Forums > Windsurfing General

Sailboarding Holiday

Created by hinch > 9 months ago, 15 Feb 2009
hinch
NSW, 45 posts
15 Feb 2009 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone know of good places with good equipment for an overseas sailing holiday.
Thinking of heading off in our winter. If there was some surf would be an added bonus.

Upthere
QLD, 348 posts
15 Feb 2009 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Maui for sure

sflack
VIC, 574 posts
15 Feb 2009 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Vassiliki, Greece! See ya there!

PhilJ
53 posts
16 Feb 2009 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Vassiliki is flat as a pancake

garyk
QLD, 277 posts
16 Feb 2009 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Safari lodge all the way!!!! Fiji is an awesome holiday cant wait to get over there again, we got wind 15 to 30 for the 16 days we were there Its postcard perfect and a great experence.

There's Maui but you will need a big pocket $$$$$$$

timford
NSW, 509 posts
16 Feb 2009 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Maui, nice nice very nice!!!!!

Trousers
SA, 556 posts
16 Feb 2009 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

So not to hijack this thread, but I'm on the east coast of Turkey for three weeks in June. Anyone sailed Alacati before?

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
16 Feb 2009 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

garyk said...

Safari lodge all the way!!!! Fiji is an awesome holiday cant wait to get over there again, we got wind 15 to 30 for the 16 days we were there Its postcard perfect and a great experence.

There's Maui but you will need a big pocket $$$$$$$

I also windsurfed Safari Lodge Fiji, great location!

Out of curiosity, what time of the year did you go?

Rad Lad
226 posts
16 Feb 2009 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

A lot of west aussies take their overseas holidays at Rottnest Island. The best part is they use the same currency over there.

garyk
QLD, 277 posts
16 Feb 2009 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

ejmack I was there either june july

It's really a great holiday there's heaps of options for accomadation at the Safari lodge. We chose to stay in a large tent only metres from the water in a small private setting, very quiet and relaxing. The meals were awesome and you get to meet lots of nice people. Sailing in fiji is a really amazing experience, There is a good variety of conditions to suit everyone except the hardcore wavesailers. For slalom at low tide there is Speed reef right out front that is soooo flat and is on a perfect angle for speed runs and super gybes. High tide gives some nice ramps for bump and jump and you can sail over all the reefs in the bay. This place is also perfect for freestylers given the different condtions. The highlight for me was the 8km downwinder it was awesome Thanks Warren I had a great holiday and hope to be back there soon.

garyk
QLD, 277 posts
16 Feb 2009 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Also took my own gear 1 board two sails etc, But theres no need because they have heaps rigged and ready.

Zubby
SA, 885 posts
16 Feb 2009 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Mauritius is nice.

www.club-mistral.com/en/destinations/home/9/genInfo

shadow
WA, 81 posts
17 Feb 2009 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

I've spent time at Club Mistral Essaouria in Morocco.
They have all the latest Mistral and North Gear and friendly kids who rig up and carry the gear to and from the beach for you and rinse and hang your wetty whilst you take a break at the beach bar next door.
Liked it so much I'm going back again this June. There are good waves 20mins south at Moulay but they won't insure your rental gear there.
We just got flights to Casablanca (3hrs north) for $1650 return via Dubai.

PhilJ
53 posts
17 Feb 2009 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Moulay is north of Essaouria, Sidi is south. Did you hire a car in Casablanca or get a lift arranged?

Went to Mauritius last year, had a week of awesome wind every day above 24kts, waves were also good but the centre closed off the waves for most of the week.......if you are hiring their gear you have to abide by ther rules and depending on the swell and current directions you can be swept out to sea if you have a problem in the waves. Mauritius isn't exactly cold but it wasnt too hot and did rain a fair bit. I would be tempted to go back.

shadow
WA, 81 posts
17 Feb 2009 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

My Bad.
Last time I caught a grand taxi from Marrakech. You can also take the bus if you like (about 3 hours).
This time I will probably hire a car and explore more of the south coast toward Agadir.
Morrocco is super cheapo to live, except for club Mistral which charges in Euros, not dirhams. ouch.

Mobydisc
NSW, 8583 posts
17 Feb 2009 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

A big consideration going overseas would be exchange rates nowdays. How far does the Aussie dollar go in Fiji? I'm missing out on summer sailing now due to a back injury. Maybe, hopefully I'll be able to go windsurfing in a few months time. If so a trip to Fiji would be great. What sort of gear do they have to hire at Warren Francis's centre?

What would it roughly cost for twinshare, meals and hiring gear?

hinch
NSW, 45 posts
17 Feb 2009 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the feedback. Thinking Fiji as well. Has anyone been to the Phillipines sailing?

Warren Francis
NSW, 194 posts
19 Feb 2009 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback! We have just announced a South Pacific TEST Center for Neil Pryde and JP Boards, opening in June 2009 for all 2010 models. A complete list of equipmenrt available will be available in March 1st.

We have now a variety of accommodations, ranging from Beachfront Bure, Ocean View Villa, Mango Tree Villa and dorms....no camping anymore..those were the early days!!

Same fantastic Food and location....atmosphere....email me if you have any queries...thank you.

garyk
QLD, 277 posts
27 Feb 2009 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hope you get a supersport for when i'm there next

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Sailboarding Holiday" started by hinch