Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Ahd Tactik

Created by Dean 424 > 9 months ago, 8 Mar 2017
Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
8 Mar 2017 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Not much info out there on the AHD tactik so I thought I would write a review.

Firstly I had a set of wants.

Firstly I was looking for a board that would still fit in my long wheel base transporter.
A light wind board that I could use when I couldn't get going on my 128 litre 82cm wide slalom board with an 8.6m and so I was sure I was going to get a sail.
To use as a flat water paddle board if it was totally glassed off.
I need a board with a centre board as around Sydney harbour it is very gusty near the cliffs and usually a lot of moored yachts to navigate through.

The board
250 Litres
13kg stated weight
320cm long
76cm wide
No footstraps
No sliding mastrack
Deep tuttle fin box
Carbon centreboard

The sail
Well I'm about 90kg and took it out in pretty light conditions between 8 to 13knots.

Carrying it down to the water was really easy. When the centreboard is retracted the handle of the centreboard is right in the middle longways so easy to carry with one hand.

The first thing I noticed about the board was how good the centreboard was it so easy to put down and it has a toggle made of carbon at the back of the case to push the leading edge through the gasket. I liked the fact it didn't have a sliding mast track as being a really average longboard sailor I always tend to stand on the toggle and the mast base slides this way and that. I was surprised how well the board glides when I was only using a 8.5m Severne raceboard sail. Working across the lake the board tacked beautifully, being a bit shorter than a normal long board it came around quickly and easily, being 76cm wide made it very stable. The centreboard was so easy that if a clump of weed came along I would quickly kick it up and then down again. Gybing the board was mainly the standard flare gybe and board being quite wide was pretty stable and gave me a lot of confidence to get down the back and sink the tail. I did do one sort of carving gybe, but the rails are thick and you have to commit a lot of weight and really open out the sail. More practice required here. I was surprised at how close this board sailed to the wind and it felt a good bit more than the raceboard I use to own. I think a standard raceboard would probably beat if for speed upwind however it remains to be seen if this board can be sailed off a big, say 60cm pointer in higher winds. In the gusts normally I would kick the board up and go for a blast downwind and think it was getting planing in only 11 knots and probably earlier than I use to on a formula board with a 10m, not that I was that good a formula sailor. The sail was never loaded full up today but it felt like it was doing around 16 knots, but I remember to take my GPS next time and hopefully a little more wind. Took it for a quick paddle later as well and with the uncluttered flat deck was very nice and quick. 76cm converts to around 29.5inchs which is a nice width for a cruising flatwater paddle board.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
9 Mar 2017 5:31AM
Thumbs Up

sounds n looks like a REAL "funboard"

Mastbender
1972 posts
9 Mar 2017 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Two things~
It looks like it does have a sliding mast track, that being a box, providing location options, to me "sliding" means adjustable.
No foot straps, that's where the board looses me.
A good beginning though.

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
9 Mar 2017 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mastbender said..
Two things~
It looks like it does have a sliding mast track, that being a box, providing location options, to me "sliding" means adjustable.
No foot straps, that's where the board looses me.
A good beginning though.

Well we can agree to disagree there. Sliding in my mind means a mast track with a pedal, and adjustable means a track that can be moved as opposed a plug type of arrangement. Anyway we are not talking corporate law here with millions at stake so I will dismiss your first point.

Your second point however is valid. I actually found it quite handy in light and gusty conditions not having footsteps for my purposes, however if you where sailing in heavy chop or racing in 25 knots you would probably want the straps. However as I'm mainly a slalom sailor in flatwater locations and just want to get going in conditions under 14 knots when I don't enjoy my slalom gear, it suits me at this stage.

I could have gone done the route of getting a light wind board but the difference would only be a couple of knots from my big slalom gear and I find when it is this light it is often gusty and having something like the tactik means you can get upwind to spots where the wind is funnelling between head lands etc, which is often very difficult to do if you are not planning on light wind gear. I think AHD has filled a bit of void here.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
9 Mar 2017 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

In 2013 I was considering an AHD Tactik to replace my beat up Fanatic Ultra CAT
joewindsurfer.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-special-board-ahd-tactik.html
the question was whether to stay traditional longboard or try this D2 front, planing back section board
in the end I purchased a Mistral Equipe 2 XR carbon longboard - needing gasket replacement
with a good fin, I don't used the track adjustments on the fly nor the dagger board
this is because I also use this board under 16 knots - no need for straps either
basically old style longboards , DIV 2s, even DIV ones AND the Tactik are all about TOW/ time on water and FUN FUN
JE

snorkel962
QLD, 447 posts
9 Mar 2017 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

