Well as you are all aware recently the council has done some work too the Dunes where we rig in the NE winds and made a designated pathway to the beach from what we used before as a pathway to carry our equipment down to the beach. I am all for the council working on restoring and upgrading the beach access.
However this new access to the beach, and the existing access ways will be upgrade in due time, which is use now is not appropriate for our use as windsurfers the path is well fenced and restricting our access to the beach. It is a shared pathway which is fine if we are not caring our sails, I see a potential for injury to us and other beach uses as we cross paths with each other also the fencing could damage our sails. So I have contact Bayside Council in regards to this matter and they are open for discussion.
The meeting is set for tomorrow at 11am at the beach carpark site. if anybody can attend with me it would be appreciated.
By approach is to show them a rigged sail and how we access the beach and the amount of area we take up in the path.
I am proposing if they can open a new access to the beach for our use only. i am aware they cannot set aside a path way just exclusively for us but trying to present a idea to them on how it would work.
So what i am suggesting that they do prepare a new path not sure from where yet this i can discuss with them tomorrow but to have a path about 1.500 wide with poles possible 200mm above sand level just to keep a path so we do not interfere with the dune restoration and impact on the vegetation. The entry point to this path to be thru two poles possible only 1.00meter apart from the carpark side and same on the beach side with a sign notifying windsurfer access. I know we can not stop public using this access but it will over time minimise the general public useing this access and they will realise the dangers and will stay on the other access point. if they approve to work with this proposal it will minimise risk liability to us all.
What do you guys think.
if you have any suggestion please, let me hear your point of view, and I will suggest all our views tomorrow.
The council have returned my call quickly and only today the meeting was approved so short notice.
Ok thanks guys
PS i am going through family lost at the moment and am find it hard to cope, but trying my best to keep it together. wasn't expecting council to get back so quick bad timing.
I can meet you at about 10.30 and discuss some options before they arrive at 11am.
Current path would be ok if the fence (old and new) was at least another foot lower?
I can meet you at about 10.30 and discuss some options before they arrive at 11am.
HI Aus4 OK that would be great see you there appreciate the support.
Hi Remi yep will suggest that option as well. Thanks let see where we end up and what they will agree upon.
Kind regards Walt
Good luck guys.
That new pathways a problem for the vertically challenged carrying a sail down to the beach.
A lower fence about 1 meter high would work for the dunes and the windsurfers.
the meeting took place the scene was set for a show down rain falling lightly sweat on our brows the council brought there hit men, we had our hit men its was a intense stand off.
Only joking it went quiet well the Executive engineer was very open for us to submit our idea and the conversation was very easy with both parties.
My team comprised of Me , Aus4 and Formulanova, thanks guys for coming down and offering you views to Council.
The main reason for this is to eliminate a hazard and potential incidents we do not want to hit anybody while carrying our equipment on a dual user path.
Some of the talk was
Point 1. to have a new path way but it was along shot and council also was saying it would be difficult to implement with out i suppose a environmental survey of opening a new path. It would take time I think this was his point.
Point 2. cut down the poles starting from the first entry from the grass area around to the new existing pathway and along the run down to the beach
Point 3. to alter the new path they made to a smaller width about a 1.000wide or so poles quite low along the run to the beach and the entry point and exit to the path to have the pole about the .900 tall and about .900wide with the existing fencing and once we are in that zone the 1.000 or so path low poles as mentioned unrestrictive to our movement of carrying the sails, with some signage to indicate windsurfers pathway but not exclusive for us but with the narrow entry and narrow width path it would deter the beach goers carrying there eskie and bags through the tight opening along the sand path as an alternative they would still use the concrete ramp style down to the new plastic raised boardwalk style ramp the rest of the way to the sand which is in their plan anyway so that would look nice and accomodating for both parties.
If you noticed the heavy mesh that they have placed along the poles everywhere this is to stop dogs running through the vegetation as they have made this section a dog beach. not to keep us out which is what I though originally but still questioning if it was directed to us a bit.
So our next step is to put the suggestion in writing and send to the Executive Engineer, also i will be asking Mari our fellow windsurfer to fly his drone tomorrow and take some ariel photos so i can sketch over the top of the photos overlay sketches of point 2 and 3. I am not very computer savvy on this part so if there is anyone out there who can do this easily help would be appreciated.
