Forums > Windsurfing General

windsurfing resorts

Created by Richiefish > 9 months ago, 5 May 2008
fionzc
82 posts
6 May 2008 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Wet Willy said...
How the hell did you manage to spend USD$1000 in 8 days in Vietnam????

Accomodation at Mui Ne starts at $6 a night, but you will be much more comfortable paying $10-$12. Then again if you want to break the bank there's places which charge anything from $20 up to $200.

Someone I knew stayed in a place that cost USD$10/night and found bed bugs in his mattress. So not advisable! I stayed at Sunshine Beach resort at USD 36/night, twin sharing is very reasonable.

Airticket from singapore: USD 220
Sunglasses: USD 70
Vietnam Funcup Race: USD 70
Accomodation: USD 126
Loads of food, drinks, shopping etc...I came back with more than USD100 left.

I'm not as "thrifty" as you.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
6 May 2008 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Old Salty said...

Hey guys

I did the Safari in Fiji with Warren Last May. ....

Go back again? - damned right I would. I would go there now if I had the money...

I'd go there right now too! If I had the money...

Anyone interested in organising a massive bank job/jewellery heist/major art theft/etc, please contact me by Private Message.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
6 May 2008 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

fionzc said...

Wet Willy said...
How the hell did you manage to spend USD$1000 in 8 days in Vietnam????

Accomodation at Mui Ne starts at $6 a night, but you will be much more comfortable paying $10-$12. Then again if you want to break the bank there's places which charge anything from $20 up to $200.

Someone I knew stayed in a place that cost USD$10/night and found bed bugs in his mattress. So not advisable! I stayed at Sunshine Beach resort at USD 36/night, twin sharing is very reasonable.

Airticket from singapore: USD 220
Sunglasses: USD 70
Vietnam Funcup Race: USD 70
Accomodation: USD 126
Loads of food, drinks, shopping etc...I came back with more than USD100 left.

I'm not as "thrifty" as you.

Don't worry Fiona, NOBODY is as thrifty as me! Honestly, I stayed in several places, trying to find the ideal one, and they were ALL comfortable, spotlessly clean, and well-run. I would recommend all of them. Your friend who found the bedbugs must have been unlucky! And remember, $36 a night is a FORTUNE in Vietnam! You should get a royal suite at the Hilton for that! Do you get 3 times the value for 3 times the price? Maybe not! And if twin sharing at $36 a night is good, imagine twin sharing for $10 a night! You could stay forever!!

Let's look at your $1000 budget,... 220 + 70 + 70 + 126 = $486, and you came back with more than $100...you couldn't have spent more than $100 or so on food, so my guess is SHOPPING was your biggest expense! You're a Singapore girl, after all!

Going back next year?

Richiefish
QLD, 5469 posts
6 May 2008 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

This info is great. Thanks all...I like the sound of Wet Willy World, in Vietnam, but the idea is to escape the frigid QLD winter, so Fiji also sounds good. ( thats assuming the Vietnam season is the same as summer here???)

FormulaNova
NSW, 8892 posts
6 May 2008 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Wet Willy said...

About Fiji...what's the absolute rock bottom price for accommodation? Backpacker places, homestay, etc? Just for information purposes, mind.

The Morrisson's used to provide backpacker accomodation on the same island, although I am not sure they still do. You would have to see if you can find their details and enquire. I think the rates were pretty cheap, but you would need to organise your own meals and transport.

There are other places on the same island that would also provide accomodation.

Squid Lips
WA, 697 posts
6 May 2008 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

trebuchet said...

Can anyone recommend a resort somewhere in north Queensland (Whitsundays?) that provides decent rental kit?

I don't think there are any, which is unfortunate because you're almost guaranteed wind half the year. I went to Hamilton Island a couple of weeks ago and they only had beginner to intermediate kit. There was no wind when I was there so I didn't bother with it but they have a pile of Mistral Pacifico SUPs which were great fun. I have also heard they won't let you take the sailboards out in >15 knots

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
6 May 2008 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Richiefish said...

This info is great. Thanks all...I like the sound of Wet Willy World, in Vietnam, but the idea is to escape the frigid QLD winter, so Fiji also sounds good. ( thats assuming the Vietnam season is the same as summer here???)

