Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2020 Goya Quad 104 / 114

Created by AlexF 1 month ago, 31 Oct 2019
AlexF
238 posts
31 Oct 2019 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Has anybody riden the 2020 Goya Quad 104 or 114 allready?
These big sizes seem to differ somewhat in the shape concept to the smaller sizes regarding the specs.

If the 114 has some "Freewave" in it, i'd consider it as my new big board (The 2018 Quad 118 had zero "Freewave" in its shape).

Shlogger
55 posts
31 Oct 2019 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

I'm looking at the 104 as well.

Dcharlton
5 posts
17 Nov 2019 3:06AM
Thumbs Up

I've got the 2020 Custom 4 114ltrs. I LOVE this board! I'm 211lbs so I needed a wave board with bigger volume. It's incredibly lively and fun for a 114ltr board. Really am enjoying it.

DC

AlexF
238 posts
17 Nov 2019 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Nice!
Do you feel it could be used as a Freewave board, too?
How easy is it to get it planing?
How stable does it feel while slogging?

Alex

seabreezer
119 posts
20 Nov 2019 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hey ALex - I think you really need to be looking at wider tailed fast thrusters if you want an element of freewave - ie Goya 3 , stubby , rrd cult , starboard kode etc .... the only way a quad might dodgy-ly fill that 'freewave' brief is if you fit say super super grunty rear fins - like 17's or something to give it some 'nose up' power .... having said that - a quad like 2020 quatro cube I reckon could offer some freewave / flying upwind credentials .... reports say it flys upwind ..

When you say freewave - your basically looking for fast lifty board able to fly off the tail (with sharper rails / less tuck ) , vs say that super planted 'control' style board - which for sure custom4 will be ...

Goya ONE would be the ultimate freewave brief - able to shred a few smaller waves also ...

AlexF
238 posts
20 Nov 2019 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

I got the info from the Goya guys that the 2020 One is more flatwater biased than the former generation, whereas the 2020 Quad is much more , say "onshore" biased then the 2018-19 Generation, especially has more power due to a wider tail and a flatter rocker than even the 2016 Quad.
I had the 2016 Quad 116 for 2 seasons but the tail was really narrow and thin and lacked a little bit of "push" for flatwater riding, even if used with a pair of 18,5 K4 Rockets.
So the 2020 has a wider tail, some volume in there, medium rocker and i'd use it with 20,5 K4 Rockets if i'd buy it.

Main focus for me isn't blasting on flatwater, but my big board shouldn't be a pure sideshore board like the former Quad generation.
Francisco told me if they would do a 115 Liter Custom 3 it would have the identical shape as the 2020 Quad 114, so that should be fine.

I just wanted to hear first hand experience,

Alex

Dcharlton
5 posts
22 Nov 2019 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

The Custom 4 is a lot of fun as a freewave board as well, the thing has some good planning and fun in bump and jump conditions. I can't speak to the Goya One but that may be more Freewave oriented. I got the Goya Custom as it seems to be the biggest wave board at 114 ltrs which also helps plane faster.

AlexF
238 posts
22 Nov 2019 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds promising.
Do you use the quad finsetup in flatwater b+j or switch to a Twin Setup?
With my former Quad 116 i felt that the Twin setup really made the board run more free than with the Quad fins.

AlexF
238 posts
24 Nov 2019 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

The Goya guys just read our discussion here and Francisco was so kind to give us this feedback by email:
Pascal here forward me your email and Seabreeze questions. Stoked to see you guys interest on the new Quad 114!!
We are really stoked with the New Lines!!

Please find here a little comparison between the 2020 from the previous 2 models:
The new 2020 is slightly longer than 2018, narrower than the 2016 and wider than the 2018, also the 2020 got a wider and fuller tail from the 2016 and 2018, and with the volume a bit more equally distributed along the flow of the board, last but not least, with a faster rocker line than all the previous models.
The DoubleConcave are mainly position towards the back of the board, with a shallower V/concaves at the front.
This makes the board more balanced, earlier planning, faster, still with a great comfort and control.

The board was designed from the feedback of bigger riders as well as from riders that enjoy riding the light winds, or basically just showing up with an almost guarantee sailing session and with a comfortable board, no matter how light or small the conditions are.

I'm really happy about the new boards and I hope that you get to try them very soon.
Also as all the Custom4s, you can ride them as Twins with just moving the 2 back fins all the way back (no much room anyway, that is to minimize the drag/weight) This will help the board release a bit quicker and will add the spice of slide of the top turns.

