Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2018 Ezzy Lion 9.5m

Created by olskool > 9 months ago, 18 Aug 2017
Siroco
11 posts
27 Mar 2019 5:23AM
Thumbs Up

I'm a Ezzy fan as well. All my wave sails are Ezzy, 3.7; 4.2; 4.7; 5.3 and 6.4. One Zeta, two Elites and two Tigers. And the main reason for keeping this set is its durability as the second hand market shows.

I never have owned a freeride or freerace sail from Ezzy and don't know anything about them. My 6.8 7.8 and 8.5 are Lofsails Switchblades. Maybe the cammed sails are not perfectly tested in Ezzy. What mast are you using?

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
27 Mar 2019 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..

Siroco said..
Any additional feedback of the 9.5 Lion?

Currently thinking in getting one, for my 122 RRD v9 and 48 Gregor Fin.

I've got a AL360 190-245, do you think I'll need a larger boom?

thanks

Short story....
Dissapointed in durability

I've been a fanboy of the Ezzy sails. Especially the lions.

Ive had various models from the original infinities through to gen 2

the secondhand infinities were bullet proof

my all my lions gen1 developed holes in the interface between the luff pocket and window 7.5, 8.5 and 9.5

There was a slight change in the design between the infinities and the lions in this area

Ezzy and local importer were responsive and sorted me out with gen 2 lions

Now they are developing the same damage. This is despite me changing my sail abusive tactics. I use to leave them rigged when away for school holidays.

With the second set I paid a lot more attention to care of the sails. Popping cams dropping downhaul and outhaul tensions .. derigging etc.

You can imagine the disappointment to see the holes begin to appear again in my 9.5 and 8.5. I've stopped using them while I wait to get them repaired

i have had discussion with Ezzy when the original problem occurred- I was impressed with support I received locally and internationally to get it sorted .. I'm left thinking it's me and how I use the sails???

lately I've started using severne overdrives and Naish sl sails. They haven't developed any holes ... time will tell

My original discussion of the problem with durability of the later gen Ezzy lions

www.iwindsurf.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=31695&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=0b3a2bd46229719a5c5fe27205f45d80

You can imagine the disappointment and financial hit to start exploring different brands of sails

Great sails to use.
Just wish I could find a way not to have them needing repair early in their life.

Lately I've been super impressed with my Mach1 8.5 overdrive admittedly more rigging hassle than the lions ... super impressed with stability and ability to handle overpowered conditions

It's not as 'soft' as the Ezzy and I need to work on a different pumping technique to get going in low wind conditions conditions

Im now looking for a 7.8 OD to replace my 7.5 lion

cheers Jeff
Audit the original 8.5 infinity 3 or 4 th owner is still going strong in my mates sail quiver ... no holes in window join!!

Gestalt
QLD, 14168 posts
27 Mar 2019 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Same happened to a mate I sail with. He's had panels replaced.

from what I understand he wasn't helped by warranty. He's looking at other brands too.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
27 Mar 2019 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Siroco said..
I'm a Ezzy fan as well. All my wave sails are Ezzy, 3.7; 4.2; 4.7; 5.3 and 6.4. One Zeta, two Elites and two Tigers. And the main reason for keeping this set is its durability as the second hand market shows.

I never have owned a freeride or freerace sail from Ezzy and don't know anything about them. My 6.8 7.8 and 8.5 are Lofsails Switchblades. Maybe the cammed sails are not perfectly tested in Ezzy. What mast are you using?

Yep got a bunch of Ezzy wave and Cheeta sails - all secondhand - all good. Some very old and good

The cammed infinities have been durable ... it's the later lions that I've had the problem with.

Keep thinking it's me ... but am lost on what to do differently

All on Ezzy RDM masts

cheers Jeff

ducati
QLD, 470 posts
27 Mar 2019 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Siroco said..

thanks

That boom will be much too springy for a 9.5
For that size Board, boom and fin you might be better with a 8m Cheetah also rigs on a 460 mast
On a 122L board my 8m Cheetah gets me going just as early (10kn) as a 8.5 Cheetah

I've had 2013/15 Lion's up to 9.5 and found them disappointing as far as bottom end and early planing
I now have Cheetahs and find them heaps better as far as earlier planning, lighter and still have a great wind range.

