Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Tyronsea 350

Created by Segie > 9 months ago, 20 Apr 2017
Segie
QLD, 6 posts
20 Apr 2017 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

I am looking at a Tyronsea Elite 350 for my son to learn on.

I don't know anything about the board - any comments or recommendations?

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
20 Apr 2017 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wasp said..

Great your son is keen

need a few more details?
age weight athletic?

i can highly recommend the learn to windsurf lessons at RQ as a kick starter

When you ask is 350 good? Compared to what?

sure plenty learned on longboards - now days with wider learner boards the progress is much more assured

Cheers Jeff

Segie
QLD, 6 posts
20 Apr 2017 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response. My son is about 175cm and ~67kg.

I currently have him learning on a F2 Xantos 152L.

Although he is doing well for a first timer, I think the volume and stability (without a daggerboard) are an issue.

I am not familiar with the Tyronsea brand, so I was really looking for peoples comments and experience with the size and make of board - maybe compared to a F2 Lightning?

Craig

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
20 Apr 2017 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Always spend good money to buy a good learner board, you'll always get it back. You can get away with cheaper, second hand rig components and sails to learn with, but always buy a good learner board and learning will be so much easier

Edit: just saw your post Wasp, I reckon that Xantos would be awesome, he's a pretty big lad. Maybe look at a big fin to make up for the lack of a dagger board.

cammd
QLD, 3463 posts
20 Apr 2017 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wasp said..

Hi Wasp

I am one of the windsurf instructors at RQ and I can recommend the learn to windsurf course, I think a new one is just starting.

Your son will learn on modern learner friendly gear in a safe structured social environment. RQ also has a good "Green Fleet" program happening for kids. Windsurfing is better with friends and kids really thrive in the club environment.

About the board, its probably ok to learn as its large and reasonably stable but not ideal, what about the sail, an adult size rig will make learning that much harder

If your son join's RQ as a member there is gear onsite your son can use to progress on, then purchase a board once you know he's committed

So my recommendation is spend the money on a course and membership, he will learn via a proven structured system, meet windsurfers his own age and have use of all the gear he needs in the beginning and then you can spend money later on good equipment that will last him for years.

Segie
QLD, 6 posts
20 Apr 2017 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you.

grich62
QLD, 661 posts
20 Apr 2017 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

i brought one brand new for my wife worse thing i ever did, the board was bent like a banana front to back,very unstable and imposible to get on the plane.they also will split down the seams and have plastic fin boxes.do you self a favor and buy later type board,they are crap

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7911 posts
21 Apr 2017 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
grich62 said..
i brought one brand new for my wife worse thing i ever did, the board was bent like a banana front to back,very unstable and imposible to get on the plane.they also will split down the seams and have plastic fin boxes.do you self a favor and buy later type board,they are crap

Has she continued sailing?

BSN101
WA, 2235 posts
21 Apr 2017 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wasp said..
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response. My son is about 175cm and ~67kg.

I currently have him learning on a F2 Xantos 152L.

Although he is doing well for a first timer, I think the volume and stability (without a daggerboard) are an issue.

I am not familiar with the Tyronsea brand, so I was really looking for peoples comments and experience with the size and make of board - maybe compared to a F2 Lightning?

Craig

You'll still be using a F2Lightening in 10yrs, certainly not the T350.
Lessons is a great starting place as it ensures the future of the sport and will most likely turbo charge the learning curve.

grich62
QLD, 661 posts
21 Apr 2017 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..

grich62 said..

Has she continued sailing?

end up trading the board in for a bic salsa ,which she loved,still got the board but her knees are stuffed so she dont ride much any more.once a year at the most in shallow water. i used the salsa to get me back into sailing.its a short board about 200 liters with a center board adjustable mast track,very fast of the wind and planes quickly, but hard to gybe ,it has huge rails and catches in the waves up here in townsville.i remember blowing some guys on the gold coast of on it in the 90s they were not impressed.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Tyronsea 350" started by Segie