Forums > Windsurfing General

gybing. Port tack vs starboard

Created by Windxtasy > 9 months ago, 9 Dec 2015
Windxtasy
WA, 4013 posts
9 Dec 2015 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

My port tack gybes to starboard are much better than my starboard tacks changing to port.
I am wondering if this is because I practice on that side more (because of wind strength and sandbank location) or if it has something to do with handedness and footedness. I am right handed but a goofy footer.
I would be interested to know which side you gybe better on, which you do more of (if not an even number) and if you are right or left handed, and goofy footed or regular.

musorianin
QLD, 574 posts
9 Dec 2015 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

I'm ****e on both sides

(Edit: That's pretty funny, the forum automatically put those stars in)

decrepit
WA, 11886 posts
9 Dec 2015 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

My best alphas are always port to starboard, I'm right handed and a goofy.

My port gybes were developed in the surf out the back gybing onto waves, whereas my starboard gybes were developed inside the break in the flat.
Out the back, there's not much margin for error, whereas in the inside I think I got lazy.
My carve is better on starboard when my goofy feet come into play, but my timing and rig throw is much better on port.
Also most of the good alpha venues here are Port tack, in smooth water.
Starboard gybes are normally in choppy water, where my surfing inside gybes don't work at all, rather than my normal strap to strap, I've had to convert to a step gybe that I find much slower.

AJEaster
NSW, 695 posts
10 Dec 2015 4:49AM
Thumbs Up

I am right handed and a Goofy foot as well. My best gybes are on starboard, and this is mostly from my wave sailing.

When wave sailing, I found I put more effort into carving gybes on the inside (starboard gybe exiting on port) to keep me planning back out through the shore break to get jumps, where as out the back I would normally snap a gybe around (not usually a planning gybe) when I found a wave that I wanted to catch. I think the snapping gybe was easiest for me in the early days because the water was a lot rougher out the back so transitioning with a snap gave me close to a 100% success rate. And that is just the way I sail my local beach to this day. Interesting when you study it, because I have never thought about it until your question.

At LG this year, I noticed that really enjoyed carving gybes on both sides, but I was getting faster exits on Starboard gybes (despite the rougher water on starboard) and I put it down to better rig control initiated from the right hand.

Given the examples from yourself, Mike and I with differing outcomes, I am hypothesising that our best gybing side is a result of the most used sailing spot and what we perceive is the best/easiest gybing for that spot, and what you choose to put the most practice into (rather than handedness, or footedness ).

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
10 Dec 2015 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

We get wind from two opposite directions here, but I always gybe better off port tack where my right hand is back and right foot is doing the carve. Put it down to being right-handed.

John340
QLD, 3063 posts
10 Dec 2015 6:17AM
Thumbs Up

I'm natural footed. I gybe better from starboard to port.

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
10 Dec 2015 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

right handed - going from starboard to port has always been faster for me.
i power up and get planing a lot easier on port that i do on starboard so i tend to be a lot more aggressive on my gybe going from starbord to port.

being right handed i find i can pour on the power when my right hand is at the back so the exit acceleration is just better coming out on the port side.
added to this i have better board control when stepping forward with my right at the start of the gybe than i do when i use left.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7925 posts
10 Dec 2015 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
My best alphas are always port to starboard, I'm right handed and a goofy.

My port gybes were developed in the surf out the back gybing onto waves, whereas my starboard gybes were developed inside the break in the flat.
Out the back, there's not much margin for error, whereas in the inside I think I got lazy.
My carve is better on starboard when my goofy feet come into play, but my timing and rig throw is much better on port.
Also most of the good alpha venues here are Port tack, in smooth water.
Starboard gybes are normally in choppy water, where my surfing inside gybes don't work at all, rather than my normal strap to strap, I've had to convert to a step gybe that I find much slower.

Back in the 90's I was better starboard to port as Valentine + Nobby's was flatter for that tack.The other side was gybing in chop.
These days I'm better port to starboard as its smoother gybing on that tack in most of the places I sail .I used to push it to try and do planing gybes in the chop but Ive got whimpy in my old age + since getting the slalom board..
Having said that my PB's were gained on the opposite side in LG small chop...I was just having fun that day and not aiming for any.
I am right handed generally but while having tennis elbow I had to learn to do a lot of things with my left hand so now can use either except for writing / art.

Bugs74
QLD, 71 posts
10 Dec 2015 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

Hi I'm not so great at gybes yet but I have noticed that I find it easier sailing on a port tack rather than a starboard one. My thoughts are that is because I'm right handed and have more control/better balance with that stance. I think this also affects my attempts at gybing as well.

PhilSWR
NSW, 1104 posts
10 Dec 2015 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

I'm pretty average at gybing and a goofy but I have noticed I'm more liable to exit planning on starboard tack. I put it down to where I sail (and a surfing background) as starboard is my "out the back wave gybing" side, which to me is just like a back hand cutback. Port gybing is ok but needs more sailing skills than surfing, so I'm not as fluent. But ironically my best alphas come off my gumby port side...

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
10 Dec 2015 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

I think the best gybes are probably where the water is flattest.. For me it is anyway
My best alphas have been port to starboard when in Mandurah
But at Melville the opposite starboard to port
Any gybe where you don't have to water start is a good gybe

jn1
2454 posts
10 Dec 2015 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

As some of you have mentioned, how I gybe depends on the water condition. In summer, we are lucky in Adelaide (located in a gulf) that we have both starboard and port tack seabreezes. I like to mix it up to get practice. I can switch between one and the other easily, but my most practiced is port tack sailing (ie: sailing out to sea on the port tack).

powersloshin
NSW, 1656 posts
11 Dec 2015 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

That's due to the rotation of the earth in the southern emisphere that propels you faster to starboard . If you travel to the North you fastest jibes will be on the opposite tack.

.... just kidding

Tozza
WA, 160 posts
11 Dec 2015 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

I've always been better gybing on the Starboard tack. It's from when I was learning, the wind gusts were lighter near the shore and it was shallow so easy to get going again after falling off. Basically lead to tones more repetitions on one tack.

If on the river alternate between Peli Point and Melville you get the stronger breeze on different tacks.

patsken
WA, 704 posts
11 Dec 2015 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

My best gybes are always the ones done out the back in the deep, dark water!!!

You know the place - where the Jaws theme plays over and over again. Lano and Coronation Beach come to mind

ozziedave
WA, 10 posts
11 Dec 2015 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

I find my best gybes are close to the beach - my theory is that its easier to time the gybe when you can see the beach as it gives a good reference point. Probably just me?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"gybing. Port tack vs starboard" started by Windxtasy