Forums > Windsurfing General

Tryonsea elite 330

Created by actiomax Wednesday, 13 Sep 2017
actiomax
NSW, 1065 posts
Wednesday , 13 Sep 2017 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Ok a couple of years ago i rescued this board from the tip the deck hand separated from the bottom nearly completly all the way round it a two piece construction but I had a heap of epoxy &q cell &it was cheap enough so I took it home core &deck looked perfect i knew it was totally dry so i put it back together .
Ive had some fun on this .
But it never came with fin but it has proper center board &it doesnt really take much to be planning with centre board up & ive just stuck a 25 cm fin in .
I suppose its because of the long boarders I would like the advice &how to set it up .
What sail size fin etc .
Background would be great is it race board or a cross over to a short board sort of thing . Mast track is fixed but im not sure of were i should be setting to .
Would it be good to race in maybe old ****box class

BSN101
WA, 810 posts
Wednesday , 13 Sep 2017 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

25cm fin is tiny!
I run a 38cm in my EQ2
starboard a Phantom Race comes with a 52cm.
Going up to 34+ should give a performance increase.

Mast track more forward when sailing up wind with centre board down and back going off the wind with CB up. Experiment too.
You have to be able to reach the straps and sill sail comfortably so boom a bit higher or mast further back. You will need to experiment to find the correct boom height and mast track position and wind strength.
Now what sail are you using...

have fun

jimbob SA
SA, 817 posts
Thursday , 14 Sep 2017 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
25cm fin is tiny!
I run a 38cm in my EQ2

Mast track more forward when sailing up wind with centre board down and back going off the wind with CB up. Experiment too.
You have to be able to reach the straps and sill sail comfortably so boom a bit higher or mast further back. You will need to experiment to find the correct boom height and mast track position and wind strength.

have fun

Sorry but this is Really bad advice, these boards have a us box with absolutely no reinforcement just box glued to plastic, your fin is around the size they came with anything bigger than 30 will pull the box out.
Owned one in the 80's for a few years and learned the basics, not big enough volume (from memory about 170 litres) to compete with modern race boards , just enjoy it as is.

BSN101
WA, 810 posts
Thursday , 14 Sep 2017 6:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jimbob SA said..

BSN101 said..
25cm fin is tiny!
I run a 38cm in my EQ2

have fun

Sorry but this is Really bad advice, these boards have a us box with absolutely no reinforcement just box glued to plastic, your fin is around the size they came with anything bigger than 30 will pull the box out.
Owned one in the 80's for a few years and learned the basics, not big enough volume (from memory about 170 litres) to compete with modern race boards , just enjoy it as is.

Fair enough, but a larger fin than 25 will offer some benifit just don't go too big because rolling the fin box will be a pain.

joe windsurf
1126 posts
Thursday , 14 Sep 2017 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

US box can go up to 30 cm
as stated these boards work with small fins
in terms of sail size, obviously wind dependent (and sailor size/skills)
as a a heavyweight, in bigger winds i use 7.x (have not tried 6.x - will be on short board by then)
in light wind have used 10.0, but now stay with 8.x (8.5 no cam or 8.4 race sail)
enjoy !!

grich62
QLD, 351 posts
Thursday , 14 Sep 2017 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

you can put a new fin box in these boards if you can find a chynook us box with the spigiot on it .once you have cut board to fit box use ca glue to prepare the plastic so that the epoxy will stick to it use plenty of glass in the cut out as this i where the strength will be ,once it is all filled and sanded lay a large piece of glass over the repair and pour more ca glue over it and spread with your finger to wet it out you can then sand this layer and paint. this repair can also be done with the old box but is not as strong ps watch out for the smoke as the ca goes of

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Tryonsea elite 330" started by actiomax