Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2016 Goya Fringe 5.7, First look.

Created by jh2703 > 9 months ago, 23 Jul 2015
jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
23 Jul 2015 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

I've just taken delivery of my first 2 sails for 2016 thanks to Core Boardsports. I've chosen to go with a 4 sail quiver for this coming season comprising of Goya's flagship wave sail, The 3 batten Fringe. My choice of sizes were 4.7, 5.0, 5.3 and the all new 5.7. The first 2 to arrive today were the 5.7 and the 5.3 with the 5.0 and 4.7 arriving with the next shipment arriving in September ready for the Nor'Easters. I've rigged the all new 5.7 to have a look at, I may be bias but it is a sweet looking rig in the Levi Siver blue. The colors this year may be plain but they are totally vivid to look at, The colors include yellow, pink, green and the blue. Anyways here's a look at the 5.7...

A first glance the cut looks very similar to last years sails, exact almost until I noticed the clew length. The 5.7 had a clew length of 173cm which was very close to last years 5.3. Upon investigation the new 5.3 has reduced it's clew length by 3cm to 167cm, The 5.0 and the 4.7 have had a reduction of 2cm. The luff on all sails has remained the same with all my selected sails fitting on a RDM400 except for the 5.7 which rigs on a RDM430. A few more pics....

The massive clear window is the first thing you notice about these sails, You have a total unobstructed view of the wave you are riding. The next thing is the build quality, there is not a stich out of place or a loose thread to be found anywhere. The clew is heavily reinforced along with the head of the sail and the batten pockets. The bottom of the luff pocket is also heavily padded to protect your board from mast strikes. More pics...

It rigged nicely straight out of the bag, just a few turns on the batten key and it was sweet. I have noticed they have moved the downhaul marker this year. I did find on last years sail you could crank them down quite a bit further then suggested which gave them better handling when overpowered. The new position is very close to where I was setting last years sail at. Anyways I can't wait to get them wet and see how they perform, I'll give an update when I get them out on the water.

And I'm sure someone will ask, The 5.7 weighed 3.3kg on my bathroom scales. As I un-roll the others I'll let you know where they weigh in at.

Cheers and see you on the water.

uweh
311 posts
23 Jul 2015 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

cool thanks for 2016 update and pics 3.3 kg is light...cheers

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
24 Jul 2015 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
uweh said..
cool thanks for 2016 update and pics 3.3 kg is light...cheers

3.3 isn't that light considering it's only 3 batten... my Severne S1 Pro Edition weights 2.6 kgs ... that's light and it rigs on a 400 mast which saves another 200 grams compared to using a 430.

Overall this might not sound like a lot but when you try to fit a board, boom, two sails, mast into a single board bag to get onto a plane 700 grams suddenly seems like a lot of weight.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2016 Goya Fringe 5.7, First look." started by jh2703