Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Does wearing a gps improve your windsurfing?

Created by Dan133 > 9 months ago, 2 Oct 2013
Dan133
29 posts
2 Oct 2013 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

For my opinion, I would have to say yes. I started wearing a gps 6 years ago. It took me 6 months to get 30knots for a 2 second peak. I watched others on the speed sites just cream my speeds. Often though to myself "Really" but now with persistence after 6 years, I've increased my speeds to just under 40knots. That's an increase of over 30% in speed. 40knots plus in now just in reach and I'm confident I will get it. All thanks to my gps. And with the alpha also a goal now, improved gybing is on the cards. Do you agree?
Got to love the age we live in!!!

AusMoz
QLD, 926 posts
2 Oct 2013 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

NO!!!

I enjoyed it more before I got the GPS. Just rather get out and sail and not worry looking at the GPS. Find it hard to not look at it after each run!!!

PhilSWR
NSW, 1102 posts
2 Oct 2013 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

I say "yes". I'm sill a gumby with 20 months total time wimdsurfing. Half that time with a gps. Top speeds have increased to over 30 knts (just...) and a quest for 20knt alphas and decent kays per outing has helped gybes big time, and improved stamina. Still pne of the slowest in the team, but slowly building in all regards. ps-gps is fun, but some days i want to whack it with a hammer.

Windsurfunstu
NSW, 176 posts
2 Oct 2013 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Yes!!!

I've only had mine for a few month and its given me loads of motivation to get out there a improve. It was a PB party almost every time I hit the water for a while but now I need to work for it which is making me pay a lot more attention to my technique, tuning, etc. Loving it!

vando
QLD, 3379 posts
2 Oct 2013 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yes it improves your speeds off the wind and helps with tuning but for general sailing i would say no.

keef
NSW, 1992 posts
2 Oct 2013 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
goldcoastmoz said..

NO!!!

I enjoyed it more before I got the GPS. Just rather get out and sail and not worry looking at the GPS. Find it hard to not look at it after each run!!!

goldcoastmoz I hear what your saying , it's dam frustrating trying to improve if you have a gps and your not improving, I too would rather not wear a gps and just think i'm getting better I have meet soooo many guys through the gps team challenge and heaps of guys I have yet to meet, the buzz I get with speed sailing is the socializing on the water and carpark chat ,sometimes it's not easy getting out on the water , ohh not to mention the light hearted sh-t stirring in these forums
goldcoastmoz if your ever heading down this way send me a PM an i'll show you some southern hospitality

decrepit
WA, 8563 posts
2 Oct 2013 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not sure how much the GPS has affected my ability, but what it does do is let me know what my ability is, without it you're just floundering in the dark. Don't wear it wave sailing though, it's meaningless there.

sailquik
VIC, 4001 posts
3 Oct 2013 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Yes, but more importantly it has improved my enjoyment of the the total windsurfing experience immeasurably!

GPSTC, GPSSS, Speed Fortnight, Lake George trips, new friends all over Australia and all over the world! etc, etc.

Windxtasy
WA, 3807 posts
3 Oct 2013 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Yes, because it makes you push yourself to reach new goals. You train and practice and push your limits instead of just going for a sail.
Sometimes wearing the GPS can be disappointing, when you feel like you've gone really fast and then see you haven't, but conversely, the fastest runs are often so smooth they don't actually feel all that fast, and you get a real buzz when you look at your GPS.
As Sailquick said, the sense of community from being part of the GPSTC is the best part.

hardie
WA, 3927 posts
3 Oct 2013 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

DEfinitely Yes, however as with everything there is a cost side, and that can come from taking away some of the enjoyment of windsurfing, particlarly if you get obsessed with numbers , I know I've had some exhilerating speed runs, felt total ecstacy, then looked down at my gps and been disappointed because it wasnt the speed I wanted or expected, so thats the TRAP/DOWNSIDE!!

MudSkipper80
17 posts
3 Oct 2013 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

I dont know if its improved my windsurfing, it just gives me new goals to aim for. Probably the one thing that improved my sailing was racing, above and beyond anything else a little healthy competition really allows you to focus on your weaknesses and try to improve them. But I do love the challenge of trying to get to 40kts now.

DanP
VIC, 286 posts
3 Oct 2013 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

I'm with Vando on this. For general sailing i'd say no. So many people have the GPS twitch thing going on. Finish a run, pull up and twitch to check how fast they went, spin gear around and then repeat x 20 (or more). Down these parts in Inverloch its called the Invy Step Gybe.

