Forums > Windsurfing General

STING RAYS in the estuary

Created by HENDO 77 > 9 months ago, 20 Oct 2016
HENDO 77
WA, 285 posts
20 Oct 2016 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, Quick question, This year I'm having a crack at windsurfing. Last year I got out a few times but later in the season
This year I have started earlier, In the Mandurah estuary . Bloody sting rays every where up to 8 today and at least 6 the other day.
Question is why
That time of year or what .
I have seen rays in the estuary before but no where near the amount I ve seen in the last week.
These things would only be 40 to 60 cm wide but still a bit freaky.
DO they bugger off or what and what would happen if you were to cop a sting.

If they don't disappear soon ill put the word out in china town ,there s under size rays around, works with the crabs

snides8
WA, 1729 posts
20 Oct 2016 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtom said..
Hey guys, Quick question, This year I'm having a crack at windsurfing. Last year I got out a few times but later in the season
This year I have started earlier, In the Mandurah estuary . Bloody sting rays every where up to 8 today and at least 6 the other day.
Question is why
I have seen rays in the estuary before but no where near the amount I ve seen in the last week.

If they don't disappear soon ill put the word out in china town ,there s under size rays around, works with the crabs

I had a session 4/5 years ago where I was sailing by myself through an area known as 'alpha land' (an area down wind of hardies) when on one run I sailed through a field of stingray tails! Must of been dozens of them - all sticking their tails straight out of the water like antennas ....Weirdest thing I have ever seen..my guess was the water was that shallow and chocked with weed that they were trying to keep their tails clean......

decrepit
WA, 11828 posts
20 Oct 2016 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't see one today Tom, you must be attracting them.

I've heard of plenty of cobbler stings, but none for rays, It is a bit scary thinking of falling on one, but they do seem to get out of the way very smartly. And there some big ones out there.

HENDO 77
WA, 285 posts
20 Oct 2016 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

They do seem to get out of the way when sailing but as I'm not quite holding my line ,I tend to walk in the shallow as a bit and when I see a patch of darker sand the same size as the rays it gets me second guessing.
These guys don't hang around year round do they,I haven't seen em this thick before.
Ive been at navara

elmo
WA, 8659 posts
20 Oct 2016 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

They come in closer to shore after the juvenile crabs which are already taking chunks out of red fur

ratz
WA, 469 posts
20 Oct 2016 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

the wokkers should take care of the crabs for you soon elmo..

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
20 Oct 2016 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Wouldn't worry, heaps in the shallows at Dutchies a few years ago and everyone stepped on one or two, no stings

She's apples.

Ezric
NSW, 183 posts
21 Oct 2016 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

I know two guys that got stung in SE Qld last year and both were in agony until they got to doctors and had a numbing injection. One had to spend the night in hospital as the stinger had hit a bone in his toe. His sting was from a very small baby stingray.

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
21 Oct 2016 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

I've had a massive one jump out of the water right in front of me while on a screaming broad reach in the Gold Coast broadwater. And not the local kind, something big and black and heavy.

There are thousands in the GC Broadwater and they are generally very timid. You'd be very unlucky to step on one. I guess they are of a similar nature everywhere.

However, I have noticed that if you follow one around for a minute or so they become tired of that game and start to stand their ground, and even come back at you. I guess if you're a dick and annoy and/or scare them enough they are going to protect themselves.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7916 posts
21 Oct 2016 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snides8 said..

bigtom said..
Question is why

I had a session 4/5 years ago where I was sailing by myself through an area known as 'alpha land' (an area down wind of hardies) when on one run I sailed through a field of stingray tails! Must of been dozens of them - all sticking their tails straight out of the water like antennas ....Weirdest thing I have ever seen..my guess was the water was that shallow and chocked with weed that they were trying to keep their tails clean......

Cripes i would have fallen in on them..

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7916 posts
21 Oct 2016 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
elmo said..
They come in closer to shore after the juvenile crabs which are already taking chunks out of red fur

Maybe I don't want to sail in WA..

kato
VIC, 3339 posts
21 Oct 2016 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Tails up usually means stay away I'm not happy with where you are.
Stingrays at the pit too, a few have been done over the years. Very painful. Best treatment is the hottest water you can handle. Take care in not burning the patient by staying in hot water for too long.

musorianin
QLD, 572 posts
21 Oct 2016 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
...I guess if you're a dick and annoy and/or scare them enough they are going to protect themselves.

Crikey!

Imax1
QLD, 4527 posts
21 Oct 2016 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

The problem i had stepping onto a small stingray was not getting stabbed by its prick , but rather it slicing under the arch of my foot as it tried to swim away. Soft flesh there , lots of blood , ruined my day. I should have gotten stitches but instead toughed it out. Dumb idea , took ages to heal.

red
VIC, 737 posts
21 Oct 2016 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said...
Tails up usually means stay away I'm not happy with where you are.
Stingrays at the pit too, a few have been done over the years. Very painful. Best treatment is the hottest water you can handle. Take care in not burning the patient by staying in hot water for too long.

Put the affected area in hot water for releief and also the unaffected limb as well for control of temperature. I got stung and the hot water gave great relief but make sure you dont get a scald injury from continuously adding hot water. The unaffected limb will tell you when its too hot..

stroppo
WA, 727 posts
21 Oct 2016 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

There in the estuary all year round I've seen a school of 100 or more on my boat a few years ago and hit a few in the shallows the good thing is bull sharks love to eat them the bad thing is the bull sharks like to eat us to !

Tequila !
WA, 799 posts
21 Oct 2016 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Rays make a good stew if you know how to cook

peguin
WA, 263 posts
21 Oct 2016 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

got told by shark centre in shark bay that if you do can stabbed go to the hospital rather than GP as the barbs are covered in slime which has lots of bacteria that can lead to serious infection. The hospital will open the wound up and clear this out. A GP will not tend to do this just give you the pain killers.

WazzaYotty
QLD, 302 posts
21 Oct 2016 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stroppo said..
There in the estuary all year round I've seen a school of 100 or more on my boat a few years ago and hit a few in the shallows the good thing is bull sharks love to eat them the bad thing is the bull sharks like to eat us to !

Well. they've gotta catch you first Strop. You'd be much too pacey for them.... sort of fast food.
Me? Well, that's a very different matter.... more like a leisurely take-away.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
21 Oct 2016 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
peguin said..
got told by shark centre in shark bay that if you do can stabbed go to the hospital rather than GP as the barbs are covered in slime which has lots of bacteria that can lead to serious infection. The hospital will open the wound up and clear this out. A GP will not tend to do this just give you the pain killers.

Yup

crayfish poisoning, coral poisoning etc. Reefs and anything spiky....................

metho and a toothbrush is the DIY but it is not nice

luckily we don't have anything like that in WA

Imax1
QLD, 4527 posts
21 Oct 2016 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

MMM , Jaws theme comes to mind

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"STING RAYS in the estuary" started by HENDO 77