Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Feedback to Locosys re the unreliability of GW52

Created by John340 > 9 months ago, 12 Aug 2016
John340
QLD, 3046 posts
12 Aug 2016 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

While the GW52 is an accurate tool for GPS sailing, a number of its key operational functions are unreliable.

I recall that prior to the GW52 becoming available for sale on the market, Locosys provided a handful of units for testing by selected GPSTC sailors.

What feedback was provided by these sailors to Locosys regarding the performance of the unit? Did that feedback include the 2 persistent problems noted in this forum of:
1. Unreliability of the touch response screen controls and
2. Difficulty to connect to a Coms port.

If so, what response did Locosys provide?

I acknowledge that individuals can and should provide feedback to Locosys regarding the performance of the unit, however this feedback would not have the influence of a joint response of the main user group of the unit.

tilldark
QLD, 275 posts
12 Aug 2016 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Like it John

I've seen first hand some of the issues maybe its time we crowd fund something? Theres no reason we couldn't assist Lycosys in their R&D with this money? We'd all win? I think that the current GW52 offers great features but perhaps needs more production polish, many would be satisfied simply with a more reliable touch interface. perhaps we aren't far of but need to assist the manufacturer?

decrepit
WA, 11828 posts
12 Aug 2016 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

I think most of us commented on the insensitive touch screens, the lack of battery, and memory. But I'm not sure about the connection thing, I didn't have any problem with mine until a couple of months ago, when I sent the unit back for them to inspect.

Certainly Daffy and I both complained about the windows connection only thing.

The typical response from locosys is to give us what they can with out too much trouble, ie they changed the speed genie to give history max, and made the scroll rate adjustable. But about the insensitive screen they made no comment that I'm aware of. I've heard nothing back about my test unit, but I did have a go at it myself unsuccessfully, so that may have reduced it's usefulness to them for diagnoses.

kato
VIC, 3340 posts
12 Aug 2016 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Yes feedback was provided but we are a very very small market. I suspect that the GT 32 was made for a different market and when it was superseded by a competitor they repackaged it for our sport. There is hope that there will be something soon that will meet all our needs

Cocky2
QLD, 190 posts
14 Aug 2016 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

The first time I used a GW52 the touchscreen was an issue. The connection was always going to be an issue. Agree with your comments John. The best product I have found to use is the Garmin 920XT. It is more accurate than a Canmore and slower than a GW52.

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
15 Aug 2016 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

I too gave feedback about the touch screen being sometimes difficult to activate. There was no reply for Locosys to this comment.

I have since found that if I am more careful about where I touch the screen and USE A LIGHT TOUCH, it works perfectly first time almost every time. Getting frustrated when it does not work and simply pushing harder does NOT help!

I didn't have any issues at all with the usb connection port with the Sample. I have since found a couple of USB cables that don't work too well. It seems like they are too loose in the socket. I threw them away and have had no more issues.

BTW. The issues being discussed are not what I would call Unreliability issues, they are user interface issues. The 2 GW-52 GPS's I have have been 100% reliable for me.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Feedback to Locosys re the unreliability of GW52" started by John340