Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Chinook Pro 1 160-226 Carbon Boom

Created by jn1 > 9 months ago, 12 May 2017
jn1
SA, 1729 posts
12 May 2017 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

As Mark_Australia would say: give credit where credit is due. The clips on my Chinook Pro 1 boom cracked. Boom just over a year old. A very common fault with this model. I contacted Surfsail Australia (my dealer) and parts were quickly depatched. Parts fitted now, so all good. Thanks Mark at Surfsail Australia and Chinook for looking after me

Laurie: It would be really good to not have old topics in this gear reviews forum locked after a certain period, because replying to a gear review topic one year on is perfectly valid. Could you please turn off this feature for the gear reviews forum ?

John340
QLD, 1920 posts
15 May 2017 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 5 month old Pro 1 Chinook 160-226 carbon boom. 2 weeks ago in 18kts and using my 7.1 race sail, I hit a turtle at about 28kts. The impact and resultant catapult and my 94kg weight:
- rotated the fin and damaged the tuttle box in my board
- bent the hook on my harness straight and
- tweaked my stomach muscles.
There is no apparent damage to the boom

Vince68
WA, 646 posts
15 May 2017 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..
I have a 5 month old Pro 1 Chinook 160-226 carbon boom. 2 weeks ago in 18kts and using my 7.1 race sail, I hit a turtle at about 28kts. The impact and resultant catapult and my 94kg weight:

what about the turtle?

Tardy
2887 posts
15 May 2017 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Are we talking about a Turtle rock or a Tuttle box .damage .

nice job John .they are like floating rocks in the water ...good your are ok ..
scares the hell out of ya ..also hit one ..mine slid of the rail.

go the chinook boom ..they make great products.

Mark from surf sail always does the right thing .and great to deal with .

John340
QLD, 1920 posts
15 May 2017 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Vince68 said..

John340 said..

what about the turtle?

Condition not know. I didn't see it floating upside down, so i assumed it swam away under its own steam.

John340
QLD, 1920 posts
15 May 2017 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
Are we talking about a Turtle rock or a Tuttle box .damage .

nice job John .they are like floating rocks in the water ...good your are ok ..
scares the hell out of ya ..also hit one ..mine slid of the rail.

go the chinook boom ..they make great products.

Mark from surf sail always does the right thing .and great to deal with .

I purchased mine from Andy at WindsurfingGear.com.au.

Hopefully I've had my fill of floating rocks. In the last 12 months, I've hit 1 dugong and 2 turtles, damaging 2 fin boxes and 1 fin and destroyed another fin. They can be avoided if they surface sufficiently in front of you to react, but for all three strikes, I hit the poor creature just before they surfaced.

Shifu
QLD, 1061 posts
15 May 2017 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

I have had numerous exceptionally hard impacts with sea creatures and both my pro 1 carbon booms have survived. Fingers crossed I don't hit any more rays, turtles, and sea snakes. Bad for them and bad for me.

jn1
SA, 1729 posts
15 May 2017 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shifu said..
I have had numerous exceptionally hard impacts with sea creatures and both my pro 1 carbon booms have survived. Fingers crossed I don't hit any more rays, turtles, and sea snakes. Bad for them and bad for me.

What's it like when a sea snake wraps around your fin ?. I've always wondered about hitting snakes.

firiebob
WA, 2839 posts
15 May 2017 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jn1 said..

Shifu said..

What's it like when a sea snake wraps around your fin ?. I've always wondered about hitting snakes.

I've hit a few in FNQ, they slow you up fairly quick but nothing like hitting a turtle. It's no fun water starting knowing there's an angry snake around
Hmm, I was just thinking 20 odd years ago there were mobs on the coast of FNQ but the last few years I was there I never saw one

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Chinook Pro 1 160-226 Carbon Boom" started by jn1