Forums > Windsurfing General

Sandy Point

Created by Ellobuddha > 9 months ago, 7 Dec 2008
Ellobuddha
NSW, 614 posts
7 Dec 2008 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Looking at doing a trip down to Sandy Point. I've never been there before but it looks great in the photos.

Can anyone assist with best wind direction, rigging spot, time of year, places to stay, good pubs etc.

Thanks in advance

kato
VIC, 2517 posts
7 Dec 2008 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

The Pit works best on WSW to SSW for Speed all year round on frontal activity.Never reliable just got to watch the charts and cross your fingers. Over summer we get the Easterly winds which may blow for 3 days up to 40kts.Short,scary runs through pressure waves onto the flat course then finish into more sharp chop.Al,s speedfortnight is always a good time for a Pit intro,lots of people of all levels and great fun.Need low tide for the speed courses to work and we park on the beach, so watch out for the high tide

Ellobuddha
NSW, 614 posts
7 Dec 2008 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Im not a speed sailor and definitely looking at staying out of the road. Just looking to sail on some flat water with some quality wind. Which area forecasts give the best coverage for the area? I am totally unware of how to get to "The pit" or any other spots that are recommended. All help for a total newbie to area would be appreciated.

FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
8 Dec 2008 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=15753

Dial in "Sandy Point, Vic" in google maps to find it. Drive to Sandy Point. Ignore the side roads on the right that lead into the village and keep going until the road comes out on the beach. Hang a right, drive down the beach for about half a Km (assuming it's not high tide) and park up next to everyone else.

Too easy. Not a lot to hit or get into trouble with, great place to get good. Yeah, it's a read speed sailing place, but as long as you're not too close (I mean less than 15 metres) from the beach where the speed kids are going fast you'll be fine - you'll quickly work out where's a cool place to be and where's not. If you're not sure, just ask. Everyone who sails down there is really friendly in my experience and only too happy to help.

Enjoy - it's a great spot!

FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
8 Dec 2008 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Places to stay - there's a campsite and plenty of houses available for hire. Pub - no, not really! There's a shop and that's about it - nearest pub is a few km away.

Ellobuddha
NSW, 614 posts
9 Dec 2008 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

FlickySpinny,

Thanks heaps mate, goos info. So Sw is the optimum direction. Want to try to check out the forecasts as its a good 5-6 hours away.

mathew
VIC, 1750 posts
9 Dec 2008 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

If you are keen to drive, your best bet is to wait for a day when windguru gives a full day of SW or Easterly, with 25kn or more. You would then only need to bring specific gear.

Often a few days before a blow, this forum lights up, so watching will probably give you a good indication of when the best day will be.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Sandy Point" started by Ellobuddha