Forums > Windsurfing General

windsurfing resorts

Created by Richiefish > 9 months ago, 5 May 2008
Richiefish
QLD, 5469 posts
5 May 2008 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

Anybody had any experience with resort type windsurfer holidays? Eg. walk out of cabin onto beach, choose board and rig to suit conditions, sail all morning, have lunch and a nap, choose afternoon rig, sail all arvo, have a shower , hit the bar/bistro, chat to beautiful Swedish windsurfer chicks, get lucky,sleep, repeat daily.?????? or similar.

stribo
QLD, 1626 posts
5 May 2008 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like Lano

Stewie
VIC, 218 posts
5 May 2008 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like life in Kings Cross except for the

walk out of cabin onto beach, choose board and rig to suit conditions, sail all morning, have lunch and a nap, choose afternoon rig, sail all arvo, have a shower , hit the bar/bistro, chat to beautiful Swedish windsurfer chicks, get lucky,sleep, repeat daily.
part.

The chat to chicks, get lucky part is true though.

Gybesports
NSW, 193 posts
5 May 2008 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Yes in Lake Garda this was exactly what we did for a week but we camped by the lake, a great week allround but if your are looking for swedish princesse of the odd german dominatrix then I would suggest Vasiliki , greece or Turke they are all good.

We used to rent a house on the beach at sprekesville maui that was also like that but since the council banned short term lettings on Maui we have not been able to rent that place.

I reckon like skiing it is the only way to combine windsurfing and a holiday. Just spent last week in fiji which as a holiday destination is fabulous and the wind actually blew 3 days but their gear was very poor.

regards

David

892 posts
5 May 2008 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Ask Wetwilly - he was in Mui Ne (Vietnam) recently, apparently that place is pretty good, and the price is not bad (once you get there).

It's a Starboard test centre, so the team riders and official testers are lurking. My brother was offered the chance to try out some '09 prototypes and let them know what he thought. That was just before Christmas '07..

Mobydisc
NSW, 8584 posts
5 May 2008 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Did anyone see the video of that Austrian bastard when he had a holiday in Thailand? He down at the beach drinking beer by the bay and it was very windy. I could not believe my eyes, there is somewhere where its windy by the sea.

So if there is somewhere in Thailand by the sea that has windsurfing, it might be good.

lao shi
WA, 1196 posts
5 May 2008 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Mauritius is good but better to take kit as the restrictions on what conditions you can sail in can be frustrating. Mistral Centre at Le Morne, Indian resort. Pricy though.

fionzc
82 posts
5 May 2008 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Yea Mui Ne is great! There are 2 resorts there that does equipment rental - Jibe's & Windchimes. You literally live by the beach and can hear the waves crashing from your room.

Jibe's the more popular one & also the test centre. They have a wide selection of Severne & Starboard gear. Check out their website to get more details: www.windsurf-vietnam.com

I was there for about 8 days in Feb & spent less than 1000 USD in total inclusive of accomodation...pretty cheap. However the season's from around Nov - Mar.

Pattaya (Thailand) & Boracays (Philippines) both have windsurfing resorts too...but not sure how they're like. Boracays is supposedly quite nice.

Warren Francis
NSW, 194 posts
5 May 2008 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys

Check out www.safarilodge.com.fj if you want a Windsurfing Resort right on the windy beach, on the windiest pasage in Fiji....thats been operating there for the past 17 years!!

email me if you want more information, warren@safarilodge.com.fj

We do weekly packages from Sat to Sat, with or without equipment rentals. You are welcome to bring your own, leave it rigged the whole week, your sails in our Sail racks, your board in our board racks and your beer on your balcony!!

We have upmarket Beachfront Bures, Ocean View villas and Mango Tree Villas and the main Lodge for accommodation, accommodating up to 40 guests.

another Windy day today, 18-20 knots.....

Warm windy Fiji...love it!!!

Rgds

Warren

ka72
QLD, 534 posts
5 May 2008 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Here are two links to places I have been to. Prasonisi is on the Greek Island or Rhodes at the southern most tip. I didnt stay there, but hired gear from there for a few days. It would be a great place to stay for a few weeks and has all that you have mentioned, including a great beach Taverna right on the sand.

www.prasonisi.com/

Flag beach is on the north end of Feuteventura and is the same sort of set up, but the accommodation is down the beach a bit, not right in front of the hire place, so not quite as good a set up but heaps of the latest gear to hire and loads of euros

www.flagbeach.com/main.php

Also can recommend Fiji, went on one of Warren's trips way way back before he had safari lodge, is a beautiful island and also great windsurfing destination not too far from Queensland either

Mobydisc
NSW, 8584 posts
5 May 2008 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

The Med is a bit far away to go for windsurfing. Fiji and Vietnam look the go. The only downer with Vietnam is their windy season seems to be summer down in Australia, where traditionally we get our better winds too.

