Forums > Windsurfing General

Resort Advice

Created by PKenny > 9 months ago, 15 Jan 2014
PKenny
SA, 236 posts
15 Jan 2014 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

G'day people,
Some advice on a "nice" resort in the pacific that I can go surfing and get some windsurfing in.
Around May will be my time of travel and somebody else is calling it a "honeymoon" so it will have to have a few stars attached to the name.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers PK

Wineman
NSW, 1412 posts
15 Jan 2014 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Mururoa Atoll (French resort)

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
15 Jan 2014 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Forget it, your sailing days are over!!!

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
15 Jan 2014 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Don't do it so you will be well cashed up and be able to afford the Canaries ........ best wind that time of the year!
Remember getting married is the most expensive way to get your laundry done!
I am an expert been twice stupid

Gonebush
NSW, 160 posts
16 Jan 2014 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Stayed at a Fijian resort called Matanivusi in April 2012. It's a boutique resort set on a lagoon on the South Coast (Coral Coast) of Viti Levu. Quite pricey but it completely caters for surfers and non surfing partners. There's a couple of decent breaks in the immediate vicinity and they also go to Frigates Passage, which is about 20 minutes away. Unfortunately it never got over about 3-4 foot when I was there, 2 foot most of the time, although it was plenty windy at times and I think the lagoon area (and breaks) could have been windsurfed on a high tide (I didn't take any windsurfing gear).

I've previously stayed at Musket Cove Resort in Fiji previously. It's along side Plantation Island resort. Both are family resorts (MC is probably slightly more up market) that have a boat that access Cloud Break, Restaurants, Wilkies Passage, etc. Awesome article here from somebody with bigger testicles than me:

www.windsurf.co.uk/featured/the-punters-guide-to-sailing-15-foot-cloudbreak/

Also stayed at the Out Rigger on Viti Levu but it was rubbish and I don't recommend it unless you like holidaying in a kiddy creche (I don't and I have kids).

PKenny
SA, 236 posts
28 Jan 2014 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the replies. Good to see theres a few funny buggers around the place. I think I might have wife to be convinced a couple of weeks in Hawaii would be good for relationship.

Warren Francis
NSW, 206 posts
29 Jan 2014 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Howdy

Let me know if you would like some information on Windsurfing in Fiji. We have loads of Gear and great Windsurfing conditions. Been here since 1991, loved it so much built a windsurfing and Kiting and Diving Resort!

thanks
Warren

tobyhodgso
WA, 300 posts
29 Jan 2014 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Pacific..

why not ...

Full moon resort, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Jibes beach club with full starboard range 2 doors away
just get the season right- ( i loved Vietnam but missed the wind by 2 weeks)

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
29 Jan 2014 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

"It was just me and the Capitan, which sounds like something from Gilligan's island, but with fewer coconuts. If coconuts are a metaphor, then mine were feeling quite small, and it wasn't even cold. "

Top story!

Mistral Nick
QLD, 365 posts
29 Jan 2014 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Was talking to a guy yesterday who had just come back from Boracay in the Philippines, said the sailing was great though more kites, food was cheap, and accommodation variable depending on how much you wanted to pay. Then amazingly spoke to another guy who went on his honeymoon 20 years ago and said it was a great adventure, but then a little out of the way.
I was considering it myself as an affordable sailing holiday.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
29 Jan 2014 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

new cal, the missus will love shopping french fashion and you'll have more wind than you can use (since december we've only had 5 days under 18 knts)

Ellobuddha
NSW, 624 posts
30 Jan 2014 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mistral Nick said..
Was talking to a guy yesterday who had just come back from Boracay in the Philippines, said the sailing was great though more kites, food was cheap, and accommodation variable depending on how much you wanted to pay. Then amazingly spoke to another guy who went on his honeymoon 20 years ago and said it was a great adventure, but then a little out of the way.

Nick,

Went there last year. 3 of us kiters and one sailor. Sh1itloads of kiters. A lot of them deadly with no sense of right of way - coulda drowned a few. The kiting was just choppy crap out the back with literally 100 kiters all showing off in close to shore. Plenty of kites into the coconut palms which was amusing. Was led to believe there were waves on the outer reef good for kiting but wasnt the case.

Ended up sailing the last two days as it was more fun. Its not flat water though. Can get pretty choppy but overall not too bad. Food and people are great. Sailboards were hired from a place near the end of lagoon, next to Slingshot kite hire. Very casual place with decent gear at good rates.

