwater rocks or best tide conditions? I prefer flat water spots over the wave so I will be looking for the lakes and bays.

Thanks for your time!

Magic Ride
719 posts
1 Jan 2017 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

You got some great questions, but I'm in the USA so I can't help ya there, but in a few you will have em all answered I'm sure by these Ausie sailors.

Von
SA, 93 posts
1 Jan 2017 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Just a quick note on question #4 if it moves (animal, plant, water, rock) it can and will try to kill you! Sharks, yes everywhere big ones with stripes up north bigger ones with white bellies down south, crocodiles yes up north, jelly fish yes the ones up north will kill you before you make it to shore. Don't even ask about snakes and spiders!!!

kato
VIC, 2496 posts
1 Jan 2017 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

I'll send some info to you latter after a sail

RAL INN
VIC, 2741 posts
1 Jan 2017 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

If you get to a beach with water and wait long enough then you can windsurf it.
Maybe say where you are starting from and what direction you are going.
But summer down south winter up north

TGale
TAS, 287 posts
1 Jan 2017 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

If you travel south to Tasmania:
1. The wind is good, there is usually someone sailing somewhere in Tasmania each day. Summer is better for getting wind each day in a particular area.
2. No need to worry about water rules, you can sail anywhere, anytime.
3. You can drive on the beach and leave the car in the bush by the road.
4. There are only bigger sharks in some more exposed waters in Tasmania (especially around seal colonies) but they are not a worry in the windsurfing spots. Currents are generally not a problem, though in places like the Tamar river there are quite large tidal flows. No jellies or crocodiles to worry about.
5. Windsurf Spots - See www.thespotguide.com.au/TAS/index.html

mordka
4 posts
1 Jan 2017 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, I will be starting in February from Sydney and heading south west to Perth, then north.
Amazing Tasmanian spot guide, I will do the same for Australia! ;)

jimbob SA
SA, 917 posts
1 Jan 2017 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

You will only get a month or 6 weeks in before the autumn doldrums , not the best timing.

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
1 Jan 2017 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Feb the sea breezes are starting to reduce. Come April there won't be a lot of wind in Sydney. Bring a SUP or surfboard as this is the best time of the year. I don't think there is much wind anywhere in Aus in April, but stand to be corrected. Couple of months later head north and sail the trades in North Queensland. Come Spring head South to Vic and Tassie to catch some of the big Westerly's and South Westerly's. After your fill then go West and sail in WA from Oct/Nov on. You are going the wrong way!

Zachery
584 posts
1 Jan 2017 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Anything a while after Feb will be unpredictable and sailing will be lucky fronts or winter storms as end of summer!! Tas, Vic,Sa and Wa at end of Feb and march could still give good breezes depending on season, good luck safe travels!!

Zachery
584 posts
1 Jan 2017 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

^ PS agree landing in oz that time I would go the anticlockwise around Oz

mordka
4 posts
1 Jan 2017 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zachery said..
^ PS agree landing in oz that time I would go the anticlockwise around Oz

Good point, all the people go anticlockwise but at this time of season I want to avoid spending summer up north and do it like quoted:

Select to expand quote
RAL INN said..
But summer down south winter up north

I have only 3 months on tourist visa for the trip - so I would be coming back north in april, to arrive sydney mid-may. I will get a bigger sail for low wind conditions and maybe some luck will find me.

clarence
TAS, 868 posts
1 Jan 2017 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

As some people have said previously, some places are very seasonal- what may be great in summer could be total crap in winter.

At nearly all places in Australia, if there is a beach with water and wind, you will be right to sail.

As a general rule, north of Maryborough and Carnarvon (tropical areas), there are salt water crocodiles and box jellyfish, but it depends where you are. Box jellyfish are worst in the summer, but a full length lycra or wetsuit will minimise the risk of stings. There are still lots of places okay to swim/windsurf anyway, even in the tropical areas.

Apart from major population centres and tourist spots (eg Sydney Harbour) you won't have to worry about ferries etc.

As far as National Parks go, for some you will need to buy permits, but you can get them on a daily basis if needed when you go to the national park.

I think there are probably lots of great places to sail that are a bit off the radar- partly because they are not close to major population centres.

If you look on www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/wind/selection_map.shtml you can get a wind record for sites all around Australia.

According to these, Sydney should still be okay for sea breezes in Feb- March.

If you are travelling around it may just be a case of take it when it comes- along a lot of SE Australia in autumn and winter there is a fair chance of a 15-20 knot S or SE wind that comes through with a front for a day or two. Lots of good beaches, lakes, bays between Sydney and Adelaide for sailing.

The coast of north Queensland in winter should have a pretty good chance of 15-20 knot SE winds too.

Clarence

kato
VIC, 2496 posts
1 Jan 2017 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

Feb is good for Victoria, not so good for WA. March onwards good for Queensland. My advice is come earlier and hit WA in dec then head east to the other states.

pommypair
31 posts
2 Jan 2017 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Hi check my website
lvndsail.webnode.com/

We have done it twice. Note in Feb go north first or better still start in Melbourne or Perth and go East. The best windsurfing is WA starting at Exmouth in mid September and finishing about March. Timing for weather, wind and sightseeing is everything it takes a year.....
Have fun!

king of the point
WA, 1814 posts
2 Jan 2017 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Go Clockwise up da west coast brother in summer you ll save on da fuel and pump up the jams to 45 to 50psi you keep on rolling and slow right down if ya see an eagle eating da road kill you hit one of them your jinksed for fk sake use a fken cargo net da bed bending in half and tarp flogging aint a good look oh rego plates wa plates youll fly under radar unless your a speed freek you may even get a waive aviod vico plates someting about them

decrepit
WA, 9225 posts
2 Jan 2017 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Feb, to march, if there's a big high in the Bight, then Albany can be fantastic.
If you drive over the Nullabor check the forecast for Albany, if the high is in the bight and Perth is experiencing a heat wave, ( 40+C ). Then detour left at Noresman and head for Albany.

