Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2021 s-1 or 2020 s-1 pro

Created by Sea Lotus > 9 months ago, 5 Jan 2022
Sea Lotus
314 posts
5 Jan 2022 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

I demo tried a 2021 s-1 pro 4.4 last week, i was expecting a wow moment but didn't happen, yes it was much more comfortable and very easy to move around especially when depowered compared to my blades, but i would expect that from the normal s-1 too, for double the price i imagined 4.4 pulled like a 4.7 and be as maneuverable as a 4.2, maybe too much expectation.
The distributors own sail is the 2020 pro model and he says he loves it, doesn't change to 2021 one. That made me decide to go with 2021 normal s-1s, but i got a very good last stock deal for 2020 s-1 pros from another shop later on, this reduced the price gap considerably.

Anybody use 2020 pro model and can compare with std/pro new ones?
Doesn't the narrow window near clew cause visibility problems when riding waves?

Basher
534 posts
5 Jan 2022 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

It's difficult to compare sails year on year because so few people will have had both the pro and standard models.

I used to love my pro S1s and never noticed any window issues - but then I couldn't afford to replace them and, here in the UK we had supply issues anyway. Those supply issues got worse when covid first hit the Far East factories.
I then got the 2019 standard S1s and I was very happy with them, although they could/can be a bit top heavy.

The 2020 standard S1s were a real step up, and very like the Pros to handle and with much better top end. That year also had the convertible/short batten option - which nobody seemed to use. I'm still on some of my 2020 S1s and the build is amazing, with the sails almost as lightweight as the pros plus they are longer lasting.

The 2021 S1s were/are just as good, but the convertible batten option had gone. Again, the weight saving offered by the pro version doesn't really justify the extra price unless you have a lot of spare cash.

I've got 2022 S1s on order but they haven't arrived yet. On paper they look great, but we'll see, I guess. I've gone for the new Antracite colour because they look great. And, if I drown this year, it'll be because the rescue helicopter couldn't see me in grey rainy weather.

The main difference of the S1 over the standard Blades is that the S1 is the better wave riding sail for cross on conditions because you get more power and feel on the wave face, with more pull on the back hand.
For cross to cross off wave riding the Blades will have a better top end for that apparent wind rush, and will feel more neutral in the hands. The pro Blades I used always had a more gusty powerful feel, like the S1s - but I've not had the opportunity to try out more recent versions.

With recent versions of the S1 you can get a standard quiver of 5.2, 4.8, 4.4, and 4.0 etc.
Or else you can go 5.0m, 4.6m and 4.0m etc. This second quiver means less sails but it's not yet clear whether the 4.6 wants to be on a 4m mast or on the 370m.

I'm rambling again, and haven't really answered any of the questions asked, but this discussion might help somebody decide what they want.

Blueskydrinker
8 posts
6 Jan 2022 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Basher said..
It's difficult to compare sails year on year because so few people will have had both the pro and standard models.

I used to love my pro S1s and never noticed any window issues - but then I couldn't afford to replace them and, here in the UK we had supply issues anyway. Those supply issues got worse when covid first hit the Far East factories.
I then got the 2019 standard S1s and I was very happy with them, although they could/can be a bit top heavy.

The 2020 standard S1s were a real step up, and very like the Pros to handle and with much better top end. That year also had the convertible/short batten option - which nobody seemed to use. I'm still on some of my 2020 S1s and the build is amazing, with the sails almost as lightweight as the pros plus they are longer lasting.

The 2021 S1s were/are just as good, but the convertible batten option had gone. Again, the weight saving offered by the pro version doesn't really justify the extra price unless you have a lot of spare cash.

I've got 2022 S1s on order but they haven't arrived yet. On paper they look great, but we'll see, I guess. I've gone for the new Antracite colour because they look great. And, if I drown this year, it'll be because the rescue helicopter couldn't see me in grey rainy weather.

The main difference of the S1 over the standard Blades is that the S1 is the better wave riding sail for cross on conditions because you get more power and feel on the wave face, with more pull on the back hand.
For cross to cross off wave riding the Blades will have a better top end for that apparent wind rush, and will feel more neutral in the hands. The pro Blades I used always had a more gusty powerful feel, like the S1s - but I've not had the opportunity to try out more recent versions.

With recent versions of the S1 you can get a standard quiver of 5.2, 4.8, 4.4, and 4.0 etc.
Or else you can go 5.0m, 4.6m and 4.0m etc. This second quiver means less sails but it's not yet clear whether the 4.6 wants to be on a 4m mast or on the 370m.

I'm rambling again, and haven't really answered any of the questions asked, but this discussion might help somebody decide what they want.

+1 for the 2020 non-pro S1. Historically, dissuaded by the more battens = more stability dogma, recently been trying out a 2020 5.2m S1 and it's great. Early planing, wide tuning range, super light to handle, more stable than a 4 batten sail has any reasonable right to be. Initially rejected them as no xply window, but now pondering a quiver update next time round.

WaveMuppet
39 posts
7 Jan 2022 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

I've ordered 2022 5.2,4.8,4.4,4.0 S1s in Red, coming off 2017 blades. Was vey close to ordering 5, 4.6, 4.0 but didn't in the end (hoping the 5.2 will go fine on my Quatro Cube 87). I too am a bit nervous about the non-xply window but will see how they go. I am keeping 5.7 Blade for marginal conditions.

southsea
31 posts
7 Jan 2022 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

I'm using S1 pro's 21 4.4, 4.8, 5.2, Blade pro's 22 4.2 & 4.7, Standard S1 20 5.6, 4.0 & 3.6 (all bought used but good nic)
The S1 Pro's are a comparatively more stable foil with a more direct feel, they pump a little easier but all the difference are minimal. Minimal to the point that I would argue it makes little or no difference to your sailing. Moving from the standard to the Pro's its hard to notice the difference, where I notice is going from the pro's back to the standard seems to highlight the difference more. It isn't an improvement its just a different feel, tighter and more nimble, suit some but other will like a softer feel.

On the upside the new pro laminate (white) they are using is significantly more durable than the previous pro versions which always delaminated in areas like the head and clew and was very susceptible to punctures. (I was fortunate that I bought good nic used pro's that were cheaper than buying the current year standards)

My summary would be.....if you like your toys, have the $ and you enjoy the tighter feel go for it....but don't expect it to make a significant difference and I definitely wouldn't buy a pro at new RRP

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2021 s-1 or 2020 s-1 pro" started by Sea Lotus