Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2012 RRD Free Style Wave anyone ride one yet?

Created by mikeo56 > 9 months ago, 17 Mar 2012
mikeo56
9 posts
17 Mar 2012 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

Looking to buy the new 2012 RRD FSW
just was looking for any feedback by anyone who has ridden one.

Shorter and wider this year looking at the 102 ltr
I weigh 230 lbs

Thanks in advance.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
18 Mar 2012 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

you can't go wrong with a RRD fsw......

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
18 Mar 2012 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

my mate bought the 96L and he is still frothing over it, perfect balnce of speed and manouverability, really really good product and they use wood as well so it has a really nice flex in the waves, and good pop for jumping, only downside is they do like a little bit of power to get going

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
18 Mar 2012 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Jem Hall had one in Mauritius in September, he took it into the waves, did the flatwater loops and all, looks like a great board

The 12 JP100 fsw is also good

AJEaster
NSW, 695 posts
22 Mar 2012 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

A review done on 100L FSWs in the Jan/Feb issue of Windsurf Mag. It got a good rapp. Actually, all of them got a good rapp! T

The issue I have with Windsurf mag is that they sugar-coat everything and aren't critical enough on the poorer aspects of a product, which are just as important as the good points I feel.

Anyway, the key points of the 2012 RRD FSW was that it was faster than the last model, but still had the trademark RRD comfy ride.

ozziedave
WA, 10 posts
22 Mar 2012 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 101 rrd FSW 2011 which I've had for 18 months. I weigh around 90 kgs. I find it excellent all round board for bump and jump and in waves. I got a smaller 24cm fin which makes it looser in the waves and increases the control when windy. I've lent the board to a few people and they all comment on how comfortable it is.

The construction seems to be good. The only negative is the non slip is very non slip and can be abrasive if you land on the board. mostly a good thing so long as its your feet on the boards!!

d1
WA, 304 posts
22 Mar 2012 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

I use the 2012 96l. It is excellent for bump & jump and can be sailed very fast through high chop. Very comfortable, and gybes well at any radius. The SUV of boards, really. Only one small issue - when set up with double footstraps at the back, they are practically touching, so it is difficult to lock the back foot in during jumps.

mikeo56
9 posts
23 Mar 2012 3:03AM
Thumbs Up

Got this email from a Rep.
Thanks for your enquiry. The new FSWs are amazing, their shortness and curved plan shape make them looser, more fun and better in the air than our previous FSWs and this width also makes them very stable and gives them a wider wind range. The width allows us to to make the rails thinner so they can be more responsive in carving moves and even in wave riding too.

I use the the 102, 96 and 90 in waves for lighter winds or gustier conditions and only switch to my quads when the waves are bigger or the riding is getting tougher.

The boards are very stable through the water and soooo smooth, many of my clients describe them as smooth as silk and very controllable. Many who try our fsws buy : )

The feedback from all sailors of a variety of weights and abilities has been excellent.

What weight are you and which size interests you so I can best advise?
How would this board fit in your quiver?

Look forward to your reply and thanks for considering RRD,
Enjoy,

JEZ
WA, 395 posts
23 Mar 2012 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Hi mike.
I don't know where you live, but if you're in Perth then you can drop into the shop & take out the demo 102 that we have...
I think that you will agree that whoever you mailed is correct. This years FSW range is even smoother than last's, yet gives plenty of pace when required. Possibly their easiest gybing free-wave board so far.
Tough as old boots as well....

Cheers.Jez. RRD Australia

Ride
WA, 236 posts
23 Mar 2012 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hi mike
I have the 96l 2012 RRD FSW it is without question the most fun I've ever had. From launching big airs on anything to carving tight arcs on any bit of chop .... fun fun fun. Super comfortable and very quick in a straight line what more could you want :)

mikeo56
9 posts
23 Mar 2012 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

You guys are talking me into buying one of these bad boys:)
Right now I ride a Angulo Super Gu 102 ltr.

Been sailing along time but not a lot of water time only summer months and for most of that time only 1 day a week, So looking to get a board that is a little more snappy and loose than the Angulo

Moved near the George in hood River Oregon about 4 hrs away and have been spending some time there in the summer, sailing the tamer spots pretty much bumpy and choppy water. I have not made it to the spots you see in the photos kinda just happy with taking it easy and having fun in my older years (56)

Great posts I am sure you guys are helping a lot of others who would like to get a new RRD.
Thanks

SailorBlue
3 posts
28 Mar 2012 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Get an 2012 Exocet Cross Pro 104, great board for everything, you won't regret it!! I weight 210 lbs and ride it from 16 to 30 knots!!! Great range, pair it with a Ezzy sail from 5.8 to 7.0m!!

Trash
5 posts
29 Mar 2012 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

I've got the previous FSW 101 in XTECH and im thinking about getting a new 96. Has anyone sailed both constructions? Just wonderding what I'm missing out on not having it in LTD and wonder if it's worth the extra cash.

JEZ
WA, 395 posts
29 Mar 2012 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Trash.
As the Australian distributor for RRD, we do actually only bring in the LTD versions. This is because I feel that it is definitely the best version.
It feels crisper yet is super strong, and the lighter weight makes a noticeable difference in earlier planing and agility. Great board.
Bringing only one construction in means that pricing is not much more than the Xtech would be!
Cheers.
Jez

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 RRD Free Style Wave anyone ride one yet?" started by mikeo56