Piv
WA, 368 posts
4 Jan 2017 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Good flat water sailing at Albany, at mandurah, safety bay, Melville, Lancelin,green head, Cervantes, point Moore Geraldton, coronation beach, shark bay and Exmouth. Good waves at or near most of those places too. Further north is no go due stingers and seasons and crocs. Unless you are crazy.

Mark _australia
WA, 19257 posts
4 Jan 2017 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jimbob SA said..
You will only get a month or 6 weeks in before the autumn doldrums , not the best timing.

agreed
Though, our season is getting later here, so get to WA as fast as possible and you will get a month sailing. Then travel around up north sightseeing

holgs
WA, 268 posts
5 Jan 2017 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

It's a big country. 3 months is not much time.

There are visitor visas that allow you to stay for up to one year. Visas can also be extended. Sometimes you have to leave the country to extend. You could go to Bali for a few days. Flights are cheap from Perth. From the east coast you could go to New Zealand.
If you're in your 20's you should be eligible for a working holiday visa which allows you to stay for 1 year and work for 3 months with the same employer.

While you can park next to the road, in a lot of places it is illegal to camp even if it's just inside your car. I think the law protects the local caravan parks and stops people from pooing in the bushes.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6578 posts
5 Jan 2017 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Von said..
Just a quick note on question #4 if it moves (animal, plant, water, rock) it can and will try to kill you! Sharks, yes everywhere big ones with stripes up north bigger ones with white bellies down south, crocodiles yes up north, jelly fish yes the ones up north will kill you before you make it to shore. Don't even ask about snakes and spiders!!!

After living with roos for 20 years I finally got attacked today.. Luckily only a half grown female so I managed to hold her off so she couldn't get me with her kicking back legs but got claw marks and a 10mm deep claw hole between my fingers.. 4 stitches and a tetanus shot.. No sailing for a little while so if it blows you can thank me ( pref with choccies.. )

mordka
4 posts
18 Jan 2017 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Amazing response guys, lots of info has been noted
I already got a blue Subaru Outback 2002 and 2 freeride boards and 3 sails 4.0, 5.0, 5.8. Which I thought might be too small but today I had a chance to test 5.0 and 5.8 on Illawara Lake and it was great - best regards to friendly locals ;) First time seen so many jellyfish!!
Still looking for a harness though - I have no choice but to sail without.

I'm flying to NZ next week to extend the tourist visa and in the beginning of Feb I'm driving from Sydney to Perth to catch the best gusts in the world!!

decrepit
WA, 9225 posts
18 Jan 2017 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Just keep your eyes on the Albany forecast when you're within range, you'll kick yourself if you miss a good session there.

stehsegler
WA, 2974 posts
18 Jan 2017 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
Just keep your eyes on the Albany forecast when you're within range, you'll kick yourself if you miss a good session there.

What's the wind direction you should be looking for? Easterly? Any good wave spots in the area?

clarence
TAS, 868 posts
18 Jan 2017 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Wollongong has been blowing well last few days.

If you head south try "One Knots Wind Shop" in Gerroa for a harness.

Jervis Bay also has some beautiful places to sail that work in a range of wind conditions.

Clarence

decrepit
WA, 9225 posts
18 Jan 2017 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

decrepit said..

What's the wind direction you should be looking for? Easterly? Any good wave spots in the area?

Big high in the Bight, and yes easterlies. Parries is OK, big bay, you just drive around it until you get to your preferred wind direction, with decent banks,

mattn
NSW, 78 posts
19 Jan 2017 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

If you want to do inland NSW you can make your way up through Albury, Wagga, Tumut (Blowering Dam), Lake Jindabyne, Canberra, then head down to the south coast. I'm in Wagga. Our most probably winds happen late October through to January. Having said that I've had some great sessions in July and August.

GazMan
WA, 704 posts
19 Jan 2017 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

decrepit said..

Normally reliable easterly weather pattern around Albany has been pretty much non-existent so far this summer, with the prevailing wind direction being mostly SSW-SW so be prepared to drive 4-5 hours to swap from south coast to west coast looking for good wind!!!! As decrepit said, big high in the bight means strong easterlies on south coast and high temps on west coast. Albany won't get the same strong S-SW sea breezes like the west coast does, but the south coast will still get sailable winds though not as strong or consistent.

GazMan
WA, 704 posts
19 Jan 2017 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..
Feb is good for Victoria, not so good for WA. March onwards good for Queensland. My advice is come earlier and hit WA in dec then head east to the other states.

Actually Feb and March can be windy in WA but it is the hottest time of the year on the west coast with weaker or later sebreezes, though that is the best time to head for the south coast where it is generally cooler and windier!!

bushfire
NSW, 271 posts
20 Jan 2017 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Paul (Mordka), nice to meet you at Lake Illawarra and have a sail with you. Good luck for your travels and happy windsurfing!

kato
VIC, 2496 posts
20 Jan 2017 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Currently in Albany with no wind but great area with lots of other activities to do. Love the place

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Planning windsurf trip around Oz - few questions" started by mordka