Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Duotone 2020 F-Type 6.8

Created by Steve Charles 4 months ago, 8 Mar 2020
Steve Charles
TAS, 1160 posts
8 Mar 2020 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Had a few goes on this and first impressions are very good. Using the Duotone RDM 430 70% mast and rotation is perfect. Pumps up onto the the plane in sub 10 knots

petermac33
WA, 6405 posts
9 Mar 2020 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

snorkel692
QLD, 334 posts
9 Mar 2020 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Much different from the year before? I have the 2019 6.8 which I like.

Steve Charles
TAS, 1160 posts
10 Mar 2020 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure if there are any changes. They look very similar except slightly different graphics,

mikewho
SA, 19 posts
13 Mar 2020 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

What size ext u using. Any trouble with cams. My 5,8f great but bottom batten **** and with cams ok bottom but top is ****. Using north plat rdm 430. Are using cams.

Steve Charles
TAS, 1160 posts
16 Mar 2020 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

So on the 6.8 the extension is set as recommended on 36cm and the cams are left in.

snorkel692
QLD, 334 posts
16 Mar 2020 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Steve Charles said..
So on the 6.8 the extension is set as recommended on 36cm and the cams are left in.

That's what I've been doing though with an SDM. Seems to work fine though I found the initial cam rigging fiddly. Back to the 90s cam style. Somehow got better with practice! I use much less downhaul than on a freerace sail ( eg overdrive or s-type) for better or worse it's working for me. Not sure if that helps.

tonyd
QLD, 387 posts
21 Mar 2020 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snorkel692 said..

Steve Charles said..

That's what I've been doing though with an SDM. Seems to work fine though I found the initial cam rigging fiddly. Back to the 90s cam style. Somehow got better with practice! I use much less downhaul than on a freerace sail ( eg overdrive or s-type) for better or worse it's working for me. Not sure if that helps.

SDM????? really. Tried this couldn't do up the luff zippers.

snorkel692
QLD, 334 posts
21 Mar 2020 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyd said..

snorkel692 said..

Steve Charles said..

SDM????? really. Tried this couldn't do up the luff zippers.

I backed the batten tension right off and then retensioned after popping the cambers on ( with very low downhaul).

Dcharlton
36 posts
19 Jul 2020 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

I use the 5.8 F-Type and love it! And I historically have sworn off cambered sails and just really enjoy this, good power, good control, amazing range.

DC

Mort67
TAS, 360 posts
19 Jul 2020 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dcharlton said..
I use the 5.8 F-Type and love it! And I historically have sworn off cambered sails and just really enjoy this, good power, good control, amazing range.

DC

Glad to hear it... I bought the (6.8m) sail off Steve (haven't picked it up yet), it will be my light wind sail
Would have been handy today when the wind was a bit light for my 5.7m S1, until the breeze came in.
Cheers, Mort

Mort67
TAS, 360 posts
Friday , 31 Jul 2020 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Tried the 6.8m today in marginal 10-12 knots.
My first cambered sail, but the soft cambers are a breeze. Mast slides in through the cambers easily without having to "pop" them on. Pop off easily when derigging and the mast slides out of sleeve very easily.

On the water it took me a while to dial in the outhaul, harness and mast base locations, but felt pretty comfortable after a few runs/adjustments. Felt light in the hands, only had to pump a few times, but much more responsive than my nearest sail (Cheetah 7.0m). More stable and better in lulls than my 5.8m wavesail. Looking forward to another sail tomorrow.
Cheers, Mort.
PS. the outhaul in the picture looks very floppy (creases), but in the water felt/ looked OK. I started with more outhaul, but went back to close to printed specs after a while.

Mort67
TAS, 360 posts
Saturday , 1 Aug 2020 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Same sail today on Ezzy 460 RDM (as opposed to 430 RDM in previous picture). Possibly a bit more batten tension on cams. Same out haul.
Looking nice, but wind didn't come in

Steve Charles
TAS, 1160 posts
Saturday , 1 Aug 2020 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great Mort

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Duotone 2020 F-Type 6.8" started by Steve Charles