Because there is more planned work to complete by the council as mentioned raised boardwalks our request if passed could be part of this completing works this could happen soon and we would eliminate by 80% crossing paths with beach goes carrying our sails most of the way safe and sound and with signage free us from any possible litigation.
Any thought on the above guys, sorry a bit long but hope it explains the concerns
Proposed Drawings and explanatory note have been submitted to Council.
We now wait for there reply and suggestions.
Walt, thanks for taking the intitative in negotiating with Bayside Council on improved access esp at this time for your family. As one of the shorter sailors the new access track is a pain, esp if other beach users are hoping to use the track. Will keep an eye on any response to your proposals. Regards Dave
Awesome job Walt, it needed your patience and polished manners, would not work with others...
Well, the proposal was progressed in the queue on Tuesday. Today I received a letter response from the council. They hear our concerns and are willing to alter the beach access, I was hoping for a better outcome, however they are suggesting minor changes to the existing path. I feel it is not a result but a token gesture by the council.
I will contact the infrastructure project coordinator and try to meet them on site again to firstly understand there suggestion and secondly rig a sail and show then the difficulties hoping this may sway them a bit more and receive a greater compromise instead of their token works.
I am grateful they have listened and responded to a lonely voice amongst the crowd, Unfortunately I will have to work with there suggestion but add our twist on it. I will try for that extra 25% which if they compromise a bit it will be a result.
If you guys have any questions I will try to respond if it is within the content of this issue.
Hi Walt. What did they come back with as their solution?
Hopefully they will at least drop the height of the posts which should make it easier to get down there, and still allow them to fence off the dunes from people and dogs.
There suggestion is to keep the new path but make it 4meters wide. I believe this is still to narrow we will be still crossing paths with beach goers and the poles would still be in play.
I have responded to this suggestion, understanding that they are not able to build a new path elsewhere so replied that a 7meter wide path would be better instead of there 4meter basically working with them and what we have there now.
Part of the 7meter say 2meter of that they can still have a raised plank section which is what they where going to do anyway, when i say raised it would be only 200mm above sand level basically sitting on top of the sand in effect, and the remaining of the 7meter to be left as sand.
Therefore it follows in there concern as being a shared path way not exclusive to one community group which I have never suggested to them to build a exclusive pathway just for us.
Which ever-way they choose they are promising to have it completed before Christmas.
Hi Walt, its funny in that a 4 metre path could work for you, as long as it was aligned with the wind.
With that in mind where it is is not that bad and might work.
I think reducing the height of the poles and the use of poles across the top would improve things markedly, so lets hope they don't leave it as exposed poles with wire between.
good work ! any result is better than nothing, 4m wide will make a huge difference. We will call it 'Walt's highway'
What about the reduced height?
The council suggested we all take growth hormone pills to increase our height....
Hi AUS4 yes the height of the poles was in my letter so it is still in the mix.
The council have not been in contact with me since three weeks ago after they suggested to widen the path to 4meters.
The Engineer is easy to contact and have a chat with but it has progressed to the project coordinator and planning committee so not easy to have one of them to return my calls as of yet.
Sunday was challenging getting gear to and from the beach as it was a busy day with families access the pathway so we had to wait with our sails over our head for several minutes until they pasted which is not a big deal but still an incident waiting to happen, I will try to contact council again this week to see where we are with progress.
I did ask for some new signage to be place around the carpark indicating no littering and have noticed new signage install indicating no littering with other banned activities, not sure how effective the signs will be but one rubbish in the bin is better then non. So some progress I guess.
I am also considering to ask to ban jet skis between 10am and 8pm weekends northern end of the bay, but not sure how this will go down anyway that's another story.
Anyway lets hope the access path is done soon.
Ill keep you guys posted as info come to hand
Just wanted to say I was very pleased to see that the path has now been widened recently to around 4m width. Whilst the Council has not come on board with all your suggestions as yet (i.e eliminating the corner etc) it is a vast improvement. As I have experienced negotiating with Council officers in other sporting groups in the past , dealing with the bureaucracy can be a frustrating and timely process of which I thank you for your efforts here. It certainly helps at least this sailor get his kit down and back easier. Cheers Dave