I'm so confident that these new boards will bring you all the best of what the conditions can offer.

Grantmac
80 posts
25 Nov 2019 1:43AM
Thumbs Up

Excuse my ignorance, by why move the fins BACK when going twin? Wouldn't you want the fin area rough balanced how it was with quads by moving them forward?

I have a flat rockered quad I'm going to try as a twin and wanted a starting place since it's not explicitly designed for it but I ride onshore sometimes.

AlexF
238 posts
25 Nov 2019 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Grantmac said..
Excuse my ignorance, by why move the fins BACK when going twin? Wouldn't you want the fin area rough balanced how it was with quads by moving them forward?

I have a flat rockered quad I'm going to try as a twin and wanted a starting place since it's not explicitly designed for it but I ride onshore sometimes.

I think he refers to the general rule that you can free up a board by moving the fins back.
Doing this with Twins leads to a little bit more backfoot pressure.
So you're right, if you want the same front/back footpressure feeling you have to move the Twins Forward.

philn
272 posts
25 Nov 2019 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 2016 Goya custom quad 116 L. I run it as a twin with 18 cm mfc fins. The fins have a longer base than the standard quad set so I had to drill a hole behind the regular hole and cut off the fin tab where the regular hole was. Has zero adjustment but doesn't need any. Board is fantastic as a twin.

Grantmac
80 posts
26 Nov 2019 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

I've only been tuning wave gear for just over a year, I thought moving the fins back made the board more directional and forward more of a pivot? My plan is to run a pair of K4 Scorcher 17cm as either quads in lighter onshore or twins in heavier, sounds like maybe I should just try it as a twin for both. The boxes in that board are very short so maybe 1.5cm total adjustment anyways.

AlexF
238 posts
26 Nov 2019 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Grantmac said..
I've only been tuning wave gear for just over a year, I thought moving the fins back made the board more directional and forward more of a pivot?

Right.
But fin back also gives a little more drive and speed.
But I guess hard to detect for us mediocre skilled riders, if we talk about 10mm.

Dcharlton
5 posts
27 Nov 2019 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Alex F,

Thanks for posting!!! I'm tempted to try the Goya 114 as a twin but really love the set up as a quad right now. Also found out a few weeks ago that I can actually uphaul this thing!!!! GREAT Board!!!

philn
272 posts
Thursday , 28 Nov 2019 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dcharlton said..
Alex F,

Thanks for posting!!! I'm tempted to try the Goya 114 as a twin but really love the set up as a quad right now. Also found out a few weeks ago that I can actually uphaul this thing!!!! GREAT Board!!!

How early planing is the 114 L? One of the "criticisms" of the previous versions was that the Quatro Cube boards were much earlier planing.

Dcharlton
5 posts
Saturday , 30 Nov 2019 3:47AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't ridden the Quattro so I can't give direct comparison. The planning power is really noticeable when compared to my 99ltr Ultrakode. Of course the added volume helps but the board does release to a plane really well for a wave board.

AlexF
238 posts
Tuesday , 3 Dec 2019 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
philn said..

How early planing is the 114 L? One of the "criticisms" of the previous versions was that the Quatro Cube boards were much earlier planing.

The previous 2018 Goya Quads weren't the best planing boards, for sure.
That was the cause i asked for the 2020 C4 Quad 114.
But for the 2020 C4 i think there's a difference in the shape concept of the boards of 94 and smaller and the big 104 and 114. Just look at the measures, e. g. how the 104 is MUCH longer and wider than the 94, usually a feature for better planing.
Compare this to e. g. the C3 thruster 91 to 98 to 106 or to the Quatro Cube range. These boards just grow slightly in their measures size by size.
What Francisco told us for the flatish rocker of the 114 (see above) doesn't apply to the 94 and smaller sizes, i guess.
German SURF magazine did test the 2020 Goya C4 94, they found it does plan better than the previous generation but still a little worse than the Cube 93.
On the other hand imo we shouldn't compare quad to quad or thruster to thruster regarding Goya and Quatro.
The Goya C4 Quad (up to the 94) is more of a twin to the Pyramid Thruster, both surfwave shapes.
And the Cube Quad is more of a twin to the Goya C3 Thruster, allround wave shapes, which should also be a better planing boards than the C4 Quad (or Pyramid).
And as mentioned above, Francisco told me if they would do a 115 Liter Custom 3 it would have the identical shape as the 2020 Quad 114, so this board should be more of an allround shape, not surfwave like the 2018 Quad 118.

Alex

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2020 Goya Quad 104 / 114" started by AlexF