Forums > Windsurfing General

Windsurfing Maui Hawaii

Created by Gidget > 9 months ago, 6 Nov 2009
Gidget
NSW, 104 posts
6 Nov 2009 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

Anybody got any tips on gear and car/van hire, accommodation, beaches and locations etc in Maui? My Dr has told me I have to go windsurfing there and has written me a script with the advice that I "must get it filled." He has been windsurfing there several times, as has my pharmacist. I was hoping to go in June 2010 when there is a Film Festival, going with a friend, want to do it on a reasonable budget as I don't earn a Drs wage (what are the hostels like?), meet people, and avoid the "touristy"/city thing.

migosa
24 posts
7 Nov 2009 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

check GP at mauisurfreport blog. He has two units and one is often to rent for people that come to maui to windsurf. Its a cheap and clean place, and he seems to be a nice guy too.

sailpilot
QLD, 780 posts
7 Nov 2009 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

What about organised windsurfing trips, share accomm,gear hire sorted etc. Would be a pity to get out of a 3 hour film to find its been blowing all afternoon

Gidget
NSW, 104 posts
7 Nov 2009 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

sailpilot said...

What about organised windsurfing trips, share accomm,gear hire sorted etc. Would be a pity to get out of a 3 hour film to find its been blowing all afternoon

I was hoping to go at night to the film festival I really dug the Bondi Pavillion Flickerfest flickerfest.com.au/ I was hoping that the Maui thing would be something of the same sort www.mauifilmfestival.com/mffw_index.php !

Gidget
NSW, 104 posts
7 Nov 2009 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

migosa said...

check GP at mauisurfreport blog. He has two units and one is often to rent for people that come to maui to windsurf. Its a cheap and clean place, and he seems to be a nice guy too.

I'm onto it now!

jasonk
QLD, 23 posts
8 Nov 2009 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Get onto Mat Pritchard at pritchardwindsurfing.com.

He pulled new Tabou gear and Gastra sails straight out of the box for me. MOst hire gear I saw was well worn.

Matt will also organise accom and gear hire for you plus its not bad getting a visit and tips from a 3x world champ.

North shore Maui is a must for any sailboarder at least once in their lifetime. Just do it.

Gidget
NSW, 104 posts
9 Nov 2009 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

jasonk said...

Get onto Mat Pritchard at pritchardwindsurfing.com.

He pulled new Tabou gear and Gastra sails straight out of the box for me. MOst hire gear I saw was well worn.

Matt will also organise accom and gear hire for you plus its not bad getting a visit and tips from a 3x world champ.

North shore Maui is a must for any sailboarder at least once in their lifetime. Just do it.

Thanks so much for that, and following up this lead as we speak

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
9 Nov 2009 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Al west for cheap van hire
Hawaiian Island for gear hire - cheap and very easy to deal with
Lots of accomodation options, GP is a good start.
Maui film festival is great, do it!
June this year was windy for 18 days straight form 10th June to 28th June (Sup was the only option for last three days of our trip)
sailed mostly 4.7 - 5.2 most of the time,

timford
NSW, 510 posts
9 Nov 2009 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

divaldo said...

Al west for cheap van hire
Hawaiian Island for gear hire - cheap and very easy to deal with
Lots of accomodation options, GP is a good start.
Maui film festival is great, do it!
June this year was windy for 18 days straight form 10th June to 28th June (Sup was the only option for last three days of our trip)
sailed mostly 4.7 - 5.2 most of the time,

agree with the above about al west, the vans are so massive!! go for Matt P's joint (just dont book when I want to go please), gear and lessons. He is really good to deal with.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Windsurfing Maui Hawaii" started by Gidget