Yeah, that's the problem. Vietnam is windy in the OZ summer. Last time I was in QLD was winter '07 and I froze my freaking @$$ off - eventually I had to bite the bullet and buy LONG PANTS, for God's sake! That's just not on!

See you in Fiji - provided the bank robbery goes as planned.

Richiefish
QLD, 5469 posts
6 May 2008 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Wet Willy said...

Richiefish said...

Yeah, that's the problem. Vietnam is windy in the OZ summer. Last time I was in QLD was winter '07 and I froze my freaking @$$ off - eventually I had to bite the bullet and buy LONG PANTS, for God's sake! That's just not on!

See you in Fiji - provided the bank robbery goes as planned.

Wear the Ronald Reagan mask !!!

jp747
1548 posts
6 May 2008 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Rabs said...

Hey JP.
I hired from the Mistral/F2/North Centre on Bulabog beach. This is the main windsurf and kite beach and is only a 15 min walk form the touristy white beach. There are 2 other windsurf centres on this beach as well - a JP/Pryde Centre and a smaller Korean centre. I found the F2/North Centre better as it's the bigger centre and at the right end of the beach. Taking gear is tricky from Oz as you have to get another 30min connecting flight from Manilla which adds to the stresses...
I stayed at reef retreat which is a dedicated kite/windsurf lodge right by the F2/North Centre on Bulabog beach. www.reefretreatboracay.com. The guy that runs it is called Matt and is an english windsurfer and the place was comfortable with everything you need. Email him at reef.retreat@hotmail.com as he will know the score with the hire centres as we are techincally out of the windy season now. I would have thought they'd still be open and you never need to book anything.

ok rabs that's marcuss' place then the guy with a little half step..next time you might want to try out Horst Lauer's place or the jp/pryde besides the north kite centre(winnie's place) he offers discounts on one week usage and not a hard person to bargain with. i'd say reefretreat is a bit steep but you get what you pay for pretty soon the resort 7stones will open and i can only guess every move you make costs $$$'s..i usually stay at laguna de boracay at the opposite end...am trying to check out cuyo islands if you can google it- small group of islands between Panay and Palawan..2 windsurfing expats moved over there from the madness of Bora and is dirt cheap not exploited and from friends i talked to really flat water and 4.5 weather mostly during season since it's right smack in the middle of nowhere takes only 8hrs. to get there by boat and there happily just 2 pension houses for now

RAL INN
VIC, 2741 posts
7 May 2008 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Wet Willy said...

Old Salty said...

Hey guys

Go back again? - damned right I would. I would go there now if I had the money...

I'd go there right now too! If I had the money...

Anyone interested in organising a massive bank job/jewellery heist/major art theft/etc, please contact me by Private Message.

www.kitebeaches.com/beach/nananu_i_ra.html

try this link, at the bottom of the page are 3 videos, sure their kiting ones but there is some shots of the windsurfers having a ball.
gives a great overview of the conditions and note the equipment rack.

Also take time to watch the reef run video, I'm doing that this year on a windsurfer.
5+ks of flat broad reach in 25-30kts. Heaven.

DavMen
NSW, 1458 posts
7 May 2008 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

RAL INN said...

Wet Willy said...

Old Salty said...

Hey guys

www.kitebeaches.com/beach/nananu_i_ra.html

try this link, at the bottom of the page are 3 videos, sure their kiting ones but there is some shots of the windsurfers having a ball.
gives a great overview of the conditions and note the equipment rack.

Also take time to watch the reef run video, I'm doing that this year on a windsurfer.
5+ks of flat broad reach in 25-30kts. Heaven.

Here is a link to some pic's from my trip to Fiji last year - appologies in advance for the small sailing shots.

members.optusnet.com.au/~dmenegoni/

Would be going back again this year except for work commitments - I'll have to make it for 2 weeks next year!
The kiting RAL INN video above really highlights the laid back non-sailing time.

RAL INN
VIC, 2741 posts
7 May 2008 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

the BBQ at the Sail rack was the site last year of a Candle and lamp light BBQ of the fish steaks from Celia's WAHU, and Geoff's Barracuda. fish steaks the size of a huge eye fillet
in Sheryl's special marinate.

Life is meant to be this good. I now have to salivate till August.

