Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Sandy Point Trip 1989 ( I think )

Created by aussieboats > 9 months ago, 28 Mar 2016
aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
28 Mar 2016 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

It was the Year Mal Wright did 43 knots The wind was over 65 knots ,

The Jimmy Lewis Speed board i purchased from Ian Fox, later destroyed in our Sailboard shop fire

I think there where over 200 speed sailors entered , the line up for a run was very long and slow

Sailing 5m neilpryde and bic allegro speed board

Phil Snell , my travelling buddy

Ian Fox

Beach Cricket

One of the locals

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
28 Mar 2016 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Mark, was that Jimmy Lewis board the one with the deep double concaves?

Third pic. #20 = Me!

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
28 Mar 2016 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

i think it was a single concave , its the board they set the American speed record on , it was a lovely looking thing wish i still had it

Ezric
NSW, 183 posts
28 Mar 2016 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for posting all those pics. Brings back so many memories of the style of the time, gear, etc. I remember being so disappointed as I wanted to attend this event but I was a 1st year apprentice and had buckley's chance. So many people there and to score the wind, amazing event! Gorgeous looking board.

N1GEL
NSW, 861 posts
28 Mar 2016 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Great photos Mark. Takes me back to yesteryear.

Question... I know deck shapes have changed a lot since then, but has the bottom shape of speed boards changed much? If so, what aspect?

mathew
QLD, 2027 posts
28 Mar 2016 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
Mark, was that Jimmy Lewis board the one with the deep double concaves?

Third pic. #20 = Me!

Long-haired lout.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
28 Mar 2016 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

wow the pit looked amazing back then

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
28 Mar 2016 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

You can see the surf in the back ground over the sand dunes , i dont think you can see the ocean these days

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
28 Mar 2016 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aussieboats said..
You can see the surf in the back ground over the sand dunes , i dont think you can see the ocean these days

Well, it depends where you stand and how high the tide is, but I don't think you would see it from that spot where they are lined up, thats for sure.

BTW, that was the light wind day!!!!

Piv
WA, 372 posts
28 Mar 2016 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

I was there the day after Mal broke the record. I still remember him cruising around no hands and passing everyone!! It was an awesome place. That record day was the windiest I ever sailed. I wasn't at the point but on a dodgy lake in altona. Melbourne airport recorded 56 knots. Sandy point would have been epic.

Windxtasy
WA, 4013 posts
29 Mar 2016 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

It must have been quite something to be a part of the sport in its hey day - when everyone was windsurfing and there were shops everywhere.
How does the atmosphere compare in 2016? Does a smaller group make for a more close knit community?

ka43
NSW, 3063 posts
29 Mar 2016 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Was there that year too. Lots of familiar faces in there, some even still sailing today.
Al Gleeson, John Warner, Ian Barnard, Brian Gee, Graeme Ball and even the legendary Noddy. Recognised a "NSW Speed Sailing Association" shirt in there too.
A great time to be a windsurfer.
Daffy's pony tail/long hair in evidence too

AusMoz
QLD, 1403 posts
29 Mar 2016 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Dug out some Freesail Magazines a few weeks ago from 89, 90 & 91. It covers the Sandy Point event well and some great pics and some familiar names! This place has been on my bucket list for a long time!!!!

Piv
WA, 372 posts
29 Mar 2016 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

I found a few pictures of what I think is the same time. The day after mal's record

Piv
WA, 372 posts
29 Mar 2016 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Mmmm. So Mal wasn't sailing upside down even though it was no hands. Will try to sort out. Should I post some more?

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
30 Mar 2016 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Post more photos ,

I remember Brian Gee , he split his head open so he used a silicon gun and filled the gap so he could keep on going , if anyone can put names to any of the sailors not mentioned feel free to do so

Piv
WA, 372 posts
30 Mar 2016 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Mal Wright the day after.

Piv
WA, 372 posts
30 Mar 2016 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Piv
WA, 372 posts
30 Mar 2016 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

My photo album tells me this board is 11.5 inches wide or 29cm. Not sure where I got that from. Might have read it on the beach but its not necessarily true.