There's some local juniors down here that i'm going to try and get sailing without their GPS's for a few months to encourage them to start gybing!!

People (myself included) need to resist the temptation to check it every run, just sail a normal session and check results later. On the flip side, if its blowing 30+ at the PiT then there's only one reason you're there - SPEED

AusMoz
QLD, 926 posts
3 Oct 2013 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
keef said..

goldcoastmoz said..

NO!!!

goldcoastmoz I hear what your saying , it's dam frustrating trying to improve if you have a gps and your not improving, I too would rather not wear a gps and just think i'm getting better I have meet soooo many guys through the gps team challenge and heaps of guys I have yet to meet, the buzz I get with speed sailing is the socializing on the water and carpark chat ,sometimes it's not easy getting out on the water , ohh not to mention the light hearted sh-t stirring in these forums
goldcoastmoz if your ever heading down this way send me a PM an i'll show you some southern hospitality

Met great bunch of people through speed sailing, in fact the best bunch since I been sailing since 1989. I say all the speed sailors are a real good bunch.

Look forward to going down south to sail ASAP. At Coffs Harbour for 1 week at the moment with no gear and 20knots blowing!

hardpole
WA, 478 posts
3 Oct 2013 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DanP said..

I'm with Vando on this. For general sailing i'd say no. So many people have the GPS twitch thing going on. Finish a run, pull up and twitch to check how fast they went, spin gear around and then repeat x 20 (or more). Down these parts in Inverloch its called the Invy Step Gybe.

There's some local juniors down here that i'm going to try and get sailing without their GPS's for a few months to encourage them to start gybing!!

People (myself included) need to resist the temptation to check it every run, just sail a normal session and check results later. On the flip side, if its blowing 30+ at the PiT then there's only one reason you're there - SPEED

Age helps with that, I cant' easily read it without my glasses so there is no point looking until back in the car park !

I dont know about it improving your sailing but in my case it certainly made me purchase a lot more gear

powersloshin
NSW, 915 posts
3 Oct 2013 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Your tracks will become more precious with age
I like to put all the stats in a spreadsheet and add the google earth picture. Adds more fun during no wind periods: you can look back at your progress, or check your sail/board/fin combinations, most used sails etc.etc.

keef
NSW, 1992 posts
3 Oct 2013 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

goldcoastmoz we have a bunch of people coming up from inverloch (southerly busters )to sanctuary point for a week as from the November 1st, a great bunch and im looking forward to catching up , what I like about the gps team challenge is you can meet and sail with theses guys as well as keep in touch through out the season, as well as watching them improve through the 6 categories

keef
NSW, 1992 posts
3 Oct 2013 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
goldcoastmoz said..

At Coffs Harbour for 1 week at the moment with no gear and 20knots blowing!

you've got no gear, well sort that out I've got two of everything even a spare gps

AusMoz
QLD, 926 posts
3 Oct 2013 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

The guys I've met at Burrum Heads Speed Challenge are a great bunch and always willing to help out(and they have)!

I would never throw the GPS away! If anything the sailors have inspired me to get better at sailing just I don't get enough time on the water.

Only in Coffs for 1 week before I make my new base at the sunshine coast and hopefully contribute to the Sunshine Coast Vikings Team!

thanks for the offer but work interferes with my sailing too much!

petermac33
WA, 4480 posts
4 Oct 2013 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

GPS has killed much of the racing on the river for sure. Most of the guys including slow boat now just sail upwind to then sail crazy angle off the wind,wtf. They are a ever present danger and like kitesurfers should be confined to their own little patch.

Sailing across the wind in a local drag race is much more fun.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6226 posts
4 Oct 2013 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windxtasy said..

Yes, because it makes you push yourself to reach new goals. You train and practice and push your limits instead of just going for a sail.
Sometimes wearing the GPS can be disappointing, when you feel like you've gone really fast and then see you haven't, but conversely, the fastest runs are often so smooth they don't actually feel all that fast, and you get a real buzz when you look at your GPS.
As Sailquick said, the sense of community from being part of the GPSTC is the best part.

