waricle
WA, 714 posts
16 Mar 2016 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

waricle
WA, 714 posts
16 Mar 2016 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

If a picture is worth a thousand words then all that's left to say is what a fine looking crew!

Pat2me
QLD, 37 posts
16 Mar 2016 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

What a fantastic afternoon, thanks everyone.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
16 Mar 2016 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

It was great to see you out sailing again Pat, you've been missing in action. Good company, good wind and good times.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1086 posts
16 Mar 2016 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Classic sandstone afternoon. All the usual pensioners and unemployed sailing :-)

PB. 24.3knts on Exocet sting 124 Ezzy 7.5 43fin

Adam up and going on BIC techno in both straps stepping down from his JP funster

Pat up and away on GO161 with retro 9m sail.

JohnoJV seen out in the water with a modern sail ;-)

Me and john Paddy neck a neck across the front on the plane

Pete out planing first on his Thomomen Xxl

Bribie John mr consistency pulling off all his gybes

Steve back on form showing his three fin BIC Techno love

Wonderful times

Cheers Jeff

waricle
WA, 714 posts
16 Mar 2016 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

We're all smiling too!
Great consistant wind, not too choppy, warm water for those incomplete gybes...
living the dream!

jirvin4505
QLD, 1086 posts
17 Mar 2016 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Still feeling juiced about yesterday's session

After Windfest I'm on a mission to sail smaller fins and learn how to get going with them

First up I was able to go out on the fanatic stingray with 8.5ezzy and 45 fin (step up from 7.5 with the fin). Surprised myself with how manageable it was. Wind was fresh and was able to lift the boards PB to 23knts - better than Burrum

As the wind filled in I went out on the 124 Exocet Sting (working my way down in board size) with Ezzy7.5 and 43 fin

Initially all very easy with plenty of wind. Must say its a joy to be developing skills sail smaller kit - it is as everybody kept saying 'much easier - more in control'

I became a little obsessed beating up wind as much as I could and then doing downwind bear offs on the way back. Checking the GPS - a little faster each time - ITS A DRUG!!!

The wind was setting and I started getting spin out if I tried to climb back upwind. So a few last runs full of gusto and gung-ho ..... Lifted my PB to over 24knts. Fast for a 'keen beginner'

What amazed me was the final wind strength was my normal bigger board/fin/sail weather. Actually very surprised I was getting going and pulled of my best run.

A distance phone video thanks to Pete ....,

Happy days

Cheers Jeff

Ezric
NSW, 183 posts
17 Mar 2016 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

You really have had a big jump in PB. Must have learned heaps at Windfest. Well done mate!

jirvin4505
QLD, 1086 posts
18 Mar 2016 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Sailing Sunday?? Been talking to Morgan...
Tony and I are keen for some action. I have afternoon shift so can sail Southside before work. Any suggestions for Sunday morning given the low tide??
Morgs>>>>Thompson's Vicky point 8 ish sounds good

Any of the regulars keen for a drive Southside?? Dropp the partner off at DFO

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
18 Mar 2016 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jeff, nice big morning tide around 8am so if the wind comes in like the forecast is saying it'll hopefully hold the water in and we'll get a good few hours so I'm going to have a morning session at Sandstone and stay in the shire.

MalJ
QLD, 187 posts
18 Mar 2016 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..
Sailing Sunday?? Been talking to Morgan...
Tony and I are keen for some action. I have afternoon shift so can sail Southside before work. Any suggestions for Sunday morning given the low tide??
Morgs>>>>Thompson's Vicky point 8 ish sounds good

Any of the regulars keen for a drive Southside?? Dropp the partner off at DFO

Sunday morning forecast looks ok for VP. See you there Jeff.

Mal

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7419 posts
18 Mar 2016 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..
Still feeling juiced about yesterday's session

After Windfest I'm on a mission to sail smaller fins and learn how to get going with them

First up I was able to go out on the fanatic stingray with 8.5ezzy and 45 fin (step up from 7.5 with the fin). Surprised myself with how manageable it was. Wind was fresh and was able to lift the boards PB to 23knts - better than Burrum

As the wind filled in I went out on the 124 Exocet Sting (working my way down in board size) with Ezzy7.5 and 43 fin

Initially all very easy with plenty of wind. Must say its a joy to be developing skills sail smaller kit - it is as everybody kept saying 'much easier - more in control'

I became a little obsessed beating up wind as much as I could and then doing downwind bear offs on the way back. Checking the GPS - a little faster each time - ITS A DRUG!!!

The wind was setting and I started getting spin out if I tried to climb back upwind. So a few last runs full of gusto and gung-ho ..... Lifted my PB to over 24knts. Fast for a 'keen beginner'

What amazed me was the final wind strength was my normal bigger board/fin/sail weather. Actually very surprised I was getting going and pulled of my best run.

A distance phone video thanks to Pete ....,

Happy days

Cheers Jeff

Looking good!

One day I worked my way up into the flats at Budgy to realise my GPS battery was dead..Hmm why bother sailing? Went back and got my spare.. Must admit it was PB weather with 20-30kts wind..I was shocked at my attitude..

ballast
QLD, 489 posts
18 Mar 2016 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paddles B'mere said..
Hi Jeff, nice big morning tide around 8am so if the wind comes in like the forecast is saying it'll hopefully hold the water in and we'll get a good few hours so I'm going to have a morning session at Sandstone and stay in the shire.

Might make the pilgrimage south.

What are the natives like down that way? Should we bring trinkets to make peace with them?? Maybe Tim Tams or a sacrificial lamb? Tony's beer fridge contents??

