Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Cam rotation severne R7

Created by dkeating > 9 months ago, 6 Aug 2017
dkeating
VIC, 254 posts
6 Aug 2017 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

I have 2 reflex 7s a 6.2 and 7.0 and using the correct severne 75% mast and have rigged to the correct settings played around with out haul and down haul settings but still have trouble getting the cams to rotate after a jibe.
There are plenty of these sails around does any one else have trouble, and any ideas ways to loosen this up a bit.
I would happily sacrifice a bit of performance to enable a smooth jibe.
I have an overdrive 7.8 and this rotates great (but 3 cams only )
Any ideas tips appreciated.
Thanks
Dale

nauli
WA, 69 posts
6 Aug 2017 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Hi ...I have R7's in 6.2, 7.0 and 7.8 and R7 OD 8.6...I use the Severne sdm 90 on the 6.2 and 7.0 and Blueline 75% on 7.8 and 8.6 and all rotate pretty well.
My previous R6's didn't rotate as well, so I tried a few things and fixed them...
The first thing to try is taking out the cam spacers and also try filing the round section of the cam that fits up against the batten pocket....use a rat tail file. Also make sure you have it downhauled correctly. It's a bit of trial & error. Maybe also look at batten tension, though that shouldn't have a great effect on rotation per se...

joe windsurf
1480 posts
6 Aug 2017 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

not just a Severne "issue"
downhaul more and try lubricant like McLube ...

dkeating
VIC, 254 posts
9 Aug 2017 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tips ill try this on my next sail.
Also sounds like a might need to try a bit more down haul. but it was floppy pretty much back to the boom, where as the older sails the leech twisted off only at the head. 2nd to 3rd battern.
I did down haul a bit more and noticed a bit less power in the sail but once up to speed not much difference.
I believe they are designed to be sailed over powered.

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
13 Aug 2017 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dkeating said..
Thanks for the tips ill try this on my next sail.
Also sounds like a might need to try a bit more down haul. but it was floppy pretty much back to the boom, where as the older sails the leech twisted off only at the head. 2nd to 3rd battern.
I did down haul a bit more and noticed a bit less power in the sail but once up to speed not much difference.
I believe they are designed to be sailed over powered.

In some sails, more downhaul makes the issue worse. Try adjusting both ways.

Tinlyds
NSW, 216 posts
14 Aug 2017 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dale, I have the exact same sail set and my OD rotates perfectly but I've also struggled with my Reflexes. I'm not the strongest person in the world so I ended up running one spacer (thin) on the cams. The sail still looks really good and seems powerful, however, they are still a bit hard to rotate even though I have the correct Severne mast. Question gurus -- If we left out all the spacers would the sail lose all it's performance ?

dkeating
VIC, 254 posts
14 Aug 2017 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tinlyds said..
Hey Dale, I have the exact same sail set and my OD rotates perfectly but I've also struggled with my Reflexes. I'm not the strongest person in the world so I ended up running one spacer (thin) on the cams. The sail still looks really good and seems powerful, however, they are still a bit hard to rotate even though I have the correct Severne mast. Question gurus -- If we left out all the spacers would the sail lose all it's performance ?

I did exactly the same thing and tried it on the weekend and it was still stiff but did rotate much better.
I may be happy enough at that. I just give it a huge yank at the end of the gybe.
surprisingly how a couple of mm cam of spacer can make so much difference.
I think at my level id be happy to loose a little bit of performance over comfort in cam rotation.

Tinlyds
NSW, 216 posts
15 Aug 2017 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dkeating said..

Tinlyds said..

I did exactly the same thing and tried it on the weekend and it was still stiff but did rotate much better.
I may be happy enough at that. I just give it a huge yank at the end of the gybe.
surprisingly how a couple of mm cam of spacer can make so much difference.
I think at my level id be happy to loose a little bit of performance over comfort in cam rotation.

I got some sand paper and just lightly rounded the end of the cam, left in the steel spacers, gave the batten 2 extra grooves on the reflex system (which gives it great shape) and now they rotate as good as the OD ??

Hogar
66 posts
21 Aug 2017 1:07AM
Thumbs Up

Add +2 cm downhaul and -2 cm outhaul and overtension two bottom battens as well as the bottom strap. Don't remove the spacers. This setup works great on SDM 100 & Enigma masts

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Cam rotation severne R7" started by dkeating