Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Carbon Art Boards?

Created by DaniS > 9 months ago, 18 Oct 2012
DaniS
91 posts
18 Oct 2012 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hi!
Can anyone advise me on the Sl Carbon art board is compared to Fanatic Falcons?
Is it worth to change quiver from Falcon to Carbon Art.
Thanks,
Dani.

Pugwash
WA, 5732 posts
18 Oct 2012 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Carbon Art slalom = awesome... The end

geoITA
115 posts
19 Oct 2012 12:30AM
Thumbs Up

In brief, pugwash is right.

By sure Carbon Art boards have simple, refined shapes and are extremely well built.
Should I build my slalom quiver from scratch, I wouldn't have the slightest doubt; honestly though, as you already have a set of boards, I'd say you should test. When/if you do, please don't just fit the CA's with the same fins you use on the Falcons; as each board model needs specific fins in order to deliver its best. So rather test a CA (as any other board) with the fin the owner selected.
I say this because '12 CA's need much different fins compared to '11 ones, in my view. But once properly outfitted, their performances are astonishing.

DaniS
91 posts
19 Oct 2012 4:10AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, Pugwash and geoITA.
Hi geoITA what do you mean by try it with a different fins than what i used with Falcons? Most of my fins are by Vector fins. Volts, SL weed, Delta, and Canefire.
Thanks for the help.
Dani.

Haggar
QLD, 1596 posts
19 Oct 2012 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

There are certainly a lot of different sizes to chose from, so many it is a little confusing. Which ones are the most popular and best
carbonartwindsurf.com/Boards/Slalom

geoITA
115 posts
19 Oct 2012 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hi DaniS,
OK you asked for it!
My first CA was a '08 SL58. Used it with Deboichet SL2 at first, but felt too sticky. Then I started using with Tectonics Falcon 32 and 34 (for 6.3, 7.0) and was much nicer, easier, looser.
In '09 I bought a 55 and was OK with same fins, smaller sails: the 32 with 5.9, 34 with 6.6. In '10 I got a 58 again, same fins but mostly 32 for 6.3, 34 for 7.0. With the '11 58 those same fins felt smallish and I used the 34 most of time, a few times also a 36 for 7.0. Now I have a '12 58. Started using with the Falcons, but even the 32 felt way too big (too much lift) for the 7.0! The '12 model has so much lift, I was never able to have a decent control on it using the soft Falcon fins. Now I have a 31 Vector carbon Rockit to test and I hope and believe that one will solve the control issue.

Medium wind, kind of the same. Started with a truly great '09 62 probably the board I loved the most. Mostly used it with a 38 Tomcat, with 7.0 and 7.6 (6.6 too at times); not much fin sensible, I'd say. Then I got a set of Talons and was OK with the 40.
The '10 SL66 was very nice with 7.6 and 38 or 40 Talons, 42 too in very light stuff; but never really liked it with a 7.0. The '11 66 instead had great control in messy chop and overpowered, but asked for more fin: a 38 Talon was extremely nice with a fully powered 7.0, 40 felt smallish with 7.6 and the Talons generally felt not enough powerful (probably a Vector Volt would be OK on that size and vintage).
I ordered a set of Sonntag SL-P fins for the '11 boards and received those at season end. On the '11 models actually felt very nice, more powerful but easier through chop than the Talon's.
The '12 SL66 was changed and is a fury: same as the 58, it has plenty of lift and terrific accelleration. The flexy, powerful carbon SL-P's were impossible to use on that one once powered up. With 7.0, I started trying with 37 SL-P, went down immediately to 34 and that worked only when just 'nicely' powered; in the end I tested again the Talon 36 and unexpectedly (SL-P's were easier on '11 board!) it was a lot better.
The last session I had on the 66 was in terribly messy waters, crossed waves (it was about 20 + knots onshore Southerly wind a few hours after a 25 knots SW), with 7.0. At first I tried the 36 Talon but didn't even dare to sheet in and use my harness on the (hardest) port tack; then I fitted a 35 Vector carbon Rockit: at last it was perfect, with incredible control and incredible performances. I was astonished at how the board's behaviour changed. I am buying that fin, plus a 37 for the 7.6 and the 31 fr the SL58.

Actually I didn't test the SL78 enough, but I think I will use the 42, 44 and maybe 46 Talons on that one. I also have a (rather soft) 46 carbon Canefire and that one is for super light winds, as it proved way too lifty on former '11 75. I am selling all of my SL-P's (34, 37, 40, 43, 46) as have way too much lift for the '12 boards that I am NOT going to change this time.

under finned
NSW, 76 posts
19 Oct 2012 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

I did the change over from a Freeride board to a CA SL70 back in 2010 (power up the DeLorean Doc'). Sailed a mates 125l Falcon at the time as part of the decision making process and personally found the CA much easier to sail - and gybe in particular. Volume distribution and the clean shape and rails of the CA just seem to work.

