Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Burrum Heads photos and video

Created by knot board > 9 months ago, 30 Dec 2007
knot board
QLD, 1241 posts
30 Dec 2007 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

It's been a great past few days at Burrum Heads, with the low pressure system hanging of the coast we have been scoring some strong South Easterlies.
The Brissy Boys came up to play and we saw some great sailing.
Bump and Jump at high tide with Julian from France performing all manner of impressive twirling spinning things. Speed runs on Saturday afternoon at low tide were great fun. For me the first time I strapped on a GPS was a new experience, quite addictive really.

I was worn out on Sunday morning but I hear Vando and Pierre pushed the limits and set a new queensland record!

Plenty of broken gear over the weekend. Vando broke both arms of a Boom and his mast in a crash while drag racing with Geoff. Later the same day he tore the fin off his board on hidden rocks and was lucky not to do serious injury coming to a sudden stop in inched of water. I had a nice stack which tore the spreader bar clean off my harness.

It was great to sailing with different crew, I hope you enjoyed yourselves and will be back soon.

Here's some pics and video from Saturday afternoon.

Here's Vando:

Here's footage of my first ever speed run.
Pretty happy to get 28.1kn on my wave gear.

Here's Pierre:

Here's a pic of the crew:
Rip-in-gale, Vando, knot board, Geoff and Hooray watching Pierre approach on a hot run. Peter is standing guard on the rocks to warn of hidden dangers
Here's a pic of the crew:
Rip-in-gale, Vando, knot board, Geoff and Hooray watching Pierre approach on a hot run. Peter is standing guard on the rocks to warn of hidden dangers

Here's local grand-master Geoff on a run

This photo shows Vando nervously looking for those bloody rocks which torn off his fin a on previous run.

Man mountain Pierre on an other hot run

Me sailing home after the wind dropped out.

Mrs Knot Board (what more can I say)

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
30 Dec 2007 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hay Knotty :last photo, harness lines too close to boom, ya need to fixemup
Great speed shots, well done on you 28+ on wave gear.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
30 Dec 2007 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Nice stuff knotboard.
in one off those pics a guy is standing on that bloody rock i hit.

here are some of my tracks from google.

That line is 3.5km long shame the tides were so late to get some more runs.
You can see my 2 fastest runs bearing off

elmo
WA, 8659 posts
31 Dec 2007 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Great work guys, looked a good session

knot board
QLD, 1241 posts
31 Dec 2007 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

I've sailed so much this week that I fell asleep last night gripping the bedhead like a boom.
This morning while walking home from the shop I felt a lull in the wind and started pumping the newspaper

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
31 Dec 2007 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Just wanted to give a special mention to Ray and Gale for there hospitality.
Its was a great weekend. Hope ya feeling better Ray.
Great to meet the locals up there too, you guys have a great spot up there im jealous.

ta Vando

porkchop
QLD, 46 posts
31 Dec 2007 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Kind of remember a young fella at Sandy Point saying as soon as someone breaks 40knots at Burrum he would be there. Think he is quite high on the rankings and possibly from WA. It's a long way to travel but at least the accomodation and transfers from the Hervey Bay Airport are free when you get here. It's best when the southerlies are in which is generally from xmas to May. Tides are better latter in the week so if the wind hangs in there I will be out there again hopefully before the wind dies. Still sad I missed the sail with the Brisvagas guys on Saturday..

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
31 Dec 2007 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

knot board said...

This morning while walking home from the shop I felt a lull in the wind and started pumping the newspaper

So true

After my first day speedsailing at Vicky Point, as I drove home every time the car accelerated I felt my back hand sheeting in

Rip In Gale
QLD, 36 posts
1 Jan 2008 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome at Burrum.

Am back home now and have uploaded the best of my photos from the speed session on Saturday afternoon.

The Strip:

Vando:

Knot Board:

Pierre:

Geoff:

Vando's Unfortunate Accident

Have quite a few more photos and can provide higher res images if people want them.

Good Sailing,

Rip.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
1 Jan 2008 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

See those smiles thats what it's all about.
nice pics owen nice to catch up.
ta vando

snides8
WA, 1729 posts
1 Jan 2008 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

great pics guys ! what an awesome looking spot! i think we would kill for something like that here.
Vando what sort of weight kg's are you and Pierre using?

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
2 Jan 2008 1:01AM
Thumbs Up

snides8 said...

great pics guys ! what an awesome looking spot! i think we would kill for something like that here.
Vando what sort of weight kg's are you and Pierre using?
Snides on the Sat i wasnt carrying any lead. Sun i was using about 3.5kg but prob should have had more being a tight coarse and having a 6.5 up.
Pierre i beleave was carrying weight both days not sure how much.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
2 Jan 2008 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

If your tryin to wet our appetites your doin a bleedin gr8 job

snides8
WA, 1729 posts
2 Jan 2008 12:30AM
Thumbs Up

cheers Vando,the shot of the finless boards a good one what sort of fin was it?
a couple of us guys at hardies have hit rocks but the weedys tend to bounce over a little easier,although the ones i have made have cracked the head moulding which isnt so bad as an hour of work can fix it. i would rather do that than rip the tail of the small board like the ca 44...
one more thing can you tell me where you got your weight vests or are they K.a. jobs.

cheers snides

pierre
QLD, 166 posts
2 Jan 2008 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Hey snides i just read you were interested how many kgs i had on , i still havent weighed how much it is but roughly i would say 5 to 6 kg maybe a bit more when wet.
But i reakon with the wind strength that we had most probably i didnt really need one or maybe a few kgs as the wind wasnt full on , but this has really opened my eye for square course speeding there are some of things you'll change to adapt to these kind of courses and thats whats makes it interesting and i rekon its more chaotic then doing down wind runs but then again both are good.

Good stuff knot board n rip n gale they are great pics.
Rip n gale if you have more pics i would like to see them thanks buddy

We got the vests from a guy named Al Green and his internet site is www.caloundracitysailboards.com.au or phone no -07 54380242.

knot board
QLD, 1241 posts
2 Jan 2008 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Just for the record Pierre, what max speeds did you and Vando get for the weekend?

pierre
QLD, 166 posts
2 Jan 2008 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Vando got 40.2 kts bearing off the wind and i got 38.05 staying tight along the course , pretty good day for both of us.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Burrum Heads photos and video" started by knot board