RAL INN
VIC, 2741 posts
5 May 2008 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

we are organising an all inclusive trip to Safari lodge last 2 weeks of August.
That's all inclusive except for airfares, grog, snacks.
but does include use of gear, meals, soft drink, transfers, and a pile of no wind activities.

Gestalt
QLD, 12082 posts
5 May 2008 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Burrum Sands!

Richiefish
QLD, 5469 posts
6 May 2008 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt said...

Burrum Sands!

I could just pitch a tent in Rays front yard !

graceman
WA, 323 posts
6 May 2008 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Maldives, you need to get the season right,
Awesome place.

FormulaNova
NSW, 8895 posts
6 May 2008 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Richiefish said...

Anybody had any experience with resort type windsurfer holidays? Eg. walk out of cabin onto beach, choose board and rig to suit conditions, sail all morning, have lunch and a nap, choose afternoon rig, sail all arvo, have a shower , hit the bar/bistro, chat to beautiful Swedish windsurfer chicks, get lucky,sleep, repeat daily.?????? or similar.

I went to Dahab, Egypt a few years ago in September and October. The best thing about the setup there is the fact that you can go get whatever size sail you want and go.

One thing I didn't like was that you had to choose your board before you went. You could get a different board if you wanted but as most of the boards are also reserved for other guests there really aren't that many boards left to choose from.

As the wind was pretty gusty at that time of year the board I chose was too small as I needed something bigger to plane through the lulls. Based on the wind stats I read, I chose a 115L board, but in reality a 130 litre board was what I needed.

I think if I went back I would go in June/July instead. Even though it appears less windy than Sep/Oct I think the wind is more consistent.

I think to get these sort of windsurfing holidays you need to go to one of the UK run resorts. Check out the following if you haven't already:

www.sportif-uk.com/

www.planetwindsurf.com/

www.clubvass.com/

I think you will find a lot of Germans and English at these resorts, where ever you go. Swedish windsurfer chicks? Sign me up for that resort

easty
TAS, 2213 posts
6 May 2008 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

RAL INN said...

but does include use of gear, meals, soft drink, transfers, and a pile of no wind activities.

swap the soft drink for grog on the inclusive list!
I'll make it one day Tony.

Rabs
81 posts
6 May 2008 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Go to Boracay in the Philippines. Only 8 hr flight from Sydney and it is a kite/windsurf mecca. The partying on the island is fantastic and there is guarenteed wind at certain times of the year as well as hire centres. Check out www.extremesportscafe.com/windsurfing_philippines.html
Think you might have missed the wind window this year but I was there this Jan/Feb and had an awesome time. The downer is that there are quite a lot of kites as well but the partying on the island and chicks are out of this world... They have the Asian windsurf tour - funboard world cup there in the New Year and it is a world class windsurfing venue.
Apart from that most windsurfing hloiday destinations are in the northern hemisphere although WA - Lancelin and New Zealand are good for wind and you can hire at Lancelin.

jp747
1548 posts
6 May 2008 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

hey rabs did you bring your own kit or from where did you rent or stay on boracay? there are a bunch of low pressure areas coming in within the next week and the front beach will be blasting and foaming

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
6 May 2008 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

fionzc said...

Yea Mui Ne is great! There are 2 resorts there that does equipment rental - Jibe's & Windchimes. You literally live by the beach and can hear the waves crashing from your room.

Jibe's the more popular one & also the test centre. They have a wide selection of Severne & Starboard gear. Check out their website to get more details: www.windsurf-vietnam.com

I was there for about 8 days in Feb & spent less than 1000 USD in total inclusive of accomodation...pretty cheap. However the season's from around Nov - Mar.

Pattaya (Thailand) & Boracays (Philippines) both have windsurfing resorts too...but not sure how they're like. Boracays is supposedly quite nice.

How the hell did you manage to spend USD$1000 in 8 days in Vietnam????

Even Stewie wouldn't need THAT many prostitutes...

Accomodation at Mui Ne starts at $6 a night, but you will be much more comfortable paying $10-$12. Then again if you want to break the bank there's places which charge anything from $20 up to $200. A week worth of gear rentals costs something like $250, if I recall correctly, and the rates are reduced for longer periods. BYO gear is ok, too. 1 board/2 sails would be ok - I survived on this (ok I had 3 sails) for 3 months.

Mui Ne is GREAT! Sideshore wind blows virtually every day, plenty of good sailors and good, cheap food, a great atmosphere, and you are allowed to run over kiters -as long as you are on Starboard tack, the law can't touch you!

OK, I lied about the last part..