NotWal
QLD, 6944 posts
7 May 2008 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful Manly. Rose bay is delightful this time of year for light wind freestyle.

You live on a boat don't you Richie? I suppose a cruise up to the Whitsundays is out of the question?

Rabs
81 posts
7 May 2008 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Check out this website as it has useful travel tips for windsurfing holidays.

www.boardseekermag.com/travel_features/maui/maui_travel_feature-2.html

Its is a UK online windsurfing magasine which is quite useful seeing as we don't have a mag over here...

Richiefish
QLD, 5469 posts
7 May 2008 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

NotWal said...

Beautiful Manly. Rose bay is delightful this time of year for light wind freestyle.

You live on a boat don't you Richie? I suppose a cruise up to the Whitsundays is out of the question?

Sailing up the coast is also a serious option.A few logistical problems there, but it could happen. Last time I sailed to Keppel on a mates boat I took some gear. Problem is anchorages are in the lee of islands hence no wind.....

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
8 May 2008 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Richie, you live on a boat??? You da man!! Can you show us a photo?

Richiefish
QLD, 5469 posts
8 May 2008 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Wet Willy said...

there ya go. That shot is off Manly in Moreton Bay.

jp747
1548 posts
8 May 2008 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

here's a potential unexploited windsurf/kitesurfing spot i'll try to check out this weekend or next week depending on when the tropical storm hits our area...written by none other than an ozzie: tools4fools.info/Philippines/CuyoREPORT.html

Hendo
WA, 28 posts
9 May 2008 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

I've sailed at Nananu-i-ra (Fiji) and at the Cocos. I really enjoyed both a lot. I stayed at the Northern part of Nananu-i-ra where there was another backpackers place. It used to have a windsurfing set up too - but that was gone when we were there. Good place ot sail. It honked all week. I took a 5.5 and a 5.0 from home but the last day I couldn't sail it was so windy. The diving is also amazing and you can do both in one day easily. Problem is - esp if you are looking at DIY on this island - I don't know if this resort is still going. The Northern part ofthe island is supposed to be being developed as a Hilton - multimillion dollar time share etc. How do you wreck something perfect? Sigh.
I checked out Warren's palce while I was there and he has a really good set up and seems a top bloke. His area is shallower and tidal though so you have to go when the tides up. Bear in mind too that this is all flat water sailing. If you want waves they aren't here.
The Cocos is also phenomenal. I went with the Pelly Point guys years ago but I bet Jez also does a great job. It is a strange place - not in a bad way - but not at all a tourist destination. Stunning islands. Great diving. I was learning when I went there and very happy woth the flat water sailing - I know it is possible to wave sail as well but didn't try it!
The flight to Fiji from PErth was amazingly cheap ($520 return on a Virgin special) - plus - evidently they only count an additonal item of sporting equipment as 5kg of luggage. Flying to the Cocos wasn't cheap when I did it, but accomodation wasn't too bad.

gooey
NSW, 89 posts
9 May 2008 4:59AM
Thumbs Up

Jericoacoara info
flights from $2250 (aero linhas) fly to Sao Paulo Brazil, then you need to get a domestic flight to Fortaleza (Tam or Goal) from around $400 one way. Next is the transfer Jericoacoara (4wd or bus) from around $60 one way. After after 32 hours you have arrived.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2237 posts
9 May 2008 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Richiefish said...

Wet Willy said...

there ya go. That shot is off Manly in Moreton Bay.

Sweet!

Say, are you looking for a flatmate??

Warren Francis
NSW, 194 posts
9 May 2008 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Hendo

A lot has changed on the island recently..... I have been here for the past 18 years...

Nananu Lodge closed in March 2007, where you stayed. The big resort on the island (on my boundary) and where i stayed for the first 10 years also closed last November. Both these properties were bought by a Property developer from NZ. Not much has happened in respect to any progress with their development on the ground, apart from closing those two properties...so no changes yet..whew!.

Safari Lodge is on the windy beach and the safe beach, as it has a cross on-shore Wind direction. We have NEVER done a rescue in over 18 years of operation..not bad!!

We have also just opened anoter 20 beds bringing our total to 40 beds, in a variety of accommodation, from the original 3 year old Lodge, Beachfront Bure, Ocean View Villa, Mango Tree villa and funky Mango Tree Villa. The Mango Tree Villas are spoecifically for clients wanting to experience the simple life...share rooms and private rooms, but with a view to die for!! Wake up, roll over and check out the howling wind!

