Forums > Windsurfing General

Yet another beginner question about fins

Created by tazmania > 9 months ago, 2 Jan 2015
tazmania
WA, 83 posts
2 Jan 2015 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

I'm using a 150l board that is 87cm wide and I weigh 95 kilos. The fin on it is 36cm and whenever I get in the harness I end up just going downwind no matter what I try. It feels like I'm drifting sideways across the water and I can't seem to get speed up So I'm thinking the sideways movement is causing a lot of drag.

Do I need a bigger fin?

albentley
NSW, 295 posts
2 Jan 2015 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

That fin should easily be big enough. You probably need to improve your stance to get planing easier/ earlier. Make sure your keeping your front leg straight and the sail sheeted in enough. Once your planing going across the wind should be easy.

Faff
VIC, 1169 posts
2 Jan 2015 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
albentley said..
That fin should easily be big enough. You probably need to improve your stance to get planing easier/ earlier. Make sure your keeping your front leg straight and the sail sheeted in enough. Once your planing going across the wind should be easy.

What should be the sail angle on a beam reach? At what point would you be oversheeted?

powersloshin
NSW, 1656 posts
2 Jan 2015 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

With that size board I reckon you should have a fin around 46 at least, but there are other factors like board shape, sail size, and of course technique is most important. If your board goes sideways it might be that you are trying to point too high too soon. Try and reduce the angle, then get some speed and then gradually try and point higher. Don't sheet in too much unless you are planing and got plenty of speed.

Obelix
WA, 1088 posts
2 Jan 2015 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Agree with powersloshin. Get a larger fin.

A 160L board I used to have came with 52cm fin.
My 135L board came with 46cm.

So a 48cm freeride fin seems reasonable for a 150L board.
It would hold a bit better and would get you planning sooner.

That 36 should still work though.

albentley
NSW, 295 posts
2 Jan 2015 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrCranky said..

albentley said..

What should be the sail angle on a beam reach? At what point would you be oversheeted?

Whatever angle gives you the most power, I know that isnt the answer your looking for, but it really is a 'feel' thing rather than a set angle. Look at the other sailors around you who are planing and copy theirs!

Faff
VIC, 1169 posts
2 Jan 2015 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
albentley said..

MrCranky said..

Whatever angle gives you the most power, I know that isnt the answer your looking for, but it really is a 'feel' thing rather than a set angle. Look at the other sailors around you who are planing and copy theirs!

Aping others on the water is my modus operandi. That's why I hate sailing alone. My wind-sense is poor.

powersloshin
NSW, 1656 posts
2 Jan 2015 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

The sheeting angle thing is tipical of people that started sailing in dinghyes and yachts, but you need to forget about that when windsurfing. albentley is right, you learn to feel how much power is going through the sail because it goes through your hook, arms and feet. Just try and sheet in and if you have enough power you will accelerate, most of the times you need to sheet in more than you think

tazmania
WA, 83 posts
3 Jan 2015 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the responses. Will get a bigger fin and report back on results.

Mastbender
1972 posts
3 Jan 2015 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

And start off heading a bit more down wind of your jibe target on the other side of your reach, don't try to start off heading directly at the target, you'll just end up heading up wind because of the lack of power. Sail away from it first until you've reached good planing speed, then start heading towards your target under power.
It's a curve, not a straight line.

tazmania
WA, 83 posts
4 Jan 2015 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Bought a second hand 48cm fin yesterday off the buy/sell here. Very good condition Drake. Went out today to see what the effect would be. Much better I can thankfully say.

I forgot to mention the other day that the board would be pointed upwind but just tracking sideways downwind. With the new fin today it went in whatever direction I pointed the board so had no trouble going upwind when required.

I took on board all the pointer above about stance too and found Shauna Apcros's website with some advice about twisting in the harness upwind. I tried that and bang upwind she goes with the greatest of ease.

I also as MastBender says above headed downwind to pick up speed and then spun it around.

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone.

Happy sailing!

Gos
WA, 50 posts
6 Jan 2015 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tazmania said..
Bought a second hand 48cm fin yesterday off the buy/sell here. Very good condition Drake. Went out today to see what the effect would be. Much better I can thankfully say.

I forgot to mention the other day that the board would be pointed upwind but just tracking sideways downwind. With the new fin today it went in whatever direction I pointed the board so had no trouble going upwind when required.

I took on board all the pointer above about stance too and found Shauna Apcros's website with some advice about twisting in the harness upwind. I tried that and bang upwind she goes with the greatest of ease.

I also as MastBender says above headed downwind to pick up speed and then spun it around.

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone.

Happy sailing!

Yeah i second the thanks for the good advice. I've been battling my Mistral 161l and couldn't work out why i was drifting slightly downwind, but now it is clear.
Good question Tazmania and thanks everyone for feedback.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Yet another beginner question about fins" started by tazmania