+ 1
I used to mainly sail upwind and not bear off much I'm now pushing myself to get off the wind more + use a larger sail to be powered up + get better alphas.I've only been doing it since June and 30kts is still a way away but I'm enjoying it + the talk after on the speedteam site. It's great to see who else got out and what conditions they had etc.
I think I will find it more frustrating when I sail in chop more in summer as the speeds will be lower.
I even find it interesting in those crappy days as I am still finding out planing thresholds etc..Boy it take a long time to get any miles doing 4kts..
I also love the fact that I have a record of each session with photos and google earth overlay if I want.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6226 posts
4 Oct 2013 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hardpole said..

DanP said..

Age helps with that, I cant' easily read it without my glasses so there is no point looking until back in the car park !

I dont know about it improving your sailing but in my case it certainly made me purchase a lot more gear

Likewise very frustrating! My polaroids are only single lens and I need multi ( too cheap to get them ...I will next time!)

Kazza
TAS, 2161 posts
4 Oct 2013 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Definitely, but my upper body has got bigger from holding onto big slalom sails (my t.shirts are a little tighter now). Jumping practice as suffered, don't like jumping expensive slalom boards & rigs. Tendonitis in the hip flexors from loading up the quads in down wind blasts and going for distance. So all in all I've found it has improved the sailing (more courageous flying downwind) but is hard on the body because you tend not to listen to the bod as much as to time to get out and your always going for it.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6226 posts
4 Oct 2013 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazza said..

Definitely, but my upper body has got bigger from holding onto big slalom sails (my t.shirts are a little tighter now). Jumping practice as suffered, don't like jumping expensive slalom boards & rigs. Tendonitis in the hip flexors from loading up the quads in down wind blasts and going for distance. So all in all I've found it has improved the sailing (more courageous flying downwind) but is hard on the body because you tend not to listen to the bod as much as to time to get out and your always going for it.

I must be doing something wrong as I don't get sore legs and everyone else says their legs get cramps or something.. Probably not good enough and not doing long enough bear offs yet.

Kazza
TAS, 2161 posts
4 Oct 2013 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Or you've got legs that can take the punishment well My legs have had a lot of punishment over the years with other sports as well so they're probably just worn out.

Windxtasy
WA, 3807 posts
4 Oct 2013 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..

Kazza said..

I must be doing something wrong as I don't get sore legs and everyone else says their legs get cramps or something.. Probably not good enough and not doing long enough bear offs yet.

I just get sore all over!

Kazza
TAS, 2161 posts
4 Oct 2013 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windxtasy said..

sboardcrazy said..

Kazza said..

And don't ya feel like you've had a fab session when you feel like that, then you have the best nights sleep
I find nm's the hardest on the back leg quads, they are burning like mad towards the end

Windxtasy
WA, 3807 posts
4 Oct 2013 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazza said..

Windxtasy said..

sboardcrazy said..

Kazza said..

And don't ya feel like you've had a fab session when you feel like that, then you have the best nights sleep
Yes I feel like I've had a fab session but I sleep very badly because I'm hurting so much . My muscles don't know how to relax and stay really tight.
I find nm's the hardest on the back leg quads, they are burning like mad towards the end

The really fast nm's aren't too bad because they don't last so long! I find myself thinking "Am I there already? That didn't take long!"

Kazza
TAS, 2161 posts
4 Oct 2013 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

The really fast nm's aren't too bad because they don't last so long! I find myself thinking "Am I there already? That didn't take long!"

Hmmmm haven't had one of those yet!

kato
VIC, 2244 posts
4 Oct 2013 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petermac33 said..

GPS has killed much of the racing on the river for sure. Most of the guys including slow boat now just sail upwind to then sail crazy angle off the wind,wtf. They are a ever present danger and like kitesurfers should be confined to their own little patch.

Sailing across the wind in a local drag race is much more fun.

Is this a piss take

Obelix
WA, 808 posts
4 Oct 2013 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Improved same aspects, neglected others.
So after 3 years, in my 4th season, back to basics. Learn to gybe properly.
If I hadn't started with the GPS, I would have learnt how to gybe long time ago.
But had so much fun in the meantime

Windxtasy
WA, 3807 posts
4 Oct 2013 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..

Improved same aspects, neglected others.
So after 3 years, in my 4th season, back to basics. Learn to gybe properly.
If I hadn't started with the GPS, I would have learnt how to gybe long time ago.
But had so much fun in the meantime

I have done MORE work on the gybes because of the GPS. It is the area I most need to improve in.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Does wearing a gps improve your windsurfing?" started by Dan133