Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Thank goodness for "Protection".

Created by FNQBilly > 9 months ago, 20 Jul 2014
FNQBilly
QLD, 110 posts
20 Jul 2014 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Just a couple of photo's of the end results of ones head coming into contact with the sea bed whilst attemting a 34kt 2 sec run on the eastern most speed run at Green Island. One of our local Guru's - Kelly Morgan. This damaged occurred after he had already speared through the bottom panel of a 7.5 Overdrive. I would hazard a guess that the depth was only around 60cm - doesnt leave a whole lot of room for an error margin at that speed.

Just a quick reminder to all of the potential for injury in every thing we do.

Couldnt work out why he looked a bit , well dazed would be a good word, when he sauntered over for a chat out in the water. And, no the GoPro wasnt turned on, so we have no video footage - Bugger.

firiebob
WA, 3131 posts
20 Jul 2014 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm, I have a Gath somewhere, I might have to find it again
Glad you survived another head butt Cpt Kel

decrepit
WA, 11887 posts
20 Jul 2014 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Wow!! How is his neck???? Think I'd be going for an X-ray after that just to make sure there's no fractures.

elmo
WA, 8668 posts
20 Jul 2014 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

^+1
I've got a dent in the back of my head from where I smashed my helmet on the mast

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
21 Jul 2014 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Speed sailing in shallow water You guys needs your heads read - before you go out!

Boombuster
QLD, 570 posts
21 Jul 2014 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Iv known Kel for a long time his a good sailor but pushes things as we all do. Am sure his helmet is very old as iv seen him wearing it for many years the same one so I would say it was very brittle as with my old one I dropped it on the road one day from 2 feet high & the same thing happen it cracked like a egg.
I might be wrong but he might not have hit hard for this to happen although we must keep in mind the sport is dangerous as any other sports us humans like taking risks. Men especially are risk takers.

firiebob
WA, 3131 posts
21 Jul 2014 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I was thinking the same Glynn, Kel's had that lid for years and I have never seen him sail without it, was time for a new one me thinks

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
21 Jul 2014 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
firiebob said..
Yeh I was thinking the same Glynn, Kel's had that lid for years and I have never seen him sail without it, was time for a new one me thinks

Maybe we should turn it into a trophy for FNQ Mob's best stack or accident although I suspect it'll just be passed between Kel and Cam each year

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
21 Jul 2014 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

Thats a plus 1 for helmets ! Glad your ok Kell

decrepit
WA, 11887 posts
21 Jul 2014 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ikw777 said..
Speed sailing in shallow water You guys needs your heads read - before you go out!

Hey, 600m isn't shallow, you can run a 50cm fin in that! 200mm is shallow, you need a 19 or less to get in there.
Now those cyclists going downhill at 100km/hr with a vertical drop off one side of the road, that's a different story.

F2
QLD, 209 posts
21 Jul 2014 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Glad you are alright Kel, I had the same thing happen to me years ago with my gath hat, went over the front of the board at high speed it the bottom as well as my board and broke my NEW gath hat to pieces, I think the hat saved my life.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
21 Jul 2014 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..

ikw777 said..

Hey, 600m isn't shallow, you can run a 50cm fin in that! 200mm is shallow, you need a 19 or less to get in there.
Now those cyclists going downhill at 100km/hr with a vertical drop off one side of the road, that's a different story.

I prefer my water deep and lumpy.

fangman
WA, 1255 posts
21 Jul 2014 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
elmo said..
^+1
I've got a dent in the back of my head from where I smashed my helmet on the mast

Hmm. I dont think so Elmo, cos just above the 'dent' there is a little label in the fur that says '2xAAbatteries'

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Thank goodness for "Protection"." started by FNQBilly