Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Board Bags/Travel Bag for new style boards

Created by WindWarrior > 9 months ago, 23 May 2015
WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
23 May 2015 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Not so much a review as a request for info/input.
Looking for board bags to fit new style wave boards (short and wide)
OES Hot Rods
SSD Keel Quad
StarBoard Reactor
JP Wave Slate

Most of these boards have a max length of 219 or there about's

Shortest length Flying Objects produce is 230 x 58
Have checked out Flying Objects, Neil Pryde & Dakine (to name a few) but have been unable to find anything that will fit ?

With overall length being greatly reduced on a number of boards, board bags and travel covers seem to be a fait bit slower to reach the market ?

Mark _australia
WA, 22109 posts
23 May 2015 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ no idea but fixed up the red thumb for ya Kev
Some strange crew here, seems a valid question to me

firiebob
WA, 3131 posts
23 May 2015 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

No idea either but worth a green each from me

WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
23 May 2015 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Haters are going to hate.
Snipers are going to snipe, cloaked in their veils of anonymity.
Red Thumb care factor... non existent

geared4knots
TAS, 2645 posts
23 May 2015 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Best option so far is..
buy the cheapest bag and take it to your local sailmaker and get him too reshape/shorten. 30 minute job.on a basic bag.

if you were in Tassie we could do it for you

TAA
SA, 1117 posts
24 May 2015 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Flying objects SUP travel bag.. Fits my black box and will fit my reactor
7'6 x 28 ....Great fit
Fins stay in as well

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
26 May 2015 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like Flying Objects are doing a new size for 2015/2016 that is 235x65, that should hit the spot, slightly long but good width - better than anything else I've seen around. I've had their bags before and they are the biz! Check em out www.flyingobjects.com.au/products/windsurf/multi-fin/

Cheers.

PKenny
SA, 236 posts
26 May 2015 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Windwarrior,
I am not sure if this will help. Flying Objects have a spreadsheet with different sized board bags and popular brands and models that will fit in each bag.

Might help someone else though.

www.flyingobjects.com.au/assets/Downloads/FO-Board-Bag-Chart.xlsx

26 May 2015 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guy's,

Easy enough for me to make a new design to suit this style of board, I have just made some for Vanguard style SUP's.

So what would you like?
220 x 65
or
225 x 65

I know the dimensions of the Reactor but not sure of other brands and I always like to accommodate as many manufacturers as possible.

Fin slots:
I would probably run with Twin fin? (these best accommodate Quads)
I will also make a small tweak to the nose profile to allow for the Vanguard shape

Only thing is that to make a sample and production, these bags would not arrive until end of September.

As per the above board bag chart link, I really apologies for not having done a recent update, it takes me ages to put all the info together and I have been pretty flat out. Most of it is now done for 2014 / 15 and I will update site shortly.

Cheers,
Marco

boardboy
QLD, 554 posts
26 May 2015 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

good on ya flying objects - great to see how responsive you are.
Ask and ye shall receive!

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
27 May 2015 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Flying Objects said..
Hi Guy's,

Easy enough for me to make a new design to suit this style of board, I have just made some for Vanguard style SUP's.

So what would you like?
220 x 65
or
225 x 65

I know the dimensions of the Reactor but not sure of other brands and I always like to accommodate as many manufacturers as possible.

Fin slots:
I would probably run with Twin fin? (these best accommodate Quads)
I will also make a small tweak to the nose profile to allow for the Vanguard shape

Only thing is that to make a sample and production, these bags would not arrive until end of September.

As per the above board bag chart link, I really apologies for not having done a recent update, it takes me ages to put all the info together and I have been pretty flat out. Most of it is now done for 2014 / 15 and I will update site shortly.

Cheers,
Marco

220x65 looks good for the reactor (although I think the 99l is 219x65.5), but the vanguard shapes arnt as wide - the Fanatic stubby is 212x55 and 215x57.5 not sure of other brands yet - feel free to add info if anyone knows more. Must be a challenge to keep up with a bag to fit all of these "secret" new shapes coming out keep up the good work.

19 Jun 2015 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guy's,

Sample done and in production, I went with 220 x 65 and also added a 3rd slot so you can run either Quad or Thruster setups.

So now the question of what to do with this sample? I guess the man that asked the question gets the Prize
WindWarrior the bag is in the post to Windsurf N Snow and you should be able to collect next week from Sam.

Cheers,
Marco

BSN101
WA, 2249 posts
19 Jun 2015 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Flying Objects said..
Hi Guy's,

Sample done and in production, I went with 220 x 65 and also added a 3rd slot so you can run either Quad or Thruster setups.

So now the question of what to do with this sample? I guess the man that asked the question gets the Prize
WindWarrior the bag is in the post to Windsurf N Snow and you should be able to collect next week from Sam.

Cheers,
Marco

Can we get zippered pockets made into the bags to carry fins too? Inside or outside. Maybe a screwdriver & extra bolts etc

legless
WA, 852 posts
19 Jun 2015 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Can we get zippered pockets made into the bags to carry fins too? Inside or outside. Maybe a screwdriver & extra bolts etc

Simmer Style board bags have an internal pocket to carry fins.