I did find the bigger Lion's 8.5 9.5 work better on a 490 SDM mast rather than the RDM
while the Cheetahs for some reason work fine on the Ezzy RDM

Here's a email I got off David 3years ago........
Me
I read somewhere that a 490 Standard Diameter Mast was better and more responsive than a RDM for light wind??

David
I think this is correct. When the RDM masts get to 490, the wall thickness needs to be so thick, which causes the mast to be a bit heavier and less responsive than a SDM at 490.

If so which SDM mast would you recommend ?

David
Most 490 SDM masts sold today are pretty close to the same bend.
You want a bend like this:
Length MCS IMCS 1/4% 3/4%
490 26 29 63.0% 76.0%
I think you can go with North, Pryde, Powerex, etc.
You want 100% carbon.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
27 Mar 2019 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

76-63 = 13
does that mean CC tending to flex top ??

don't like the idea that someone like Mr. David Ezzy says North/CC are like Neil Pryde/flexy
personally have seen NO sails that rig equally well on North & Pryde :-(

Siroco
11 posts
27 Mar 2019 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ducati said..

Siroco said..

thanks

That boom will be much too springy for a 9.5
For that size Board, boom and fin you might be better with a 8m Cheetah also rigs on a 460 mast
On a 122L board my 8m Cheetah gets me going just as early (10kn) as a 8.5 Cheetah

I've had 2013/15 Lion's up to 9.5 and found them disappointing as far as bottom end and early planing
I now have Cheetahs and find them heaps better as far as earlier planning, lighter and still have a great wind range.

I did find the bigger Lion's 8.5 9.5 work better on a 490 SDM mast rather than the RDM
while the Cheetahs for some reason work fine on the Ezzy RDM

Here's a email I got off David 3years ago........
Me
I read somewhere that a 490 Standard Diameter Mast was better and more responsive than a RDM for light wind??

David
I think this is correct. When the RDM masts get to 490, the wall thickness needs to be so thick, which causes the mast to be a bit heavier and less responsive than a SDM at 490.

If so which SDM mast would you recommend ?

David
Most 490 SDM masts sold today are pretty close to the same bend.
You want a bend like this:
Length MCS IMCS 1/4% 3/4%
490 26 29 63.0% 76.0%
I think you can go with North, Pryde, Powerex, etc.
You want 100% carbon.

thanks, ducati. I already have a 8.5 Switchblade. Very interesting the point on the 490 RDM. I rig the 8.5 with a 100% Loftsails 490 RDM and apparently looks ok but maybe with SDM can perform better. The reason for getting RDM in such large sizes is the number of SDM I've broken (Neilpryde). I'll test a 490 SDM anyway, thanks again

Shifu
QLD, 1918 posts
27 Mar 2019 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..

jirvin4505 said..

Siroco said..

thanks

Short story....
Dissapointed in durability

I've been a fanboy of the Ezzy sails. Especially the lions.

Ive had various models from the original infinities through to gen 2

the secondhand infinities were bullet proof

my all my lions gen1 developed holes in the interface between the luff pocket and window 7.5, 8.5 and 9.5

There was a slight change in the design between the infinities and the lions in this area

Ezzy and local importer were responsive and sorted me out with gen 2 lions

Now they are developing the same damage. This is despite me changing my sail abusive tactics. I use to leave them rigged when away for school holidays.

With the second set I paid a lot more attention to care of the sails. Popping cams dropping downhaul and outhaul tensions .. derigging etc.