Rabs
81 posts
6 May 2008 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Hey JP.
I hired from the Mistral/F2/North Centre on Bulabog beach. This is the main windsurf and kite beach and is only a 15 min walk form the touristy white beach. There are 2 other windsurf centres on this beach as well - a JP/Pryde Centre and a smaller Korean centre. I found the F2/North Centre better as it's the bigger centre and at the right end of the beach. Taking gear is tricky from Oz as you have to get another 30min connecting flight from Manilla which adds to the stresses...
I stayed at reef retreat which is a dedicated kite/windsurf lodge right by the F2/North Centre on Bulabog beach. www.reefretreatboracay.com. The guy that runs it is called Matt and is an english windsurfer and the place was comfortable with everything you need. Email him at reef.retreat@hotmail.com as he will know the score with the hire centres as we are techincally out of the windy season now. I would have thought they'd still be open and you never need to book anything.

RAL INN
VIC, 2741 posts
6 May 2008 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

easty said...

RAL INN said...

swap the soft drink for grog on the inclusive list!
I'll make it one day Tony.

at $3 a stubbie even you'd not go broke, Easty.

trebuchet
NSW, 32 posts
6 May 2008 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone recommend a resort somewhere in north Queensland (Whitsundays?) that provides decent rental kit?

Gestalt
QLD, 12082 posts
6 May 2008 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Richiefish said...

www.velawindsurf.com/jericoacoara/index.html

coming up to the windy season in a few months. it's a mission to get to but i am told well worth it. i know a few guys organising a trip this year and they are opening it up to anyone that wants to join in.

i am told that the gear is rigged for you and carried to the water. bloes 20-30 knots every day. hot spot for freestyle and small wave sailing.

FormulaNova
NSW, 8895 posts
6 May 2008 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt said...

www.velawindsurf.com/jericoacoara/index.html

coming up to the windy season in a few months. it's a mission to get to but i am told well worth it. i know a few guys organising a trip this year and they are opening it up to anyone that wants to join in.

Which way are your flights going? I looked at getting there and you can try and go there sort of direct, but the flights seemed all over the place.

It looked like you could get easier flights from the US, but I guess that adds to the flying time.

Any idea of the rough costs for the flights?

Warren Francis
NSW, 194 posts
6 May 2008 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys..

A little more info is on www.safarilodge.com.fj .......please email me on warren@safarilodge.com.fj or call 0408 862000 in Aussie...

Sail Fiji 2008... We operate 12 months in fiji. Our 2008 weekly group season commences in April and concludes in January 2009, maximising our Windsurfing program to co-incide with the fantastic S.E. Trade Wind season from April - January. We have been very busy in Fiji and are very much looking forward to our 18th year of operating in Fiji!

In April 2005 we opened our new Island property, offering our two story Island Villa for accommodation throughout 2005 trips. We have commenced our new building program and opened in April 2006 our new Restaurant / Shop/ office for Guest enjoyment. We have also increased our accommodation with a new Ocean View two bedroom villa (self contained) and one deluxe Beachfront Bure. The Beachfront Bure contain a Queen bed and two single beds, self contained bathroom and a lovely relaxing Deck onto the beach. In 2008 our two new mango Tree villas open, offering 2 double rooms and two dorms and an amazing view!!.

With limited numbers, please don't wait for the opportunity...contact us now for more inforamtion or to reserve your place on these fantastic Holidays. 2007 was a terrific season for Windsurfing and thank you to all our clients who joined us again in 2007. Start planning now for our extended season in 2008!! Windsurfing - the ultimate in freedom - the ultimate challenge - even when you’re relaxing on holiday!

Join WARREN FRANCIS - for a two week (15 days) or one week (7 days) Instructional Windsurfing Safari to Fiji this Winter.

Prices Accomodation Instruction Trade Winds Fiji Visitors Free Email Q & A Prices Diving

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The holiday...
Arrive at the airport, be whisked away in the Safari Lodge vans and arrive on an island paradise! Safari Lodge provides the complete service, airport to airport, ensuring your Holiday plans go smoothly and you spend more time relaxing and enjoying your Holiday and not worrying about fine details! We offer a package including Airport Transfers, Island Transfers, Accommodation, Meal Package, Windsurfing Instruction & Equipment (optional).

We operate a very diverse range of Watersports, including Sea Kayaking, Fishing, Sailing - Big Cat and Hobie Cats, Snorkelling, Kitesurfing, Waterskiing, Wakeboarding...so at Safari Lodge we make sure you enjoy your holiday! We are not reliant on the wind for enjoyment, and have 10 boats to choose from...so come on...you won't be sitting on the beach waiting for wind if you book with Safari Lodge.

