Forums > Windsurfing General

Windsurfing II

Created by evlPanda > 9 months ago, 9 Sep 2013
evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
9 Sep 2013 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

This is a really, really silly idea. I know that, but I still have to ask for fun and science. And Monday.

If you were to tie your board to a buoy, either at the nose of the board or the midpoint somewhere, and if there were enough wind, like a lot of wind, and you had a big sail...

...could you kinda fly around like a kite, with some semblance of control?

longwinded
WA, 344 posts
9 Sep 2013 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Only if you have polka dot boardies on!

Macroscien
QLD, 6791 posts
9 Sep 2013 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Strong wind and the buoy remind me something indeed
One of this stormy days that happen once in the year, Life Saver beach in Melbourne.
Wind above 50 ktn , waves at my mast hight, just a few daredevils in the water.
And me on 4.2m2 completely overpowered and almost unable to water start
When I was drifting unable to waterstart I saw that buoy 200-300m away down the wind, then distance closed with every second passed.
Against all my efforts and prayers I drifted straight onto this single obstacle and at the moment the board touched the buoy the sail kept in the water flipped violently onto this buoy and fortunately enough flipped again leaving huge hole in my beloved KA sail

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
9 Sep 2013 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

No wind up your way?

Yep silly idea but go ahead and try just let me know when and where so I can be there to see it......should be worth a laugh, I need a good laugh.

Good luck and thumbs up from me

DNSDC
NSW, 26 posts
10 Sep 2013 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

That idea reminds me of the old Wind Weapon from the Eighties!

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
10 Sep 2013 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Ha...

New type of windmill.

Windsurfer invented it:

source: http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/why-google-thinks-autonomous-flying-drones-are-the-future-of-clean-energy

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
10 Sep 2013 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

The combination of an inflatable Mistral Windglider hull, a couple of smallish children and a motorboat driver with a lack of foresight can result in reasonable airtime and a possible "funniest home video" entry.
The rig is not required for good airtime.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Windsurfing II" started by evlPanda