Forums > Windsurfing General

Sail clew hitting the water and footstraps

Created by GrumpySmurf > 9 months ago, 11 Nov 2016
GrumpySmurf
WA, 230 posts
11 Nov 2016 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

General question as I have this problem with a few combo. Specifically, I'm using a Reflex 2 7.0 on a 2014 isonic 107 with Enigma 460 mast and enigma boom, 28in harness. I'm short at 163cm and the mast track was 1cm forward of center and tried various boom height. The extension had between 0-2cm of rope between the cleats.

Problem is I seem to be "closing-the-gap" too much and the clew hits water. I also gets the sail foot stuck on the foot straps.

What am I doing wrong?

John340
QLD, 1919 posts
11 Nov 2016 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Think of the triangle created by the mast base, the connection of the boom to the mast and the clew of the sail. If the clew of the sail is dragging in the water then your options are:
1. Move your mast base back or
2. Move your foot-straps forward or
3. Lower your boom attachment or
4. Raise the position of your harness hook
5. Lengthen you harness lines

All the above have the effect of rotating the mast more upright in the vertical plane along the centre line of the board, which then increases the height of the clew in relation to the water. Work with one parameter at a time and make small adjustments and gauge the effect when fully powered up and locked in position on a slightly broad reach. You will find different optimum combinations of the above for each sail in different conditions (i.e. underpowered, comfortable or overpowered). Take note of what works and use when the next the conditions apply.

Haggar
QLD, 1596 posts
11 Nov 2016 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said...
Think of the triangle created by the mast base, the connection of the boom to the mast and the clew of the sail. If the clew of the sail is dragging in the water then your options are:

All the above have the effect of rotating the mast more upright in the vertical plane along the centre line of the board, which then increases the height of the clew in relation to the water. Work with one parameter at a time and make small adjustments and gauge the effect when fully powered up and locked in position on a slightly broad reach. You will find different optimum combinations of the above for each sail in different conditions (i.e. underpowered, comfortable or overpowered). Take note of what works and use when the next the conditions apply.

+ 1 John very well explained

Sparky
WA, 885 posts
11 Nov 2016 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

I've had that feeling before, it gives you no room to crank more power on. I agree with above, especially mast track back a bit. i think it is also a sign of maybe not having enough fin. I happily use a fairly gutsy 40cm fin on my 2014 isonic. What are you using?

TRIMMER
QLD, 151 posts
11 Nov 2016 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Don't you mean raise the boom?

kato
VIC, 2423 posts
11 Nov 2016 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said...

+2
Lower boom is right too

wantmorewind
VIC, 115 posts
11 Nov 2016 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

,Its a Severne thing, try a bigger fin or sail size, happens when your under done.. Reflex's have a massive wind range, I also get this every now and then I find it is because I should have rigged bigger.

TRIMMER
QLD, 151 posts
11 Nov 2016 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Nah your all wrong .raising the boom lifts the clew when your hooked in and extend your lines.
If you don't ext lines yes it makes it worse.
I thought you guys know your stuff.
I sail severn

Mike105
59 posts
11 Nov 2016 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Have you got two clew eyelets? I'm about your height and used to use the lower eyelet and it felt like I was holding the clew end of the boom up when not fully powered. Changed to top eyelet and haven't looked back.

TRIMMER
QLD, 151 posts
11 Nov 2016 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Im 190cm or 6ft3 always use top clew cleat unless really over powered

Cocky2
QLD, 119 posts
11 Nov 2016 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Is the 7 R2 recommend for 430 mast? Tried the 7 R5 on 460 and was not good.
My experience has to been raise the boom. Normally have the boom midpoint on all serverne and not changed for me with R3,R4,R5,R6.
Pull downhaul down to rollers no spare rope.
I have only used serverne and had not the issue you discribe. I am 172 cm and use 28inch harness lines. Tried 26 and to short. 30 were to long. Harness hook low is better with seat harness.
Only ever use the top clew.
You need to try different settings as every person has a different technique.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 2323 posts
11 Nov 2016 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Haggar
QLD, 1596 posts
11 Nov 2016 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TRIMMER said..
Nah your all wrong .raising the boom lifts the clew when your hooked in and extend your lines.
If you don't ext lines yes it makes it worse.
I thought you guys know your stuff.
I sail severn

Actually Trimmer I agree with you, raising your boom has the same effect as moving your mast base back.

JonE
VIC, 53 posts
11 Nov 2016 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Just thinking outside the box, too much downhaul? Collapsing the top of your sail => no forward drive in the top half of the sail to pull the rig forwards....?

Imax1
VIC, 1777 posts
11 Nov 2016 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^
could be onto something

col5555
WA, 306 posts
11 Nov 2016 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Try a bigger fin

snides8
WA, 1564 posts
11 Nov 2016 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

what wind strength are using this set up in?
if your constantly dragging the foot over the straps your probably under powered..use a bigger rag
moving the mast step back as well will help as it stands the rig up.

Subsonic
WA, 1552 posts
11 Nov 2016 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

I've found this too, all of the above is completely relevant to the situation, the two things that sort the situation for me I've found are a: don't sail underpowered, and b: try and hold a more upright stance (which ends up letting the rig stand more upright as well).

petermac33
WA, 4876 posts
12 Nov 2016 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

The problem is sail makers cut the foot too low!

I loved my 6.3m KA - but the foot was simply cut too low for me.

Most of the other sail models are cut too low - for me anyway.

Use Maui race sails - welcome to try mine. The foot is cut higher by a decent amount.

Using the higher clew ring can help too. I only use the middle of the mast track.

They needed to raise the foot of modern slalom sails with most modern slalom boards now having recessed decks.

Boombuster
QLD, 499 posts
12 Nov 2016 6:47AM
Thumbs Up

I have 2016 KAs when I first got them I found they would drag or hit the water so I soon learnt too rig them with extra extension so the down-haul pullies were not together as with older style sails which I use to always have touching this immediately fixed the problem and also leveled out the bottom of the sail with the bottom of the extension. Having said I rig my sails with a gap between pullies I find this is around luff spec's but I have been experimenting with the amount of down haul for lighter or stronger winds.

sailquik
VIC, 4455 posts
13 Nov 2016 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonE said..
Just thinking outside the box, too much downhaul? Collapsing the top of your sail => no forward drive in the top half of the sail to pull the rig forwards....?

That would be my guess as the the likely culprit as well.

Also: First thing is move your mast base back!

evlPanda
NSW, 8663 posts
14 Nov 2016 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

There is probably too much water causing it to hit your sail clew. Sail at low tide instead.

jusavina
QLD, 1173 posts
14 Nov 2016 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonE said..

^^^ What I was going to say.

pweedas
WA, 4626 posts
14 Nov 2016 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
evlPanda said..
There is probably too much water causing it to hit your sail clew. Sail at low tide instead.

Yes. It's almost certainly due to dangerous climate change causing rising sea levels.

You can also see evidence of this at the start of every season by the way the board sits lower in the water.

I'm pretty sure that's it.

We'll all be rooned.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6485 posts
15 Nov 2016 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
evlPanda said..

Bad luck if where you sail isn't tidal...

evlPanda
NSW, 8663 posts
17 Nov 2016 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..

evlPanda said..

Bad luck if where you sail isn't tidal...

Sail closer to the beach where it is shallower and there is less water.

Harrow
NSW, 2562 posts
17 Nov 2016 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Or else just take a bucket and fill it up. When you are finished sailing, you can pour it back in.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Sail clew hitting the water and footstraps" started by GrumpySmurf