Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Movie - Ghosts of Speed

Created by jamesf > 9 months ago, 4 Jun 2014
jamesf
NSW, 988 posts
4 Jun 2014 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

For those that haven't already seen it, I wanted to share a short review of the GPS/Speedsailing movie "Ghosts of Speed". I downloaded it last year, but then only came back to it recently when I watched it with mates from my GPSTC team.

Released in late 2012, and set in the Netherlands, its an engrossing story about chasing perfect speedsailing conditions.

It covers a few different locations, including The Brace and Da Curve. The scene of sailing at the Brace (where they have walk across a NM of mud to get to the water) is incredible. Apparently the day they filmed it Jurjen van der Noord broke 50 kts there, with a 48.8 10 sec run together with Hans Kriesel.

Da Curve is also amazing - the guys take a boat to the middle of a bay, then start rigging up in ankle deep water. As the tide flows out a sweet sand bank appears, and away they go! Within a few hours, they are back derigging before the tide covers the sand bank and they head home.

Some of my favourite quotes:

"You'll never see a speedsurfer from the shore. Their quest for speed takes them to places where the water is flatter, and the wind is stronger."

"Where most people just see a sandbar, the speedsailors instead see an opportunity".

The music, which was specially put together for the movie, can seem initially a bit "euro" but it grows on you and after a while you will find yourself cranking it up and getting fired up for the next speed session. Don't watch it right before you go to bed!

To summarise, its a film that every GPS sailor should see. I think you can maybe buy it on DVD with shipping from Europe, but the best option is to do a digital download from Reelhouse. $13USD is a bargain especially compared to a normal windsurfing DVD (around $50).

Note that the download is 440MB (standard def) or 1GB (High Def) so bear that in mind if you have a small internet download limit.

Here is the link to the download:

https://www.reelhouse.org/angelopecere/ghostsspeed

jamesf
NSW, 988 posts
4 Jun 2014 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Just found the session on GPSTC from The Brace:

gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2012-06-08&team=67

Also Jurjen's session:

www.gps-speedsurfing.com/default.aspx?mnu=user&val=99340&uid=1438

ka43
NSW, 3063 posts
4 Jun 2014 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Great stuff James, very enjoyable.

Windxtasy
WA, 4013 posts
5 Jun 2014 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that review. Sounds interesting. How long is the DVD?

firiebob
WA, 3131 posts
5 Jun 2014 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Anita, I couldn't help myself so did the download last night. Main video Ghost of speed is 41min long and a couple of others, sail tuning 12min and a 2min on GPS record or something. I haven't watched any of it yet, $14 Aus.

Yetti
SA, 253 posts
5 Jun 2014 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yep downloaded it as well, quite entertaining, loved watching it. thanks for the heads up

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Movie - Ghosts of Speed" started by jamesf