Nice review of the Taktic Dean! Mine is getting very beaten up now but it's a great board to sail in light wind

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
10 Mar 2017 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

joe windsurf said..
In 2013 I was considering an AHD Tactik to replace my beat up Fanatic Ultra CAT
joewindsurfer.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-special-board-ahd-tactik.html
the question was whether to stay traditional longboard or try this D2 front, planing back section board
in the end I purchased a Mistral Equipe 2 XR carbon longboard - needing gasket replacement
with a good fin, I don't used the track adjustments on the fly nor the dagger board
this is because I also use this board under 16 knots - no need for straps either
basically old style longboards , DIV 2s, even DIV ones AND the Tactik are all about TOW/ time on water and FUN FUN
JE

Sounds like the way to go Joe. The Equipe just wouldn't have fitted in my van. Thanks for your writeup anyway, it was probably the major piece of info I looked at before deciding on the tactik.

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
10 Mar 2017 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snorkel692 said..
Nice review of the Taktic Dean! Mine is getting very beaten up now but it's a great board to sail in light wind

Thanks Michael. Yep they are a pretty light so I'm trying to handle mine with care. Autumn is the low wind season here in Sydney.

gavnwend
WA, 1364 posts
10 Mar 2017 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Good for a paddleboard.you need straps to sail.just my two cents worth.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
11 Mar 2017 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Great review on an interesting board. I reckon sailing light wind with no straps makes you sail better, you have to have good sail control or you go for a swim.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
11 Mar 2017 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

what IF the Tactik came with strap inserts, but no straps ?
the board stays the same with the option to put straps in bigger winds
i have been "chatting" with Bruno Andre (can't put accents here ??) about foiling on an AHD SL2 132
should I suggest strap inserts on a Tactik and would that convince some of you to buy one ??

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
12 Mar 2017 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a plan Joe. I think reaching straps would be enough, but a seasoned raceboard sailor would be better qualified to comment I think.

powersloshin
NSW, 1654 posts
13 Mar 2017 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Dean you also have a formula board, when would you chose one over the other?

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
13 Mar 2017 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a modern version of the Bic Dufour... my first board. I was awesome in 0 to 15 knots. After that no so much.

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
13 Mar 2017 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
powersloshin said..
Dean you also have a formula board, when would you chose one over the other?

Hi George,

Sold the formula board. Just too hard for me to get out around the yachts etc around Manly with the big rigs. Plus I don't like it when it I can't get it going and need to get upwind to the sailing area to get it going. Basically the traffic is too bad to bother driving to Botany if it less than 15 knots. However if I had a clear area the formula would be more fun if you where guaranteed to be able to plane. The other thing is I have a 8.5m race sail that I'm using on the Tactik so if I'm in Botany and it is not windy enough to get going on my slalom gear I will get a sail in. If the wind picks up a bit I will put the rig on my 128lt slalom board.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
13 Mar 2017 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..
Looks like a modern version of the Bic Dufour... my first board. I was awesome in 0 to 15 knots. After that no so much.

still ride BIC Dufour occasionally (and Tactik looks better - flatter in the back section)

snorkel962
QLD, 447 posts
13 Mar 2017 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

The tactik sails beautifully in super light winds but is lots of fun and a challenge on the plane. I've only managed about 23 knots in mine but have had a hoot in the process. If you have confined water they are a great light wind option. I kinda like the lack of straps- makes you move around and optimise foot position so a great training board. I have used mine for near beginners who did well on it and have put in a small fin and used it for old school freestyle ( maybe why mine is a tad beaten up!). Worth a try. If you want to rig one sail and change down board when it picks up a good option. I have lots of open water so in the light stuff tend to prefer getting out my Ultrasonic. In a more confined area the Tactik would rule if you don't want to go Raceboard.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
18 Mar 2017 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

looks like Bruno Andre will NOT consider strap holders on the AHD Tactik ...

"The Sealion concept and Tactik board are even more fabulous because they are strapless concepts !"

from discussion here, being strapless does NOT seem to make board any less fabulous !!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Ahd Tactik" started by Dean 424