We stayed at Cohiba Resort (above lagoon) Big white place. Was cheap for a group and short walk down the hill to lagoon. Big balcony overlooking lagoon. Was great to sit back and watch. Big pool and good food if dont want to get out. Great guy working there (Rodalph) hooked us up a great "rest day" - hired a small boat, bought a whole tuna, couple kilos of giant green prawns, 20 kg sack of ice and crate of San Miguel. Few beers on way to reef for a snorkel then over to a small island where the locals cooked us up the tuna into marinated cutlets, bbq prawns, rice and fish head soup. Sat under a bamboo shelter, ate and drank beers, then swam in the water 10 feet away. Great day. Cost us about $20 each for the entire day. Got dropped at wharf of Cohiba. Was sensational.

Would recommend staying lagoon side of the island in any case. Its a lot more laid back. Other side is resort hell. Full of old very tanned men wearing very small, very high speedos and not much else. Lots of wankers and show ponies. Far more relaxed on lagoon side.

Wind starts really early and you can be all sailed out drinking super cheap beers watching the kiting chaos by 11. Any further info needed let us know. Would go back again to sail but not to kite.

Cheers,
EB

barbarian
NSW, 215 posts
30 Jan 2014 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

evlPanda said..

"It was just me and the Capitan, which sounds like something from Gilligan's island, but with fewer coconuts. If coconuts are a metaphor, then mine were feeling quite small, and it wasn't even cold. "

Top story!

Hey Panda! Totally chuffed that you read the story and liked it. PM my brother Tommy, his username is wintortree if you're interested in going to Fiji. He is thinking about another trip later in the year just for windsurfing.

jp747
1548 posts
31 Jan 2014 5:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ellobuddha said..
Mistral Nick said..

Nick,

Went there last year. 3 of us kiters and one sailor. Sh1itloads of kiters. A lot of them deadly with no sense of right of way - coulda drowned a few. The kiting was just choppy crap out the back with literally 100 kiters all showing off in close to shore. Plenty of kites into the coconut palms which was amusing. Was led to believe there were waves on the outer reef good for kiting but wasnt the case.

Ended up sailing the last two days as it was more fun. Its not flat water though. Can get pretty choppy but overall not too bad. Food and people are great. Sailboards were hired from a place near the end of lagoon, next to Slingshot kite hire. Very casual place with decent gear at good rates.

We stayed at Cohiba Resort (above lagoon) Big white place. Was cheap for a group and short walk down the hill to lagoon. Big balcony overlooking lagoon. Was great to sit back and watch. Big pool and good food if dont want to get out. Great guy working there (Rodalph) hooked us up a great "rest day" - hired a small boat, bought a whole tuna, couple kilos of giant green prawns, 20 kg sack of ice and crate of San Miguel. Few beers on way to reef for a snorkel then over to a small island where the locals cooked us up the tuna into marinated cutlets, bbq prawns, rice and fish head soup. Sat under a bamboo shelter, ate and drank beers, then swam in the water 10 feet away. Great day. Cost us about $20 each for the entire day. Got dropped at wharf of Cohiba. Was sensational.

Would recommend staying lagoon side of the island in any case. Its a lot more laid back. Other side is resort hell. Full of old very tanned men wearing very small, very high speedos and not much else. Lots of wankers and show ponies. Far more relaxed on lagoon side.

Wind starts really early and you can be all sailed out drinking super cheap beers watching the kiting chaos by 11. Any further info needed let us know. Would go back again to sail but not to kite.

Cheers,EB

not surprised at all! a lot of kiters but mostly on average low to medium winds..try getting a forecast when its 18plus kts and sailing becomes less crowded especially close to the reef.. as for lodging there's loads of resorts maybe an hour of sailing on the first day then hunting for cheap villas next.. good luck

Gonebush
NSW, 160 posts
31 Jan 2014 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

I think the real question, Barbarian, is whether you are "gunna" go if it gets to 15 foot after giving your brother a hard time!

On the topic of Fiji I found this clip of Frigates Passage, so there's proof it's windsurfable too.

hawaiianx.com/component/option,com_seyret/task,videodirectlink/Itemid,128/id,163/

barbarian said..

evlPanda said..

Top story!

