3-4 batten sails in heavy, on-shore conditions

Created by OnShoreLover > 9 months ago, 12 Mar 2020
forceten
1312 posts
11 Jun 2020 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Madge said..
As a sail maker I am not even going to bother being part of this topic any more, Ezzy sails added a batten to the taka range a few years back because it became un stable In higher winds, most brands state that theres more on / off power in a three batten sail. I'm not trying to win I'm just stating facts as told by the sail makers themselves.

I have sailed a KS3 and they are great sails but you do have to change down sooner as they get very back handed. Naish and Severne both dropped three batten sails as you can only make up to a certain size because of stability problems. Most 3 batten brands only go up to 5.3m sort of size sail, I do realise that the KS3 is made as big as 6.7m and I'd really not like to use that wave sailing. Also most sails that are 3 battened have to use thicker material to support the seam shaping and are often heavier than most 4 batten sails. ( see Big Daz's chart on this topic in the wave sailing section ).

I'll say no more on this issue and let you lot battle it out as you seem to know way more than anyone else.

You say Ezzy added a batten to the Taka?
no Taka that I know of.
2014 Ezzys, Tiger 5B, also Elite 4B
2015 sees the first Taka with 3B up to current 2020 all with 3 B.

forceten
1312 posts
11 Jun 2020 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gorgesailor said..

forceten said..
And have you sailed a Taka ?

No Toold, I haven't.

Select to expand quote
gorgesailor said..

forceten said..
And have you sailed a Taka ?

No Toold, I haven't.

I think you should get one from Dave Nunn or Tim for a day.
agree that the number is the not the defining character.
i have various HSM, Ezzy and custom 4 B, they are triplets to different Mums.

Madge
NSW, 469 posts
11 Jun 2020 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

The 2015 clearly has less battens. They added a 3/4 length batten just above the boom to help with stability.

The 2016 on the other hand looks like this.

Two more battens if you add the little leech batten.

forceten
1312 posts
11 Jun 2020 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Madge said..
The 2015 clearly has less battens. They added a 3/4 length batten just above the boom to help with stability.

You are correct i forgot about the 3/4 batten. My apologies. I don't consider the mini leach end batterns as a number, except number of mini battens. I don't recall what material they are.
so David found that the 3 batten design needed additional support after year 1. Effectively a slightly less batten version the Elite and whatever the 5 batten was called, yet all different , I found the 4 B Elite a compromise, if I want control the 5 B sail was the way to go, loose the the Taka. again my bad, sorry.

Madge
NSW, 469 posts
12 Jun 2020 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

Madge said..

You are correct i forgot about the 3/4 batten. My apologies. I don't consider the mini leach end batterns as a number, except number of mini battens. I don't recall what material they are.
so David found that the 3 batten design needed additional support after year 1. Effectively a slightly less batten version the Elite and whatever the 5 batten was called, yet all different , I found the 4 B Elite a compromise, if I want control the 5 B sail was the way to go, loose the the Taka. again my bad, sorry.

Thanks you Mr Forceten, Apology is very much appreciated and accepted. In my opinion, 4 battens are good up to around 5.3m then 5 battens to hold the shape higher up in the sail as the spacing is pretty much the same as a 5m four batten sail with the increased height. Theres some good 3 batten sails out there for sure, you are right about that. Thats just my opinion, where you sail, weight, board type all help with varying factors, best is to use the sail and see how it feels, a lot of wave stuff is personal choice.

gorgesailor
598 posts
13 Jun 2020 1:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Madge said..
As a sail maker I am not even going to bother being part of this topic any more, Ezzy sails added a batten to the taka range a few years back because it became un stable In higher winds, most brands state that theres more on / off power in a three batten sail. I'm not trying to win I'm just stating facts as told by the sail makers themselves.

I have sailed a KS3 and they are great sails but you do have to change down sooner as they get very back handed. Naish and Severne both dropped three batten sails as you can only make up to a certain size because of stability problems. Most 3 batten brands only go up to 5.3m sort of size sail, I do realise that the KS3 is made as big as 6.7m and I'd really not like to use that wave sailing. Also most sails that are 3 battened have to use thicker material to support the seam shaping and are often heavier than most 4 batten sails. ( see Big Daz's chart on this topic in the wave sailing section ).

I'll say no more on this issue and let you lot battle it out as you seem to know way more than anyone else.

No battle here. Even if you are wrong. I would not have believed it if I hadn't experienced it. I was very skeptical at first. But I could easily skip a meter between sails if I wanted to. I honestly wouldn't want more top end... who want's to hold down a 5.5 in 30kts? Not me, if I did I'd be on Race sails. The sails are not everyones cup of tea - I realize that, but it's NOT because of wind range. And it's not a Quad board or light guy thing either. It's really about personal preference.

forceten
1312 posts
13 Jun 2020 3:49AM
Thumbs Up

A lot depends on where people sail or more appropriate the conditions they encounter.
if I sailed at Rio Vista Calif and the Gorge pretty much only my gear would be half so much, boards and sails.
i like having sail size choice. A meter apart would or could only work 6-7.0.

gorgesailor
598 posts
14 Jun 2020 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..
A lot depends on where people sail or more appropriate the conditions they encounter.
if I sailed at Rio Vista Calif and the Gorge pretty much only my gear would be half so much, boards and sails.

Yes we still like our sweet spot sizes - even if the sail has the range. My buddy used to skip from 4.o to 5.2 KS3 without issue as far as wind range. But as soon as he could afford it he got the 4.6 to close the hole... because who wouldn't rather sail a perfectly powered 4.6 than a super wound up 5.2.

duzzi
996 posts
15 Jun 2020 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

I have sailed for years with a 0.8/0.7 gap, 7.3 - 6.5 - 5.8 - 5.0 to 4.3, more than that I am not so sure in the Bay Area. Right now I am on 4.2-4.7-5.4-6.5, although the 6.5 with the foil thing is kind unnecessary and I only keep it to go slaloming once in a while.

BTW: I just got the 4.7 and 4.2 Point-7 Spy sails. 5 battens. Only sailed the 4.7 that seems to be the perfect bump-jump/freewave sail. Fast, powerful, VERY stable with a great forward/upward pull that really helps in chop and to catch (a bit in my case) air. It seems to have big range, I was out from powered 4.7 to 4.2 conditions with no problem. Very effective tuning adjustments and a wonderful constant drive I was really missing. I guess I am completely on Point-7 now ... I might keep the KS3 4.3 for our "swelly" spot but everything else is up for sale.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"3-4 batten sails in heavy, on-shore conditions" started by OnShoreLover