You can imagine the disappointment to see the holes begin to appear again in my 9.5 and 8.5. I've stopped using them while I wait to get them repaired

i have had discussion with Ezzy when the original problem occurred- I was impressed with support I received locally and internationally to get it sorted .. I'm left thinking it's me and how I use the sails???

lately I've started using severne overdrives and Naish sl sails. They haven't developed any holes ... time will tell

My original discussion of the problem with durability of the later gen Ezzy lions

www.iwindsurf.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=31695&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=0b3a2bd46229719a5c5fe27205f45d80

You can imagine the disappointment and financial hit to start exploring different brands of sails

Great sails to use.
Just wish I could find a way not to have them needing repair early in their life.

Lately I've been super impressed with my Mach1 8.5 overdrive admittedly more rigging hassle than the lions ... super impressed with stability and ability to handle overpowered conditions

It's not as 'soft' as the Ezzy and I need to work on a different pumping technique to get going in low wind conditions conditions

Im now looking for a 7.8 OD to replace my 7.5 lion

cheers Jeff
Audit the original 8.5 infinity 3 or 4 th owner is still going strong in my mates sail quiver ... no holes in window join!!

Are you still carrying them on your head?

olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
27 Mar 2019 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Siroco, 490sdm i currently use is an F2 60% CC. Only thing available when my other 490 100% got broken. On the charts it is at hardtop end of CC. It is a bit heavy. But sets ok when DH just past Chinook extension mast collar. Booms ive used are Severne AluRace 200-250. Gaastra Blueline Vgrip 200-250. Both felt great until i went carbon NP RSX 225-265.
For my 100kg the 8m cheetah definately had better range rigged on 460 North Sdm than 460Ezzy Rdm.
I rigged masts back to back many times.
This may not be the case for everyone. But works for me.

Siroco
11 posts
27 Mar 2019 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
Siroco, 490sdm i currently use is an F2 60% CC. Only thing available when my other 490 100% got broken. On the charts it is at hardtop end of CC. It is a bit heavy. But sets ok when DH just past Chinook extension mast collar. Booms ive used are Severne AluRace 200-250. Gaastra Blueline Vgrip 200-250. Both felt great until i went carbon NP RSX 225-265.
For my 100kg the 8m cheetah definately had better range rigged on 460 North Sdm than 460Ezzy Rdm.
I rigged masts back to back many times.
This may not be the case for everyone. But works for me.

The choice for such large sails is definitely carbon for booms. I owned a aluminium V-Grip and when I switched to carbon the change was huge

Regarding masts, yes, SDM seems to be the choice. I'll look for a REPTILE mast (very good mast maker in my area)

olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
27 Apr 2019 4:59AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone else having issues with Xply material cracking? On my 9.5 the panel above boom has a few splits about 20mm long. Also a crack appearing near clew. I have rigged this sail more thsn 120times. So it had plenty of use. But it seems the new material is more brittle. Ive got older lions sailed just as much with no damage.

Gestalt
QLD, 14168 posts
27 Apr 2019 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
Anyone else having issues with Xply material cracking? On my 9.5 the panel above boom has a few splits about 20mm long. Also a crack appearing near clew. I have rigged this sail more thsn 120times. So it had plenty of use. But it seems the new material is more brittle. Ive got older lions sailed just as much with no damage.

many people having issues. its a sail problem not a user problem.

olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
27 Apr 2019 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

^^ Any point chasing up warranty or replacement or repair?? Ive sailed it 14months now. Good powerful sail, great tuning range. But seems to lack durability.

Gestalt
QLD, 14168 posts
27 Apr 2019 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

i reckon do what you need to do. id not be happy

Paducah
2463 posts
1 May 2019 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..

In no way diminishing your concerns but rigging a 9.5 120 times in 14 months? You lead an otherwise charmed life. Where I live, rigging anything half that often would be a wonder. Sadly, my '15 9.5 had to be sold to pay for my foiling addiction.

olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
2 May 2019 4:41AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Paducah, yep im a frequent flyer at my local, Golden Beach Qld. Only live 1.5km from where I sail.
I eat work n sleep sailboardin.
Its Magic alright. Livin the dream.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2018 Ezzy Lion 9.5m" started by olskool