Safari Lodge also operates Ellington wharf - the main departure point for the island. Here, our Safari Lodge - Ellington Wharf Watersports Base offers a wide range of activities. This keeps the island clean and pristine!

The Safari Lodge provides entertainment, alcohol and a very social atmosphere.

Accommodation...
We have the following options for accommodation in 2008.
Safari Island Lodge - 1 Double Room + 2 * 4 bed dormitory
Mango Tree villas - 2 Double Rooms + 2 * 8 bed dormitory
Beachfront Bure - Queen + 2 singles
Ocean View Villa - 1 Queen + 1 Queen + 2 Singles
Please check out our Price Sheet for the different options.

We opened the Safari Island Lodge in April 2005 and the Ocean View Villa / Beachfront Bures opened in April 2006. The Mango Tree villas are brand new, opening in May 2008

Our Safari Island Lodge offers modern tiled amenities, in a unique tropical designed Villa. Hot water Showers are definately a luxury in this island Lodge, the only island operator offering this level of service. Tables, deck chairs, hammocks, hot showers and grassy areas for relaxation all await you!

The Beachfront bures floor is 2m off the ground providing cool breezes, and water views from your bed! A large balcony facing the water and self contained bathroom offers modern facilities.

The Ocean View Villa offers a Queen bed in the main room and a second Queen and king single in the second room. Self contained bathroom, kitchen / dining room and large decking provides a relaxing location with raised ocean views from the hill.

Please check out our Accommodation page with room photos / images.

Instruction...
For 2008 we have again offered our popular non-Instructional and Part Instructional (afternoon Instruction) Programs. Choose from the extensive date schedule what particular type of trip you are after and the dates to suit. Special discounts also now apply for long stay options and non-sailing partners - bring them along! We are also offering Instruction on a private hourly basis for the mornings (Part Instruction) and if available on non-instructional dates. Rates are $110/hour for private instruction, payable on top of the package price. Instruction is included from 2pm until 6pm daily for Part instructional trips on Sunday - Friday. Saturday is changeover day and non-instructional.

Warm trade winds...
As the map shows, the island provides a great deal of potential for sailboarding irrespective of the wind direction. The April - January period has been selected for the consistent warm trade winds.

You’ll enjoy the best of Fiji’s sun-drenched beaches, crystal clear waters, warm 15-30 knot sea breezes and personal instruction for all levels from Warren Francis and staff.

On-the-water tuition, goal setting and daily review sessions all ensure you receive as much or as little tuition as you would like.

jimbob SA
SA, 917 posts
6 May 2008 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Richiefish, WAKE UP, you are just dreaming.

Mobydisc
NSW, 8584 posts
6 May 2008 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

So Warren, what are some ballpark figures for a two week holiday for two to Fiji? One would be prepared to take windsurfing gear but if there is decent rental equipment available that would be a preferable option. The other is a beginner and if she can rent some beginners gear and get a lesson every now and then, that would be good.

Not sure of the accomodation option but something simple but clean for two would suffice.

Thanks

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
6 May 2008 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

About Fiji...what's the absolute rock bottom price for accommodation? Backpacker places, homestay, etc? Just for information purposes, mind.

Old Salty
VIC, 1264 posts
6 May 2008 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys

I did the Safari in Fiji with Warren Last May. First time at a windsurf resort so I have nothing to compare it to. I would guess that some of the other resorts would be better located for the night life but Warren's place has numerous backpackers through that make the night life interesting!! He is located on the tip of an island off the mainland of Fiji.
The water is warm, wind is constant - I arrived at the start of the trade wind season and was on the water everyday. I was there for 9 days - 5 where 20kts plus and 4 where less than 15 knots. He encourages you to bring your own equipment - I did not and used a Mistral 144l and NP 5.5 - 7.5 mtr sails which is similar to what I have at home.
Food was good high energy Fijian/Indian style food. Accommodation - various options from backpackers through to Beachfront Buri to units. Walked from the dining area onto grass, picked up gear and in the water. Total distance of 30 mtrs.
Instruction was great. Warren established goals for me at the start and we had full instruction on water(as much or little as I wanted) then a de brief over a beer at the end of the session. There was a coral reef at the front of his place so you had to watch the tide or walk/boat the gear out 100 mtrs or take it over the other side of the Island - 5 minute walk
The decision was made to go there was because I had a limited budget and I think I did everything including airfares for a little over A$2000.
Go back again? - damned right I would. I would go there now if I had the money.(Hey Warren - throw me a free week for this plug)
I also think SHQ in Melbourne are running organised trips to Warren's place with a full range of the latest gear.

JEZ
WA, 377 posts
6 May 2008 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

COCOS ISLANDS

cocos@2ndwind.com.au

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"windsurfing resorts" started by Richiefish