Forums > Windsurfing General

Wet Willy is going to Maui

Created by Wet Willy > 9 months ago, 13 Mar 2011
Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
13 Mar 2011 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Finally ready to make it happen! 2011 is the year!

I'm going to do extensive research of course...the plan is for about 2 weeks in July...any insider tips greatly appreciated!

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
13 Mar 2011 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

We were there in August and it was awesome great temp wind every day except I sun shining. Truthfully the best place I've been in years and will be going back when finances allow. We stayed on the west coast and drove around each day, bout 30 mins the bonus of being on the west side is the non windsurfing partner has great resorts to be in and enjoy.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
14 Mar 2011 2:53AM
Thumbs Up

thanks gregc...accomodation-wise, actually I would gladly crawl into the nearest clump of trees and sleep rough every night, or crash in the cheapest fleabag motel in town, just to be able to sail in Maui...but now that I'm married it ain't gonna be so simple - my wife has somewhat higher standards than I do when it comes to accommodation! Gonna need to find something affordable yet reasonably nice...

...and driving on the wrong side of the road (probably in a van) is gonna be a challenge! Never driven a van before, in fact I just got my licence last year and haven't driven at all since...hoo boy, I think this is gonna be one very interesting trip! ;)

...are Hawaiian traffic cops friendly?

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
14 Mar 2011 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Wet Willy said...

...but now that I'm married it ain't gonna be so simple - my wife has somewhat higher standards than I

Yup. I was there 20 years ago - just about slept in the ditch.

Went back with the missus few years ago - costs skyrocketed, for less sailing too.

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
14 Mar 2011 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

See you there, let's do lunch

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
14 Mar 2011 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Wet Willy said...

in fact I just got my licence last year

OMG! No more crazy golf cart contraptions then?

NSW, 190 posts
14 Mar 2011 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

It's a very cruisy place to drive, everyone is pretty relaxed on the road, I wouldn't stress about it.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
14 Mar 2011 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian said...

Wet Willy said...

in fact I just got my licence last year

OMG! No more crazy golf cart contraptions then?

Depends how long I can keep my licence!

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
14 Mar 2011 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

I've been to Maui quite a bit and my pick would be the North Shore. Do a search for accommodation around Spreckesville to Paia area. Since they clamped down on private rentals a few years back Sprecks accommodation is harder to get but is available if you look around and contact some of the shops. Paia is a nice little town, less commercial and more laid back, with a good choice of restaurants.

The best trip I've had was when we stayed right on Sprecks beach. Had all gear rigged on the lawn, walk out of the property straight on to Sprecks for nice 4.7m sailing. When you get a bit tired then sit in the spa with a beer watching guys like Goya and Stone do their stuff (they often came doen for an afternoon sail).

There is a lot of accomodation on the South Side, look at Kihei (More touristy). If you stay at the Maui Sunset you can sail off the property when the tide isn't low. It's about 20 m drive from Kihei (near the airport), which is another very popular spot, flatish and B&J.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
15 Mar 2011 12:35AM
Thumbs Up

Driving on the other side: I have to switch quite a bit, and you never get used to it, don't even try. However you can get comfortable and safe.

At first, spot a nice straight quiet road, where you can get used to it. Practice only inside turns at first, i.e. right-hand turns in the US. Do left turns only once you're comfy. Don't chuck a U-e for the first couple of weeks. Avoid peek hour traffic at first. Simple as that.

I once rented in Kings Cross at 2am on a Saturday, after spending 6 months in the US. Now, that was sport !

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
15 Mar 2011 1:15AM
Thumbs Up

Haha...I can ride a motorbike on the wrong side of the road no prob - had lots of practice in Vietnam - but a car or van will be a whole different story! And I only got my licence last year; haven't driven since. Can't afford to buy a car here in Singapore, prices are cray-zeee.

Maybe I SHOULD rig up the bike trailer thingy again!

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
16 Mar 2011 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Booked my airfare yesterday for 2 weeks at the end of june - beginning of july.

We staying at sprecklesville beach estate as we did last year - Its pretty expensive at around $200 US + taxs for a studio appartment but it is right on the beach. Literally walk out the back gate onto the sand and into tthe water.
My parnter is not a windsurfer and gets bored sitting in the sun all arvo so being able to retreat into the unit to do her own stuff while I was out there sailing for hours was priceless.
At the end of the session you just wash the gear down and hang the sail up in a shed fully rigged to dry, grab your beer and fire up the BBQ :)

Last year in june I sailed about 16 days in a row on a 4.7 or 5.3
i got the accomadation and rental gear thru matt prichard. (tabou + gasta). He works with local real estate agency.

Probably most important advice tho is watch out for the bloody Turtles. They like to sit right where you think its safe to land.

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
16 Mar 2011 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

those turtles are amazing, they seem to get out of the way ok, but man they give you a fright when they stick their heads up in front of your line when you are fanging along.

I was at Kanaha last June, struggling to water start one day when the wind was a bit light, way out, and this thing starts rising out of the water just in front of me, like a big rock rising up. I was freaking out thinking my time had come, then this huge turtle with a head like ET pops his head out and blows fishy breath at me. I screamed at him to go away and he did. If I meet him again I'll be a little more cool about it next time.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
16 Mar 2011 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

for some reason I!m thinking of the sea turtle in Finding Nemo...now that was one cool turtle/dude; I wonder if they all talk like that?

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
16 Mar 2011 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a good group of Aussie heading over agin this year, at least 7 SA peeps heading over late June early July....

Flat Bread evening anyone? 4th July celebrations and fireworks night??

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
16 Mar 2011 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

working on it now Dave to get over there too.
the 4th July celebrations is the same day as my 50th Birthday..
would be great to meet the famous willy.

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
17 Mar 2011 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

sounds good ill be the for the 4th :)

JoLee
QLD, 294 posts
17 Mar 2011 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

EEEk sorry to be a party pooper but; I'm looking forward to Maui (Sprecs) too in late July; but if they don't tame that radio active cloud in Japan poor old Maui may be the next in line across the Pacific? Am I getting ahead of myself?

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
17 Mar 2011 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

JoLee said...

EEEk sorry to be a party pooper but; I'm looking forward to Maui (Sprecs) too in late July; but if they don't tame that radio active cloud in Japan poor old Maui may be the next in line across the Pacific? Am I getting ahead of myself?

Woo Hoo! That'll bring prices down for sure! Heck, we all die of something - I wouldn't mind dying of WINDSURFING IN MAUI

...but yes, I think you are getting ahead of yourself...

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
17 Mar 2011 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

loooking forward to your appraisal Willie. And dont worry,no matter what you die of we'll put "Died Windsurfing in Maui" on your headstone.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Wet Willy is going to Maui" started by Wet Willy