Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Augusta?

Created by Stretchy > 9 months ago, 13 Oct 2014
Stretchy
WA, 916 posts
13 Oct 2014 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone sailed there lately? I used to (10yrs ago) have some great sails down there when it was blowing SEly in Bunbury. Dead flat water and strong wind. Then the sand bar grew until it was only good for kiters.
What's it like now?

azymuth
WA, 1975 posts
14 Oct 2014 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Head for the river mouth for the best speed runs.
The sand hills are a couple of metres high so the wind is gusty in the lee, just sail more in the middle of the river to get cleaner wind. Plenty of water depth.

A fun spot - clear water and white sand.

A few of us managed 35 to 40 knot runs last year. Worth the trip.

Stretchy
WA, 916 posts
14 Oct 2014 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
azymuth said..
Head for the river mouth for the best speed runs.
The sand hills are a couple of metres high so the wind is gusty in the lee, just sail more in the middle of the river to get cleaner wind. Plenty of water depth.

A fun spot - clear water and white sand.

A few of us managed 35 to 40 knot runs last year. Worth the trip.

Thanks for the response. THats where I used to sail, but the last time I tried to sail there the sand had built up so much it was virtually unsailable. Sounds like it might have improved a bit. I'll give it another shot over summer

Windxtasy
WA, 4013 posts
15 Oct 2014 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

I sailed there late summer this year.
It was gusty but still worthwhile.
The river mouth had been cut through at the western end.
I am told right up at the eastern end is the best spot for speed runs but I didn't get up that far.

paddymac
WA, 936 posts
15 Oct 2014 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Sailed there a couple of times about three years ago. Very friendly locals. The height of the sand dunes around the launch area made the wind quite gusty but the pay off is that the water is VERY flat. The kites were having a great time at the eastern end but it was too shallow while I was there for my 32cm fin. Well worth a look!

Stretchy
WA, 916 posts
16 Oct 2014 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

This Sunday looks like it will be ideal for Augusta. unfortunately no leave pass

Stretchy
WA, 916 posts
19 Oct 2014 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stretchy said..
This Sunday looks like it will be ideal for Augusta. unfortunately no leave pass

Well I did get there today. The verdict - rubbish! Sandbanks are still way too high, I found it pretty much unsailable. Pity, used to be a terrific spot

decrepit
WA, 11887 posts
19 Oct 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Bugger! we were counting on you guys for a good post, we got totally skunked here.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Augusta?" started by Stretchy