19 Jun 2015 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..

Flying Objects said..
Hi Guy's,

Cheers,
Marco

Hi BSN101,

This is something that we already do with our SUP bags, so not a difficult one to add to a Windsurf bag.

However our Travels Covers already use quite a few expensive materials and I need to be conscious of the price nudging up. So I would not create a zippered pocket but one much like in the below pic.

Generally we do not revise specs mid cycle but I will put this option on the drawing board for discussion with my distributors for the following range update. We do also make specific bags for Fins, Nuts and Bolts etc.....

Cheers,
Marco

stehsegler
WA, 3451 posts
19 Jun 2015 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Marco,

Not a big fan off adding pockets, zippers etc for bits and pieces. While it's convenient it unnecessarily increases the weight. Especially on travel bags every gram counts these days. I have been looking at replacing my Neil Pryde travel coffin with something lighter. What's the weight of your double travel board bags at the moment?

uweh
311 posts
19 Jun 2015 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi F O,

will this boardbag go in production ? (225/65cm )

thanks in advance

uwe

19 Jun 2015 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..
Marco,

Not a big fan off adding pockets, zippers etc for bits and pieces. While it's convenient it unnecessarily increases the weight. Especially on travel bags every gram counts these days. I have been looking at replacing my Neil Pryde travel coffin with something lighter. What's the weight of your double travel board bags at the moment?

Hi Stehsegler,

Weight is a major factor in our design process, we do aim to try and keep this down and especially on Travel Bags. The only way I would even look at this is by the method we use above on our SUP bags and the weight of this is negligible.

Wave Roller = 5.8kg approx
Wave Triple = 5.9kg approx

Select to expand quote
uweh said..
Hi F O,

will this boardbag go in production ? (225/65cm )

thanks in advance

uwe

Hi Uwe,

The 220 x 65 Twin Fin cover is in production now, however due to order cycles we only have bags being made for the Australian market.

I would not expect these to become available until early next year in Europe.

Cheers,
Marco

uweh
311 posts
20 Jun 2015 5:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hi FO,

ok thanks for fast answer...so wait till next year spring !

aloha,

uwe

DunkO
NSW, 1143 posts
20 Jun 2015 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

You'll need to send two of those stubby board bags to wws, they need one for there new demo fanatic.
I was lucky enough to take it for a spin at 5foot makaha yesterday. I was originally skeptical, but surprised how well it performed.

uweh
311 posts
20 Jun 2015 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi DunkO,

sorry for off topic...what mast are you using in your KS3 ?

thanks in advance

uwe

stehsegler
WA, 3451 posts
20 Jun 2015 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
uweh said..
what mast are you using in your KS3 ?

Judging from the colour I'd say it's one of those plastic pipes you can buy at Bunnings.

uweh
311 posts
21 Jun 2015 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

uweh said..
what mast are you using in your KS3 ?

Judging from the colour I'd say it's one of those plastic pipes you can buy at Bunnings.

a bloody cheap solution...

DunkO
NSW, 1143 posts
22 Jun 2015 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Glad you asked.

It's a CAAS extreme wave 400 100%. First time I've used it. Rigged well, felt nice.

I have this and a 370 75% on trial, I've been asked to give them a solid work out. When I've had more time rigging and riding I'll report further. The finish of the masts looks really good

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
22 Jun 2015 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

DunkO said..
You'll need to send two of those stubby board bags to wws, they need one for there new demo fanatic.
I was lucky enough to take it for a spin at 5foot makaha yesterday. I was originally skeptical, but surprised how well it performed.

uweh said..

Hi DunkO,

sorry for off topic...what mast are you using in your KS3 ?

thanks in advance

uwe

Hi Dunko,

Sorry, also off topic. Any chance you could post a more detailed review of the Stubby? Would be great to hear a bit more about its performance and characteristics on the water, pro's/cons etc....

Cheers.

uweh
311 posts
22 Jun 2015 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DunkO said..
Glad you asked.

It's a CAAS extreme wave 400 100%. First time I've used it. Rigged well, felt nice.

I have this and a 370 75% on trial, I've been asked to give them a solid work out. When I've had more time rigging and riding I'll report further. The finish of the masts looks really good

happy to ask ! thanks for fast answer ! looks good too ! why the extreme and not the normal 100 % caas rdm ?

aloha,

uwe

DunkO
NSW, 1143 posts
22 Jun 2015 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Uwe,

I've snapped a few mast in my time so went the extreme as it's a slightly heavier than their normal full carbon mast with thicker wall. So a good mix of strength v performance.

Super light mast feel great, but in real surf they don't last.

Got the 75% to compare the performance of the two, found lower carbon mast general take the beatings well.

More feed back on the CAAS masts when I've given them more testing

uweh
311 posts
23 Jun 2015 2:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hi D.,

thanks for fast answer ! and keep us updated !

aloha ,

uwe

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Board Bags/Travel Bag for new style boards" started by WindWarrior