seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
27 Jul 2018 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

forceten
1312 posts
27 Jul 2018 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Why would someone wants to leave the ext in the mast ?

See that little black elastic band on the adjustment slide thingeee ? It lasts about 6 months, before degrading. Why do companies drill holes in a part to adjust it, when it comes under bend or breaking rules ? Why add parts to create additional weight ..... on on on

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
28 Jul 2018 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

When I go up the coast for a long weekend the sail stays rigged (loosen tension) as we are right on the beach. With 100% carbon mast and alu extension. The extension corrodes and becomes pitted (alu reacts to the carbon) in the space of a few days. So the plastic isolator are a good thing IMO.

tryharder
SA, 100 posts
28 Jul 2018 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

What bugs me is they say set the extension to 21 to rig my sail but the extension has 20 or 22, there's no hole for 21

Orange Whip
QLD, 1043 posts
28 Jul 2018 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tryharder said..
What bugs me is they say set the extension to 21 to rig my sail but the extension has 20 or 22, there's no hole for 21

Life is so full of disappointments!

Doesn't surprise me that S. Rasmussen, T. You and crew came up with this, they appear to be always ahead of the game looking for ways to improve our sport, good stuff!

joe windsurf
1480 posts
28 Jul 2018 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

now have to add that one to my mast extension discussion ... (done)

joewindsurfer.blogspot.com/2013/11/windsurf-mast-bases-and-extensions.html

my question is ... what about max and min extensions ??
like extensions less than 10 cm ??
still like the idea ...

Faff
VIC, 1169 posts
28 Jul 2018 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

Rental centers.

forceten
1312 posts
28 Jul 2018 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Waiting4wind said..

forceten said..

When I go up the coast for a long weekend the sail stays rigged (loosen tension) as we are right on the beach. With 100% carbon mast and alu extension. The extension corrodes and becomes pitted (alu reacts to the carbon) in the space of a few days. So the plastic isolator are a good thing IMO.

Thanks . In salt and fresh water, never had any probs . Rental centers , can see over a period of weeks. Never thought of these.

tryharder
SA, 100 posts
29 Jul 2018 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Orange Whip said..

tryharder said..

Doesn't surprise me that S. Rasmussen, T. You and crew came up with this, they appear to be always ahead of the game looking for ways to improve our sport, good stuff!

Not so much a disappointment as annoyance. I'm learning to live with but always in the back of my mind I'm wondering how much faster I would go if the sail was 1cm closer to the deck ??

snorkel962
QLD, 448 posts
29 Jul 2018 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

The SDM/RDM design really fits into that "why didn't someone do this before?" category...credit to the Starboard design team I say. The proof will be in the pudding but this looks like a great concept.

Faff
VIC, 1169 posts
30 Jul 2018 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

Waiting4wind said..

forceten said..

Thanks . In salt and fresh water, never had any probs . Rental centers , can see over a period of weeks. Never thought of these.

Rental centres are probably half of the market these days.

Imax1
QLD, 4548 posts
30 Jul 2018 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tryharder said..

Orange Whip said..

tryharder said..

Not so much a disappointment as annoyance. I'm learning to live with but always in the back of my mind I'm wondering how much faster I would go if the sail was 1cm closer to the deck ??

Why don't they drill extra holes at 90 degrees in between the other holes , wouldn't be any weaker .
I rekon 3% faster at least depending on the color.

forceten
1312 posts
30 Jul 2018 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

The Severene RED seems faster to me, over the typical black carbon or blue anodized

tryharder
SA, 100 posts
3 Aug 2018 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Imax1 said..

tryharder said..

Orange Whip said..

tryharder said..

Why don't they drill extra holes at 90 degrees in between the other holes , wouldn't be any weaker .
I rekon 3% faster at least depending on the color.

I like your thinking, not to mention the weight saving and it is the red one!
i reckon I'll be able to break the 10knots barrier with this idea.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Bloody clever, funny no one had thought of it before ! dual extension" started by seanhogan