Thats me. Back in the days of fluro pink wet suits and Neil Pryde RAF Sprint sails. Man I flogged that sail for years, flat water, waves, everywhere. I think its still rolled up in the shed somewhere....I made the board with some help from some of the Mandurah guys.

That RAF Sprint was regarded as a fairly twisty sail in those days. By modern standards it looks like it needs more downhaul. I reckon that board trim looks all right.

I think this is Col Leonhardt ?? Sail Logic.

This is how close to the beach you could and did sail to the beach at Sandy Point. Check out the rake on the rig in the back ground. It took a few years to figure out to move the mast foot back, and stand the rig up a bit.

I zoomed in on this one so you can see some of the crew back on the beach.

Wild Winds and Strapper. Look at the boxy rails on that board.

HF
WA, 167 posts
31 Mar 2016 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

That green Sail-Logic is Mike Tyrell I believe, since passed away.

John340
QLD, 3064 posts
31 Mar 2016 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Boom height are very low

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
31 Mar 2016 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..
Boom height are very low

Hmmm, I would have thought quite high, but with much more rig rake they ended up about the same at the harness lines.

John340
QLD, 3064 posts
31 Mar 2016 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

John340 said..
Boom height are very low

Hmmm, I would have thought quite high, but with much more rig rake they ended up about the same at the harness lines.

So my setup is too high!

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
14 Apr 2016 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

weren't Meeester sails a Vic. brand?

Adriano
11206 posts
14 Apr 2016 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome pics and tales. The thing I love the most other than seeing Sandy in its heyday is all the colour! It's vibrant - even in old scanned photos!

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
14 Apr 2016 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RAL INN said..
weren't Meeester sails a Vic. brand?

Yes. He made quite a few sails back in the late 80's I think.

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
14 Apr 2016 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piv said..

That is a young (slow) Sailquik.
Select to expand quote
Piv said..

My photo album tells me this board is 11.5 inches wide or 29cm. Not sure where I got that from. Might have read it on the beach but its not necessarily true.

Mike Andrews?
Select to expand quote
Piv said..

Janet Wright?
Select to expand quote
Piv said..

Thats me. Back in the days of fluro pink wet suits and Neil Pryde RAF Sprint sails. Man I flogged that sail for years, flat water, waves, everywhere. I think its still rolled up in the shed somewhere....I made the board with some help from some of the Mandurah guys.

That RAF Sprint was regarded as a fairly twisty sail in those days. By modern standards it looks like it needs more downhaul. I reckon that board trim looks all right.

That is my Tandem partner, and very talented board shaper, Pete Smith coming into shot on the left.
Select to expand quote
Piv said..

I think this is Col Leonhardt ?? Sail Logic.

This is how close to the beach you could and did sail to the beach at Sandy Point. Check out the rake on the rig in the back ground. It took a few years to figure out to move the mast foot back, and stand the rig up a bit.

Michelle? weighed about 40 kilos ringing wet!!
Select to expand quote
Piv said..

Colin Tregonning of Ringwood Surf and Sail. A really nice guy and a very big supporter of the Sandy Point Sailboard Club events.
Select to expand quote
Piv said..

I zoomed in on this one so you can see some of the crew back on the beach.

Wild Winds and Strapper. Look at the boxy rails on that board.

kato
VIC, 3347 posts
15 Apr 2016 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Colin Tregonning is still around , living between the UK and Aus. Not sailing but into motor bikes.I was sponsored by Rob Mester for a while . Bulletproof sails

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
15 Apr 2016 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Adriano said..
Awesome pics and tales. The thing I love the most other than seeing Sandy in its heyday is all the colour! It's vibrant - even in old scanned photos!

+1
Yes it was certainly more colorful in those days, both gear and outfits! Great pics.

Piv
WA, 372 posts
16 Apr 2016 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

I am about to get a new wetsuit. Maybe I should try and get a nice fluro pink and bright lime green one. I should also try to get a colour change shirt. Think they were Ll the rage in sandy point back then.

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
18 Apr 2016 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Finally found some scans I knew I had:

I think this one was sent to me by Chris Torkler from NZ:

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Sandy Point Trip 1989 ( I think )" started by aussieboats