Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Blow Up SUP/Sail

Created by JonesySail > 9 months ago, 1 Sep 2015
JonesySail
QLD, 1061 posts
1 Sep 2015 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Had a quick play with some Starboard inflatable SUP's on the weekend, I had paddled a Naish One design sup before apart from that, no experience with pump up's before, just the real deal.

I was really keen to see how easy they pump up and deflate.. one board was a 10ft SUP only the other the SUP/SAIL model.

Was really impressed by them, must say one pumped heaps quicker than the other, aside from that just a tad longer to pump up than a Kite, but was really amazing is how hard/solid they were once inflated.

They paddled almost as good as any basic 10-11ft Sup, harder to turn probably due to the volume and a lot more prone to being 'blown' in a gentle breeze, but for family fun paddling on flat water perfect.

The kids couldn't get off them! and with the soft deck and rails climbing on/off and bouncing about they were happy as, no bumps or bruises. And they gave them a fair flogging as kids do.

The Sail model has a sturdy deckplate support where you screw your mast base in, and a middle fin for stabilizing when sailing, which I would suggest is a must, as it was pretty hard to hold its line without. Not sure if you can upgrade the fins to something bigger or better if you wanted to do some better sailing?

The 11ft SUP/Sail paddled and felt better than the 10ft dedicated SUP, firmer underfoot (inflated to same PSI) and it tracked better also, single fin v' thruster also.

When it came to packing up they deflated super quickly and were easy to roll up (which squeezes the excess air out) then easily packed up into a back pack, believe the new model the bag has wheels also to make it even easier! Process takes less than 5 min.

For a fun toy that you confidently give out to the kids /family and friends and breathe easy that they cant trash it (keep your own fav hidden away!) they are perfect, and for basic learn to sail and light wind mucking around awesome. You can even semi deflate it for a camp bed mattress!

What's really impressive is the firmness once inflated, hard as, nice deck and still light enough for kids to pick up, so many winning points. The fact that you can roll them up and stick them in the boot of the smallest car is an absolute winner, would be great to have one floating around the house, give it out to family/friends for some water fun, and stick a sail on when the breeze trickles in..who knows it may even convert a few new punters.

SB 11ft Sup/Sail Rating /5

dedicated 10ft Sup /5*

*IMO Better off getting the Sup/Sail, performed better and 2 toys for the price of one!

There may be a few pics of them in action here on the Winwanderers FB site www.facebook.com/groups/382447855143305/

Thanks Andy at Windsurfing Gear for bringing them along for the kids to try and destroy!

tonyd
QLD, 396 posts
2 Sep 2015 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

May as well get a Blow up sail as well

John340
QLD, 3047 posts
2 Sep 2015 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

Why stop at blowup boards and sails

Mobydisc
NSW, 9018 posts
2 Sep 2015 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

How big is the bag? In my experience things that come in bags, sleeping bags, tents etc come in a bag. Once the item has been removed and used it is impossible to get the thing back in the bag.

JonesySail
QLD, 1061 posts
2 Sep 2015 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

yeah hate that, .. the Bags were heaps big heaps of spare room, not an issue..

Blow up kids rig looks great for kids to muck around with and get a feel for it.

CPTSLOW
SA, 44 posts
3 Sep 2015 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

I like the look of the Starboard. looking for something to teach the kids on and learn some light wind freestyle for myself.
Would you recommend ?

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
3 Sep 2015 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

JBFletch said..
Here's the more radical version.

http://www.fanatic.com/product/stubby-air-2/

8"6 X 29.5 X 4.5 (176L)

It surfs well. Will test soon as a wave board.

Looks like it could use some footstraps for light wind looping practice

JonesySail
QLD, 1061 posts
3 Sep 2015 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

that's stubby is impressive!

JonesySail
QLD, 1061 posts
3 Sep 2015 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CPTSLOW said..
I like the look of the Starboard. looking for something to teach the kids on and learn some light wind freestyle for myself.
Would you recommend ?

Absolutely! Don't forget it paddles well also, so 2 toys one price.

Have just seen on the SB site there is variety of models and sizes now just to confuse things! the Whopper model looks good also.

And there is an option to get the upgrade model that has a retractable centre board!

Looks like the 'blow up' market is about to 'blow up' ...good stuff, can see it being really attractive to newcomers, throw it in the back of the car , paddle or sail based on the conditions, then when they get hooked on either or both they will look to upgrade to hard boards for more serious performance.

MarcCRider
59 posts
3 Sep 2015 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyd said..

Hi Tonyd

where did you get this photo from? Do you know if its a prototype of a incoming product? Or just a crazy tests by some guys?
As said above, for kids 1st windsurf tries might be nice, but I have been thinking for a while of something similar to go upwind a bit on a SUP (something that can be deflated when going back donwind)

Thanks for the info!

tonyd
QLD, 396 posts
4 Sep 2015 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MarcCSup said..

tonyd said..

Hi Tonyd

where did you get this photo from? Do you know if its a prototype of a incoming product? Or just a crazy tests by some guys?
As said above, for kids 1st windsurf tries might be nice, but I have been thinking for a while of something similar to go upwind a bit on a SUP (something that can be deflated when going back donwind)

Thanks for the info!

Hi MarcCSup

Private Message Greenleader he's in the know.

Cheers T

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
5 Sep 2015 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Arrows sails... back in business

MarcCRider
59 posts
5 Sep 2015 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tony and Sean, thanks for the info

Cheers!