In terms of the buying decision I spent a lot of time on email with James Dinnis at CA to work out what to get. Use the "get in contact" button on the CA website as their knowledge is amazing. When I told him what and where I was sailing and he recommended a 20l smaller board I thought he was smokin' cr@ck! My time on water has got a whole lot better as a result - the guy knows his stuff.

DaniS
91 posts
19 Oct 2012 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everyone for the advise!
I think i am in for the SL 62, as James recommended, for sure it's an expensive test hope i would like it
Thanks,
Dani.

geoITA
115 posts
19 Oct 2012 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

DaniS,
you will love that board!
After all my previous writing I forgot my personal conclusion. Fin choice may vary (a lot!!!) even between different vintages of apparntly similar designs, go figure when changing brands. About '12 CA SL's: in my experience those boards require stiff fins with very low lift. As I said, the Talons are a decent choice; as possible alternatives (possibly better) I'd suggest to look for Tectonics T-43, Vector Alpha, VX/Vulcan or Rockit or probably the C3 fins that James uses himself. I don't expect powerful fins such as the Vector Volt or Canefire to perform decently control wise on '12 CA's once well powered up (unless your ones are moulded ones in extra stiff construction).

firiebob
WA, 2833 posts
19 Oct 2012 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

I've never sailed a Fanatic Falcon but have a 2012 Carbon Art SL58 which I updated from an older 58. For me it was a no brainer, great performance, not made in the same cookie factory as most of the others, nice simple lines, James is a great bloke to deal with and I could order it in my preferred colour

geoITA
115 posts
20 Oct 2012 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

Wow in red it's gorgeous!

DaniS
91 posts
21 Oct 2012 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Nice board firiebob;-)
Geo, i think i will check the Vector Rocket or Alpha.
Thanks,
Dani.

DaniS
91 posts
4 Nov 2012 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hi geoITA and firiebob!
Do you think the CA SL 55 will be good for my weight?
I am 63 Kg 162 height.
or should i should go with different size?
I was planing to get the 55 than build up to 62 after that.
Thanks for all the help.
Dani.

firiebob
WA, 2833 posts
4 Nov 2012 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Dani I'm not saying but...
I'm 87Kg and 180 odd cm (6"1"), I mostly sail ocean on my 58 with a 6.8 sail and 34 Venom, occasionally if I'm lucky and the winds up I get to use a 5.9 sail same board and a 30 Venom. On light wind days I use a 111L Futura and a 7.8 but I'm saving for a CA SL66, red of course

I'll be away for a week, let us know what you decided

geoITA
115 posts
5 Nov 2012 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi DaniS,
I had a 55 and a 62 in '09 and '10, both boards were super and sizes rightly spaced, actually I sold the 55 only few months ago. For me (6'3", 85 kg) such sizes were a bit small, so I think should be right for you.

DaniS
91 posts
6 Nov 2012 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks firiebob and geoITA.
I am ordering the Sl 55 thank the 62.
Regards,
Dani.

DaniS
91 posts
11 Aug 2013 6:07AM
Thumbs Up

I want to say thanks to firiebob and geoITA for there help. I love my new boards.

Good Sailing!
Dani.

rwearn
QLD, 22 posts
11 Aug 2013 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DaniS said..

Hi!
Thanks,
Dani.

I would go a falcon for one simple reason heaps more foot strap hole positions compared to the carbon arc I just could not find a good fit

Dezza
NSW, 615 posts
11 Aug 2013 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Are you having the cocktail to celebrate the new boards arrival?

mr love
VIC, 1700 posts
11 Aug 2013 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Obviously spent the money set aside for the new lawn mower

seanhogan
2996 posts
11 Aug 2013 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

they drink milo cocktails in the US ??

(nice quiver Dani)

firiebob
WA, 2833 posts
11 Aug 2013 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rwearn said..

DaniS said..

Hi!
Thanks,
Dani.

I would go a falcon for one simple reason heaps more foot strap hole positions compared to the carbon arc I just could not find a good fit

When I ordered my first CA, I asked James where was the best position for my weight etc, he just simply said they were already in the right spot and they were, for me anyway

Good to see you're happy Dani

DaniS
91 posts
11 Aug 2013 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

Obviously spent the money set aside for the new lawn mower

Nah!
I will set the money aside for the 2014 KA Race sails

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6450 posts
11 Aug 2013 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DaniS said..

I want to say thanks to firiebob and geoITA for there help. I love my new boards.

Good Sailing!
Dani.

Lucky bugger! I'm green with envy.Have fun!

geoITA
115 posts
11 Aug 2013 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DaniS said..

Good Sailing!
Dani.

Wow nice quiver!!! What are those, I think the 55 and 62 are those in the middle ... but have added a speed board, and a 72 maybe?

DaniS
91 posts
11 Aug 2013 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
geoITA said..

DaniS said..

Good Sailing!
Dani.

Wow nice quiver!!! What are those, I think the 55 and 62 are those in the middle ... but have added a speed board, and a 72 maybe?

Hi geoITA!
you got it, 55, 62, 72, and a speed board 50.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Carbon Art Boards?" started by DaniS