Forums > Windsurfing General

Tenting Woodman Point. Best Bet?

Created by Fieldie > 9 months ago, 11 Feb 2015
Fieldie
WA, 361 posts
11 Feb 2015 2:33AM
Thumbs Up

G'day Guys!
I'm coming up for some time off after 16th Feb and, wind dependant, looking to sail at Woodman Point (among other places hopefully!)
Looking for advice on where to camp midweek on an unpowered site by myself for a couple of nights. Camp at Woodies or in Freo? Any thoughts/tips would be muchly appreciated!!!
Cheers!!!

Stuthepirate
SA, 3589 posts
11 Feb 2015 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Woodman point caravan park is the nicest one in the area and (obviously) close to Woodman Point
It doesn't have unpowered sites though

www.big4.com.au/caravan-parks/wa/greater-perth

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
11 Feb 2015 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

I'd pick Woodies if only as the Freo one up the road used to have some pretty different residents.....

grumplestiltskin
WA, 2331 posts
11 Feb 2015 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

What I would like to know is ... why you would go out of your way to sail at Woodies?

I sail there a lot coz its my closest beach, but its seriously not somewhere you would seek out.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
11 Feb 2015 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

^^ freestylers?

FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
11 Feb 2015 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
grumplestiltskin said..
What I would like to know is ... why you would go out of your way to sail at Woodies?

I sail there a lot coz its my closest beach, but its seriously not somewhere you would seek out.

Because beach 3 is <edited> a rather fine place to sail if you like Freestyle.

I've gotten on planes for a week's holiday to sail worse spots.

Also Beach 2 is as good as you'll get most of the way across Europe for general sailing. Ramps, warm sunny and windy - it's heaven for those that don't have it as their local.

barn
WA, 2960 posts
11 Feb 2015 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
grumplestiltskin said..

^^ Duckgybers?

People fly all the way from places like Estonia to sail Woodies..

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
11 Feb 2015 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

I was also going to suggest maybe gay sex and the sound of your windows shattering whilst you are on the water.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
11 Feb 2015 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
barn said..

People fly all the way from places like Estonian to sail Woodies..

Is that near Canadia?

Fieldie
WA, 361 posts
12 Feb 2015 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Haha!!! Ahhh, yup... ...that'll be a BIG "NO!!!!" to the gay sex etc and the sound of breaking glass reminds me of my last sh#t visit to Woodies about 20 years ago! Maybe not my ideal travel destination but the duck-gybe video is spot on...

I was looking to nail my gybes. I have been windsurfing for ages now and my water time has diminished remarkably since the arrival of sprogs. I have never convincingly nailed my gybes.

With three to four weeks up my sleeve to travel overnighters, maybe bank two nights in a row if conditions are special, I have the ability to travel within about 300-400km radius from Bunbury

Falcon estuary is on the radar and I had heard Woodies was some awesome flatwater for same.

albentley
NSW, 295 posts
12 Feb 2015 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Woodies is pretty sick. Also break in's are a bit of a legacy thing, been sailing there for 4 years now without a problem.

Wouldn't get too hung up on advice from people that spend 90% of their day on Seabreeze forums either!

BSN101
WA, 2244 posts
12 Feb 2015 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Fieldie said..
Haha!!! Ahhh, yup... ...that'll be a BIG "NO!!!!" to the gay sex etc and the sound of breaking glass reminds me of my last sh#t visit to Woodies about 20 years ago! Maybe not my ideal travel destination but the duck-gybe video is spot on...

I was looking to nail my gybes. I have been windsurfing for ages now and my water time has diminished remarkably since the arrival of sprogs. I have never convincingly nailed my gybes.

With three to four weeks up my sleeve to travel overnighters, maybe bank two nights in a row if conditions are special, I have the ability to travel within about 300-400km radius from Bunbury

Falcon estuary is on the radar and I had heard Woodies was some awesome flatwater for same.

albentley said..

Woodies is pretty sick. Also break in's are a bit of a legacy thing, been sailing there for 4 years now without a problem.

Wouldn't get too hung up on advice from people that spend 90% of their day on Seabreeze forums either!

Select to expand quote
Fieldie said..

Hi Fieldie, Augusta should be on your radar too. Im in Busso and will be heading there on Sat. SE wind is gold and flat water enhances gybes.
Let me know if you are going to go & will catch you there. Dave

whippingboy
WA, 1104 posts
12 Feb 2015 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

Come back Grumps you know you miss it

westozwind
WA, 1374 posts
12 Feb 2015 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

He was there on Saturday. Don't know if he recognised me with the polka dot shorts on...

Fieldie
WA, 361 posts
13 Feb 2015 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

Of course! Thanks Dave!!!! I hadn't even considered Augusta! I will keep that in mind especially on SE breeze, with bonus of the Augusta pub!!!

grumplestiltskin
WA, 2331 posts
13 Feb 2015 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
whippingboy said..
Come back Grumps you know you miss it

I didnt say it was bad, I just said I didnt think it was somewhere you would go out of your way to go to.
Mind you, I cant freestyle, so I had forgotten about that side of things.

Fieldie
WA, 361 posts
15 Feb 2015 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..

Fieldie said..

albentley said..

Fieldie said..

Hi Fieldie, Augusta should be on your radar too. Im in Busso and will be heading there on Sat. SE wind is gold and flat water enhances gybes.
Let me know if you are going to go & will catch you there. Dave

Tuesday is looking good down that way Dave? I can most likely be in Augusta by 9.30am as a day tripper! I dunno if it's windy enough Wednesday to justify an overnighter...

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Tenting Woodman Point. Best Bet?" started by Fieldie