Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Equivalent isonic to 105L hypersonic and compariso

Created by dkeating > 9 months ago, 3 Apr 2011
dkeating
VIC, 143 posts
4 Apr 2011 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

Looking to up grade my 2003 105L hypersonic and wondering what size would be the equivalent to compare to. I also have a 2007 94L isonic
I use the 105L as my light wind board with a 7.8 rs-slalom this is my biggest sail and have been very pleased with the performance and the way it handles flat to slightly choppy waters. the Isonics have more volumne for similar width.
Would i notice much improvement to on a more modern Isonic.
The newer models scare me away a bit with the skinny noses and vertually no volumne forward of the mast track.
Any one familiar with these boards could tell me is this good or bad as JP and other brands still have lots of volumne forward of the mast track.
thanks for any opinions/experiences
Dale

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1824 posts
4 Apr 2011 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

The IS107 would be a good relacemement as a 7.8m would be the sweet spot for this board.

The lack of volume up front is only an issue when your slogging, you need to be careful not to submarine the nose.

tobyhodgso
WA, 300 posts
5 Apr 2011 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

I have been thinking about the same situation - what would replace beloved HS?
I have a HS105 and have rode it 4.5 to 9.0. Sweet spot is 7.5 at 80kg.
Rode a Futura 111 with my 7.5 the other day after hours on the HS105. The ride was weird at first, but faster with a GPS, more stable off the wind in the river chop. It was gusty and nothing beats a HS cruising between holes.
I reckon go something same width as HS- 77cm to replace it - Futura 133 maybe.
But might find that a 122 at 72cm wide does the job. Isonic 117 (2011 models) maybe.
Volume in front of the nose- well the HS is not a lot forward, i found that it did not matter on the Futura111, even when i was slogging a bit.
(I think if you can sail a HS then anything is within reach! it has been a test for me but oh the good times we have had! keep the HS you know you love it !)
Saying that I am looking for a Futura 101 or Isonic 101 to fang on the river in a steady breeze with a 7.5/6.6/5.5 and get some more over 30kn 2 sec speeds. Probably the Futura for easy gybing and hitting the ocean.
have a read here: www.star-board.com/2010/news_events/read.php?threadid=8010

Brett Morris
NSW, 1140 posts
5 Apr 2011 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

IS 107 (2011) is the HS 105 replacement in terms of performance.

Magnus8
QLD, 353 posts
5 Apr 2011 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

dkeating said...

Looking to up grade my 2003 105L hypersonic and wondering what size would be the equivalent to compare to. I also have a 2007 94L isonic
I use the 105L as my light wind board with a 7.8 rs-slalom this is my biggest sail and have been very pleased with the performance and the way it handles flat to slightly choppy waters. the Isonics have more volumne for similar width.
Would i notice much improvement to on a more modern Isonic.
The newer models scare me away a bit with the skinny noses and vertually no volumne forward of the mast track.
Any one familiar with these boards could tell me is this good or bad as JP and other brands still have lots of volumne forward of the mast track.
thanks for any opinions/experiences
Dale

I used to sail a Hyper 111, mainly with 8.6/7.0. Great board with massive wind range. The new Isonics are faster on all points for general sailing. Also better gybe and acceleration.

My biggest sail is a 7.8 and I have the I107. Its a perfact match, best used with a 41cm fin. It will plane up just as early (if not earlier) as your Hyper, as they are easier to get going.

Although the nose is skinnier than the Hyper, its a bit longer, so no real difference in tacking the board, overall the Isonic is better balanced.

If you had a 8.6 I would suggest the next size up Isonic.

I also have sailed the JP slaloms as well, they are great boards, just comes down to what you prefer, maybe try both if you can.

dkeating
VIC, 143 posts
6 Apr 2011 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input. I suppose the JP supersport could be another choice but seem to be a lot narrower in comparison to there volumne to the isonics and futuras. I rode the 2010 118l and it seemed more like the older style narrower slaloms than the wider isonics futuras, although i think the older supersports were a bit wider. But it still felt quite fast and comfortable, but didn't get and plane anything like the hyper in lighter winds. but i imagine top speed would be much better. I guess i need to test a few as its hard to compare volumne with width vs speed and even compatible size fins. But i still love the hyper for flat water light wind blasting.
Thanks
dale.

evets
WA, 683 posts
30 Apr 2011 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2007 Isonic 105 which I have used extensively for about 2 1/2 years with a 7.8RSS. Perfect combination in my opinion (bearing in mind I am 72kg). I recently did 210 kms on this combo and the wind was up and down then up and up! JPs may be better in big confused chop and waves but given even slightly flat water and the iso is sensational.

SeanAUS120
QLD, 680 posts
3 May 2011 2:03AM
Thumbs Up

Another +1 for the iSonic 107.

I use mine with 7.9 and 8.6 and it handles both super well. The low volume in the nose is only really an issue when tacking (but once you get used to it, its not really a drama). I don't think you can sink the nose while sailing; the board rides quite high if you have the right fin.

Probably a 40-42cm fin will be good for lighter winds with the 7.8m. Definitely a 42 if you end up with a bigger sail...

I think you'll get more fun out of an iSonic vs a Supersport or Futura. A dedicated slalom board has much more range and control as the straps are a bit more inboard at the front on the SS/Futura, so you can't get as much leverage in stronger winds so you feel the bumps more in choppy conditions.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Equivalent isonic to 105L hypersonic and compariso" started by dkeating