Hey Panda! Totally chuffed that you read the story and liked it. PM my brother Tommy, his username is wintortree if you're interested in going to Fiji. He is thinking about another trip later in the year just for windsurfing.

barbarian
NSW, 215 posts
31 Jan 2014 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Total gunna. Guilty as charged

tomp
NSW, 687 posts
31 Jan 2014 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

don't have kids if you want to keep windsurfing...or teach your missus to windsurf

wintortree
NSW, 194 posts
1 Feb 2014 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
barbarian said...
Total gunna. Guilty as charged

I'll believe it when I see it.

Gwendy
SA, 472 posts
2 Feb 2014 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Oii PK, If you really want to spoil her then pull out all the stops and treat her to a week or two at the delightful "Club Magnet" on the Whyalla Riviera. Things could get pretty dirty.

I'll let you know if I find anything nice in China

Gwendy
SA, 472 posts
4 Feb 2014 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

I hear Caoferdion is nice this time of year. That's where I'm heading

PKenny
SA, 236 posts
4 Feb 2014 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gwendy said..

Oii PK, If you really want to spoil her then pull out all the stops and treat her to a week or two at the delightful "Club Magnet" on the Whyalla Riviera. Things could get pretty dirty.

I'll let you know if I find anything nice in China

HaHa, might be able to squeeze in a Spencer Gulf Barge Cruise whilst staying out at East Iron Knob

Gwendy
SA, 472 posts
4 Feb 2014 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Sic. If its your honeymoon iron knob might be the operative word. You should check out Mauii, you'll be blasting around in no time with lessons over there and bride won't get bored if she can drive on the other side of the road. Maybe she might want to learn sailboarding too. Otherwise I can teach you some of my bad habits when I get home.

OESaustralia
SA, 278 posts
5 Feb 2014 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

You wont go wrong with Maui PK, honeymooners capital of the North Pacific. I can hook you up with Russ at Hi tech for lessons and equipment hire .
Lessons will come in handy for when the honeymoon period is over !

kovi
VIC, 122 posts
21 Feb 2014 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

in boracay now atm

place is amazing

kite beach packed and messy as advised above however ive rented a house on same side beach (where wind is) and have entire lagoon to myself

its mad

have a go pro ive borrowed so if i can work it out will take a video of it

if interested let me know and ill give you more info

kovi
VIC, 122 posts
21 Feb 2014 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

im kitesuring btw (just realised was in windsuring section) but same same i guess

FletcHuz
VIC, 300 posts
23 Feb 2014 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PKenny said...
[br]G'day people,
Some advice on a "nice" resort in the pacific that I can go surfing and get some windsurfing in.
Around May will be my time of travel and somebody else is calling it a "honeymoon" so it will have to have a few stars attached to the name.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers PK

Ok, it's not the Pacific but Mauritius will tick the boxes! Flash resorts on the beach, awesome surf, great wind for every windsurf discipline!

PKenny
SA, 236 posts
24 Jul 2014 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Well we are taking the long way to Maui but we will be there in a couple of weeks.

Currently in the Greek Islands and all was is not lost on the windsurfing front. Stayed on Mykonos for a few days and had a sail over at Kalafati Beach. There is a hire joint there with heaps of gear. Fanatic boards of all sizes and shapes with a huge range of North and Gaastra sails to suit.

Its a great little beach with cross/off winds but like the web says very gusty. i found my skills not quite up to scratch in dealing with the 12-30kt winds at times. But had a good belt around just the same. Guys with more skills and knowledge were having a great time. And at the end of the beach is some great taverna's for wifey to latte, charddy or sun bake while you have a sail. Everybody wins here.

When driving to Kalafati beach there was another beach with sailors out. Full onshore with waves, not big waves but waves. We couldn't find the road down to that beach but there were 8-10 sails out and about in 25kt plus winds.

We passed through Naxos on the ferry to Santorini. There were about 30 sails out and about. 20-25KT, offshore and flat were the conditions yesterday. Looked like some fairly quick sailors about. Checking the Naxos website last night it looks like a fairly popular windsurfing spot but normally onshore looking at the photos.

So fellas all is not lost if the wife would like a holiday in the Greek Isles and I am sure there are plenty of other spots as well.

For me it's a few more days relaxing on Santorini, drinking Guinness/Jamesons in Ireland, Baseball in NewYork then a week on Maui on the way home. Somehow I dipped out there but should be good to sample the place.

Catchya PK

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Resort Advice" started by PKenny