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
18 Mar 2016 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

You'll need to make a couple of sacrifices to the carpark god's with your big rig Brad

wadem
QLD, 65 posts
19 Mar 2016 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

I might head out to Sandstone late arvo for a look. Hopefully a bit more breeze and water.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
19 Mar 2016 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

I don't think there will be much water late afternoon Wade, it's the smaller tide and it'll be 8-9pm high. I'm hoping there will be enough wind early tomorrow.

JVJohnnie
QLD, 54 posts
19 Mar 2016 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

l,LL be heading over to bongaree on the outgoing.tide. Thats when it crests up nicely in the passage as well a
as the current doing half of your upwind work. lf you are looking for speed it flattens out nicely after the green beacon and there is plenty of places where you can hop off or crash and still touch bottom as the tide drops. If you are heading south wello ftattens out on the low tide but just watch bottom upwind of beacons. The low tide sail at vickki pt is great. Use a board you are confident will float you in lulls. Pack a few gold coins and point high for the jetty at coochie not much more than a mile away. You,LL see it once out on the water after walking your rig out. Sandy beach , tap, take away shop, clean water and lots of spectators. Easy downwind blast home. Best to stay upwind of jetty with plenty of water close in. There's more around the corner towards straddie but beware the windshadow and rocks and current on se pt of island. Safe sailing but have a blast everyone.

wadem
QLD, 65 posts
20 Mar 2016 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone heading out this morning

Adam roofer
QLD, 156 posts
20 Mar 2016 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Yes jonh and me about 10 kn now hope it comes in a bit more

JVJohnnie
QLD, 54 posts
20 Mar 2016 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

I,LL be at bongaree from about 9.30. All day . Might sail down to sandstone if enough water and wind.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1086 posts
20 Mar 2016 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Small group went Southside to share the love today.

Brad, Tony and myself visited Morgs and the crew at Thomsons Beach Vickie Pt

Great mornings sailing at a magnificent venue.
Most of us on big gear. Counted 8 boards on the water when I arrived. Locals looking good - some trick sailing looking cool

Good to catch up with Morgs Anita Jay Jack Duncan Bob and Mal.

Sailed until the tide went out

Great company great sailing - life is great

Cheers Jeff
Did the Sandstone regulars get some sailing in??

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
20 Mar 2016 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah Jeff. Adam, Wade and myself got in early and then Pete showed up a bit later on. Beautiful conditions but nowhere near the breeze that was forecast, I was struggling to get up and planing using my 7.8 but Pete has given me an 8.5 to try out so it'll be game on for the next 10 knot day. The breeze was up and down, Adam got a bit excited and only brought down the Techno and his 7.2m sail so he really struggled early on and didn't end up sailing much, but he went back over to Bongaree with JVJohnno and The Pope this afternoon so hopefully got a bit more sailing in. Wade was much the same and mostly sat it out until Pete showed up and loaned him a 140L Freewide and then the breeze got up enough for Wade, Pete and myself to get in a few good planing runs. There's no way I was going to just hang on the beach so I just sailed back and forth by myself semi-planing until the wind started to get up a bit, but before long the water was so low I was hitting the bottom about 200m out so we all called it a day. Hopefully you guys had a bit more speed/power down there. I've ordered myself a Tru Ames 'Stubbie' shallow water fin (38cm long but has the same surface area as my 56cm fin) from the US so I can sail for longer on the shallower tides and still have some grip, now I've gotta track down a boom that will go out to 230+cm so I can use that 8.5m sail when I need to. Looking like a couple of days of southerlies ahead.

Bone's
QLD, 187 posts
20 Mar 2016 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, you guys missed a fantastic day southside at Thomsons beach, that place rocks!

AvB
QLD, 89 posts
20 Mar 2016 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

We are aiming to sail tomorrow, but Janet is keen to head up to Boreen Point. Hope the wind comes to the party.

JVJohnnie
QLD, 54 posts
21 Mar 2016 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

15 to 18 knots at bongaree. Lots of south in it. Perfect for turn of tide at 9. Pope John and l will be launching from last carpark south of jetty. Might drop down if l see sails or meet you here. Or halfway across if you dare the upwind. Organizing a car both ends would save the upwind leg but the more south it is the easier it is.

AvB
QLD, 89 posts
21 Mar 2016 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Boreen was good. We met a few other guys - Ken, Russell, and also Andrew Daff who is making his way back towards his Victoria home after the Burrum Windfest.

The wind picked up nicely just after we arrived and got pretty solid, maybe 15 - 18 kts max. I rode the Astro Rock with 6.6m, and Janet the Metal Rock with 5.7m. By the time we packed up around 4pm, the wind was dropping out annoyingly at times. But a good session and we've been feeling on top of the world that we've been pulling off quite a few successful gybes. I love the Astro Rock. I also like the 35cm Flying Objects slalom fins we got to fit the US classic finboxes ... they don't let go unless you jump, and they pull back in again pretty easily.

waricle
WA, 714 posts
21 Mar 2016 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Had a good session this arvo at Bongaree with JV Johnnie, got on the water around 2 just before low tide. The wind had a bit of east so the wind line was a bit offshore but my 7.0 on the Naish freewide was fine. Gibing in lumpy conditions is a bit different to flat water. Practiced my water starts.....
ill have to spend more time in those conditions. Pope John had his session earlier so we had coffee afterwards. A great afernoon all said and done.

ballast
QLD, 489 posts
21 Mar 2016 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Very nice spot you guys have down there. Locals were friendly and helpful too.
Great fun having that many boards in a small area.

Great way to spend a few hours

lee1972
QLD, 920 posts
21 Mar 2016 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Love reading these posts, its kept me going as my TOW has been pretty non existent for the last year. Thats what two kids and a company to run does to you!
Cant wait to eventually head over to Sandstone for a sail. Keep up the good work

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Sandstone Seabreezers" started by Paddles B'mere