I'm not surprised your 5.0 was too big..i have a 4.2m rigged, actually i have 3.3m through to 7.0 rigged for guests, but often love a ride on the 4.2m

Our winds are between 15-25+ knots....so get ready for some FANTASTIC conditions!

Fiji is a lot warmer and windier than Sydney where i am from....during those winter months...

If you want Professional Windsurfing Instruction, it is available every day and specific Part Instruction (afternoon sessions) dedicated weeks are also available..come on over and improve your skills....

email me warren@safarilodge.com.fj or PM me if you have any queries..

Rgds

Warren Francis

Hendo
WA, 28 posts
9 May 2008 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the update Warren,

I must say I did think that if nothing else good comes out of the most recent of Fiji's ongoing coups at least it might put off the property developers...
I dropped the devlopers a line to see what they were planning last year or the year before. Pretty OTT. No cheap windsurfing at that place! Such a shame.
I know what you mean about the sailing from the northern beach - a bit dodgy if the wind drops. It doesn't seem to do that much though!
Good luck with your place. I'd like to get back sometime.

AusMoz
QLD, 1081 posts
10 May 2008 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

I just got back from Fiji

Stayed at the pearl south pacific hotel, i did not expect to find much windsurfing equipment at the resort but they did have some gear. 2 x Naish Titans, 110 litre and a 141 litre with Naish sprint sails. The equipment was in good nic and they are looking at getting more equipment from what they said to me. The resort is about 2 1/2 hours south of Nadi. The first day there was about 15-20 knots SE which is perfect for flatwater. I wish there was a 7.5 sail there because it would of been perfect blasting.

Plenty of other stuff to do there when no wind - white water rafting, zip lining, reef snorkling and Frigates reef is directly 12 miles out for the surfers. There is a back packers not far from the hotel for eye candy for the singles!

GC MOZ

AusMoz
QLD, 1081 posts
10 May 2008 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

My next trip to Fiji i would be looking at the Safari lodge to get away from the mainland of Indian taxi drivers and reckless drivers.

Cheer Cheer
NSW, 36 posts
12 May 2008 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like alot of guys have been to Fiji for good flatwater sailing. Does anyone know where to go wavesailing in Fiji either on the mainland or one of the islands (apart from Namotu which is out of my pricerange)? Preferably somewhere with a resort for the rest of the family. Any decent wavesailing down at the Coral Coast which is easily accessable?

Any info greatly appreciated.

windguru
WA, 10 posts
18 May 2008 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

hi cheer cheer,
go stay at walu beach resort. its pretty cheap, and theres heaps of activities for the family to do. plus you can really piss the surfers off by jumping in a boat with them, and going out to namotu and then windsurfing it. i did that a while ago and had a great time. sailed for a week straight with a 4.7m and 72L wave board. forget about the safari lodge deal. the gear is rubbish, the accomadation is below par and theres a fair amount of BS talked by the owner. Winds are pretty inconsistent at nananu-i-ra. would also highly reccommend vietnam for the other part of the year. that place rocks!

matth
VIC, 55 posts
18 May 2008 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys,

Check out the Neilson holidays

www.neilson.co.uk/Beach-Greece-Vassiliki-At-a-Glance.aspx

This resort is in Greece, 499 pounds for two weeks, which is only about $1000 at the mo, includes return transfers to the UK.

So all you need is airfares to get to the UK!! My wifes been on one a few years ago and said it was awesome. Her Sister and family go every May. Warm, windy, and every type of sail and board you could want to use!!

Think we'll be flying to the Uk next year to visit the family, and come home via Greece!!

Bertie
WA, 1297 posts
18 May 2008 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

www.surfclubkeros.gr/

if Greece is your kinda thing check out the link above. Some you you WA crew might remember Rick the greek. wee he and his crazy mates have started up their own windsurfing resort.
I spend over a week hanging out in greece with the boys who are running the school last year and i had an absolute blast. They also have picked the windiest spot in the greek islands aswell.
check it out!

yamigee
WA, 20 posts
18 May 2008 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know if there is any decent windsurfing spots in PNG?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"windsurfing resorts" started by Richiefish